Harvard at Compton Abbas

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
We called in here today as we heard that the cafe was quite good and didn't realise how popular the place is.

One of the regular planes there is a Harvard trainer. Only had some basic stuff with me today, and for the first time in about 10 years, I had a card fail on me. Just as well the X-T2 has 2 card slots!! Although all I managed to get was the JPGs.

So these are SOOC with just a bit of cropping. Will be going back there again armed with the right lenses (only had my 35 f1.4 & 90 f2 in the bag) for another go.

9682 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

9681 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

9692-2 by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

A really nice set of images - the last one would be my pick. I love the colours in the sky and the plane is good and sharp - a good effort considering the kit you had to hand :)

I have driven past there probably hundreds of times but never taken the time to stop and see what's happening. Maybe I will try the cafe on my next trip down to Poole. Thanks for sharing :)

A really nice set of images - the last one would be my pick. I love the colours in the sky and the plane is good and sharp - a good effort considering the kit you had to hand :)

I have driven past there probably hundreds of times but never taken the time to stop and see what's happening. Maybe I will try the cafe on my next trip down to Poole. Thanks for sharing :)

Thanks Steve, I can recommend the crab salad, was lovely! :)

Nice. It’s a lovely airfield. I used to fly there in the 1970s. The airfield is quite hard to locate once airborne and in those days they had a double-decker bus in one corner so the pilots could find the place again.

Great shots SOOC or not. Typical Fuji colours there. :)

Great shot coming into land!

That was actually taking off!! :LOL::LOL:

(You can tell as the wheels aren't straight, they're just starting to fold up. If he was coming in to land the wheels would be down and fixed!)

And this was taken on the 90mm @cambsno

Last edited:
Nice studies Steve, the Fuji has pleasing output in such conditions.

Being pedantic, I believe that the aircraft is a 'Texan' and not strictly a 'Harvard'

Being pedantic, I believe that the aircraft is a 'Texan' and not strictly a 'Harvard'

All I can say Bob is that it looks like a Harvard, and that's what they called it, so I was happy with that! :LOL:

My knowledge of WW2 aircraft isn't bad as my Dad flew Halifax's & Wellingtons during the war, but I'm not hot on US planes, other than the obvious stuff.

A Texan T-6!

My dad owned one in the 80s, sadly, as a sulky teenager i spent more time avoiding trips in it that experiencing the amazing experience.

All I can say Bob is that it looks like a Harvard, and that's what they called it, so I was happy with that! :LOL:
Very possible Steve....many of these old birds are composite airframes and the parts are very interchangeable and that's before the confusion of the chosen markings.

Back