Hate diesel engines - read this!

I understand where you're coming from, Toni (y) What I really don't understand are the ones who travel great distances just to stay in one place. :confused:
Thing is, I've met plenty of folk who love to tell me they've `seen the world` X hotel in Mexico, Y resort in India, Z hotel in Turkey, etc............ then tell you they were AI. o_O What is the point? (n)

Looking at the video, I think that's land-based, but the same principle would apply on a ship. :p

For the first time ever we're going all-inclusive this summer, but more for the novelty and the knowledge that if we rock up at the hotel late after a long drive back from somewhere then we'll still get fed & watered with minimal effort by the staff as they scrape the leftovers out of the bucket that was just about to be minced into breakfast I understand the desire to go somewhere guaranteed warm and a little exotic, but without the stress of having to figure out un-identifiable in a strange language or worry about interacting with locals, though it does seem a complete waste of an opportunity for adults un-encumbered with offspring.

I've added the bit you missed out

FTFY. :D

The companies could save a fortune (& create less pollution) by doing what they do in many other places ................. sail for half an hour, park up/drop anchor & let the tourists dive in the sea from the stern, then crack up the BBQ. :LOL:
I appreciate this was tongue in cheek but that's pretty much what happens, wake up in a new port each day, go ashore for whatever (food, sights, sea, etc), get back on board, sail, eat drink and be merry in the evening. Repeat for x days.

Edit- oh you mean literally sail for 30 mins and drop anchor for a week. Right. Too early..

Last edited:
Edit- oh you mean literally sail for 30 mins and drop anchor for a week. Right. Too early..

Yeah. (y)

It might even be possible to put up (or have built in) a hologram pic at every cabin porthole, which changes during the night. Cuba today .......... Italian Riviera tomorrow! :LOL:

Each to there own with cruises for me it's Vegas on the water

Each to there own with cruises for me it's Vegas on the water
Getting a bit tired of saying this, but not all cruises are the same. Yes, there are party boats rammed full of hen and stag parties going to the Bahamas out of Florida. Equally there are some very different ones, like the one I mentioned in an earlier post. Same as in this country you can go on holiday to Butlins or birdwatching in the Orkneys. Both are holidays in the U.K, but are very different things.

Getting a bit tired of saying this, but not all cruises are the same. Yes, there are party boats rammed full of hen and stag parties going to the Bahamas out of Florida. Equally there are some very different ones, like the one I mentioned in an earlier post. Same as in this country you can go on holiday to Butlins or birdwatching in the Orkneys. Both are holidays in the U.K, but are very different things.

Unless you take the rowing boat to the bird island next time, you will be guilty of killing the earth. Don't forget you must cycle and not eat any red meat. Ideally stop breathing oxygen.

:LOL:

I really get annoyed with people who slag off without having any experience of being on a cruise ship., they have no idea how good they are. I have done 5 so far and another booked for next year.

I really get annoyed with people who slag off without having any experience of being on a cruise ship., they have no idea how good they are. I have done 5 so far and another booked for next year.

fair does yours was epic most are dog s*** piles of all inclusive all consuming monsters.

Prejudice at a guess.

Without going on a cruise I would never have seen a tree like this except in the Caribbean on one of the many shore trips

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZe8SmlnCpE

Or gone up Mt Etna on another cruise
or seen Pompeii or many other places
To be fair, many people visit those places without the cruise liners.
If you love 'em, fill ya boots...I hope you have many more wonderful trips.
For me though, I can say the very thought is the stuff of bad dreams.
Give me a long haul flight, then a car and a map, every time. Don't worry about accommodation, I'll find it as I go. :)
Wouldn't it be boring if we all liked the same things. :)

Without going on a cruise I would never have seen a tree like this except in the Caribbean on one of the many shore trips

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZe8SmlnCpE

Or gone up Mt Etna on another cruise
or seen Pompeii or many other places

I've no idea what kind of fruit that is on the tree, but I've certainly seen plenty of curious trees in Africa, flown to Rome & then driven to visit pompeii and climbed Vesuvius etc etc. Perhaps a cruise is a way for those who don't wish to immerse themselves in a local culture to still visit whatever is within travelling distance of a port before returning to the ship? *Personally* I love to be able to go a bit local, but it can sometimes make life a little uncomfy at first.

the big advantage with going on a cruise you can get a taster of several different countries and next time go stay in one that you like.Ii think that is far better than getting a brochure from a travel agent and deciding by looking at pictures and reading over glamourised reports and writeups.
Ok they are only day trips away from the ship, but go on a conducted tour gives you far more information and insight about the country and culture than just going there.

