Critique Havana, Cuba

I love that Jon!

The treatment is exquisite and perfectly fitting the
architecture that allows plenty of light penetration
and so increases the viewing pleasure.

Very good work in my book! (y)

Last edited:
Really engaging image, a cliche I know, but you really are drawn into it.

Lovely image, only comment I would make is that it feels a little unlevel/uneven, nothing you can't fix in PP. Try experimenting with different crops and rotation, perhaps to reduce the amount of wall on the left at the start.

Edit: I think what I'm seeing is an optical illusion caused by the angle of the light coming in from the right.

Did you try any other perspectives when shooting this, I think a low level shot could be interesting. You say it was clean, get on your belly.

I really like how you've lined everything up, works really well and the way the last arch turns the corner adds intrigue. Try to edit out the detail in the last arch to make it all dark and mysterious. I think you could do without the first light, the half one in the frame.

But these are only very minor tweeks, you've done a fantastic job there.

I was I Cuba in 2012, loved it.

Last edited:
Lovely image, only comment I would make is that it feels a little unlevel/uneven, nothing you can't fix in PP. Try experimenting with different crops and rotation, perhaps to reduce the amount of wall on the left at the start.

Edit: I think what I'm seeing is an optical illusion caused by the angle of the light coming in from the right.

Did you try any other perspectives when shooting this, I think a low level shot could be interesting. You say it was clean, get on your belly.

I really like how you've lined everything up, works really well and the way the last arch turns the corner adds intrigue. Try to edit out the detail in the last arch to make it all dark and mysterious. I think you could do without the first light, the half one in the frame.

But these are only very minor tweeks, you've done a fantastic job there.

I was I Cuba in 2012, loved it.

Thanks for that. yes, it was checked on the grid in Camera RAW as I'm a bit anal about trying to get shots straight. I think you're right I maybe should have tried a lower level also. I only took a couple of shots of it, both at same level. I take note of your other suggestions and might have a fiddle with it

I really like that - The processing is excellent and the whole thing just sings class to me :)

Thank you so much for that :)

Mitzyboy, I just tried cropping the image a little on my phone just by expanding it to fit the screen.

Try cropping the image so that it is framed by the 1st arch, you can loose the empty space at the front and the part light that is just in frame.

It's nice, but ultimately it needs something of more interest, so a person way back in the scene would be great. Especially if you nailed it such that they were in the final doorway.
If you're trying to say Havana in your shot, this doesn't com across as Havana, so i'd maybe try another title. Havana has yielded so many amazing shots on it's streets over the years, all bursting with colour, old cars, textures, history and people. Very different to this genre, so folk maybe expecting something else and get a little disappointed.

I would be interested to see the photo in colour. Having been to Cuba and to Havana some years ago, the thing that stood out about the place was its glorious decaying colour and beauty... A wonderful place to much around in and great for street photography.

It's nice, but ultimately it needs something of more interest, so a person way back in the scene would be great. Especially if you nailed it such that they were in the final doorway.
If you're trying to say Havana in your shot, this doesn't com across as Havana, so i'd maybe try another title. Havana has yielded so many amazing shots on it's streets over the years, all bursting with colour, old cars, textures, history and people. Very different to this genre, so folk maybe expecting something else and get a little disappointed.

Thanks, I think I know what you mean .... I do have a number of street shots of cars and general rubbish dumped in the streets which maybe gives a better atmosphere of Cuba.

I would be interested to see the photo in colour. Having been to Cuba and to Havana some years ago, the thing that stood out about the place was its glorious decaying colour and beauty... A wonderful place to much around in and great for street photography.

Yes, a colour shot originally but converted to monochrome and a sepia filter
Havanaarches0218Website.jpg

Back