Harvestman eating it's old skin.

Ah well this is a great series of shots and one that I never knew existed.
I always wondered how they survive living in a place where there is nothing to eat, I see them on a nearly daily basis and I know they dont get flies or whatever so this is a great find.
Alas, the shots are a little soft again but with time you will get the hang of it and they will all be sharp.

I think it's the combination of a bad light and a cheap Minolta 75-300 lens with a Raynox stuck on it. Even on a tripod it's soft. Have a Sigma 105 on its way. Hopefully that will be ok.

Last edited:
I think it's the combination of a bad light and a cheap Minolta 75-300 lens with a Raynox stuck on it. Even on a tripod it's soft. Have a Sigma 105 on its way. Hopefully that will be ok.
That siggy should be excellent and a vast improvement.

Fascinating find. Well done documenting that.

They look fairly sharp to me, but with narrow DoF. I'm surprised it seems so narrow given that you were using f/40 for the first and f/22 for the reworked one. (The second and third images in the top post show up as private over at Flickr). Are you cropping much?

I much prefer the rework. The versions in the top post seem very dark to me. It isn't exactly under-exposed, because the histogram stretches right up to the top. I think the highlights are being protected. But as a result the top half (and more) of the histogram is extremely flat, with the bulk of the pixels falling in the bottom third of the histogram. It seems to me that for all of them the Exposure could beneficially be raised by a complete stop or so and the images then adjusted from there with the other sliders in the Basics section.

Back