Don't get me wrong, I was the most anti cruise person in the UK until I went on a "tester" on the River Nile, my thoughts were "will we are close to shore if anything happened", Then I was hooked. my wife and I flew to China (non cruise) and had a tour guide showing us the tourist attractions ,forbidden city- warriors- great wall to name just some of what we were shown.

Just going somewhere to lie on a beach is not my idea of a holiday, nothing worse can I think of. As I said before if you havn't tried going on a cruise ship with as much food a one can eat, many different restrauants serving food from different countries- (they have large stage shows every night) loads of other smaller ones somewhere else- cooking demos- gyms- swimming pools- shops duty free- usually onboard spending allowance . To top it all if not a day at sea waking up in a different country every day to explore.That is just to name some of life on a cruise ship, you won't get that stuck in a hotel anywhere

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErFwQC7D9bg&t=2s

they got more bottle than me (one of the side entertainments) youtube does't show video very well

Last edited:
the big advantage with going on a cruise you can get a taster of several different countries and next time go stay in one that you like.Ii think that is far better than getting a brochure from a travel agent and deciding by looking at pictures and reading over glamourised reports and writeups.
Ok they are only day trips away from the ship, but go on a conducted tour gives you far more information and insight about the country and culture than just going there.

Don't get me wrong, I was the most anti cruise person in the UK until I went on a "tester" on the River Nile, my thoughts were "will we are close to shore if anything happened", Then I was hooked. my wife and I flew to China (non cruise) and had a tour guide showing us the tourist attractions ,forbidden city- warriors- great wall to name just some of what we were shown.

Just going somewhere to lie on a beach is not my idea of a holiday, nothing worse can I think of. As I said before if you havn't tried going on a cruise ship with as much food a one can eat, many different restrauants serving food from different countries- (they have large stage shows every night) loads of other smaller ones somewhere else- cooking demos- gyms- swimming pools- shops duty free- usually onboard spending allowance . To top it all if not a day at sea waking up in a different country every day to explore.That is just to name some of life on a cruise ship, you won't get that stuck in a hotel anywhere

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErFwQC7D9bg&t=2s

they got more bottle than me (one of the side entertainments)

roadtrip. Take a Transporter van or sleep in hotels and see exactly what you like when you like.

I would not like to spend my holiday driving all the time, but that is just me

By putting money into local economies?
Oh the scandal!

they don't spend owt tho that's the point, they all fill up with brekkies on the boat grab the bottle of the water then get the free supplied boat into the town.

I would not like to spend my holiday driving all the time, but that is just me

Who needs to drive all the time? Far better to plan a trip, couple of hours driving a day, take time to explore. You get to see many places of your chosing, not just tourist drop offs
161428826.jpg

156431012.jpg

130463110.jpg

they don't spend owt tho that's the point, they all fill up with brekkies on the boat grab the bottle of the water then get the free supplied boat into the town.
Rhodes is funny. The town fills for about 3-4 hours with everyone sat at bars, buying tourist tat, then the horn on the cruise ship goes and off everyone trots, back to the ship, to repeat at the next port

Rhodes is funny. The town fills for about 3-4 hours with everyone sat at bars, buying tourist tat, then the horn on the cruise ship goes and off everyone trots, back to the ship, to repeat at the next port

yeah same when we stayed for a week in Santorini the little town io where all the ships dock just pulses with orientals with Nikons.

Not quite correct which goes to show how little you actually know

cruise ship day out trips pay for local tour guides let alone paying for local attractions entrance fees and help local economies. Not only that ships get resupplied by local services such as refueling- restocking food and drink which mean lorry drivers having work . They also give the dock workers jobs let alone customs officers employment. Then there are the local taxi/coach firms and drivers when a cruise ship pulls into port.
This is not even mentioning the local shops and cafes who often rely on cruise ships for income. A lot of all day tours also use local cafes etc as part of the day. That pays for the waiters- cooks cleaners- owners who then also have to order supplies to provide such services.
that is not forgetting those at those ports/countries do all the arranging/organising for those trips out,.often day trips include entertainment showing local way of life be it singing-acting -talks or whatever, all paid for by cruise ship passangers

typical example below
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9opbtzAaJA

So cruise ships don't help the local economy????? WRONG

Last edited:
Back