Haweswater Reservoir Today

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
No
I rather like 1 & 3, however, both have rather harsh halos along the hilltops.

Some comment:

1. Water does not look on the level, sloping down left side (maybe an illusion). Tower may have been better placed on the intersection of the third lines. I've started keeping the 'rule of thirds' grid on in my view finder as a nice reminder when your trying to compose an image. Not used for every shot but works great as a reminder.

2. Nice

3. Composition could be better grounded. Looks like it could have been taken using a drone. Leaves you feeling like your going to fall of the image to the right. Maybe pulled back the zoom a bit or lower the camera angle to catch the ground you were standing on when you took the picture....would give a bit more foreground interest also. A bit more contrast applied to the hills would also help.

All IMHO

#2 is the best of the bunch for me, the water is just slowed enough to show action and the general colours exposure is good.
I agree about the halos in 1 & 3 and #1 needs levelling, the tower is in danger of falling into the lake. :)

Some comment:

1. Water does not look on the level, sloping down left side (maybe an illusion). Tower may have been better placed on the intersection of the third lines. I've started keeping the 'rule of thirds' grid on in my view finder as a nice reminder when your trying to compose an image. Not used for every shot but works great as a reminder.

2. Nice

3. Composition could be better grounded. Looks like it could have been taken using a drone. Leaves you feeling like your going to fall of the image to the right. Maybe pulled back the zoom a bit or lower the camera angle to catch the ground you were standing on when you took the picture....would give a bit more foreground interest also. A bit more contrast applied to the hills would also help.

All IMHO

Thanks for your ideas Gary, The third one i was almost falling off the edge , I was on a cliff lol, Due to the unreal wind that passed through as we were there it wasn't safe to try any other compositions due to the weather as the other half almost blew away :D:D, All info is helpful though as i am learning Landscape photography and always take help onboard.

I guess most of the comments cover everything, but regarding No2 I'd add that I find the motion blur of the holly leaves very distracting on what would otherwise be a nice shot. I'm always very aware that on shots like these (LE) when you slow the shutter speed down and there is vegetation around its going to wave at you! So in those instances I always take shots at different shutter speeds (or you could bracket your shutter speed if your camera supports it).
Just a thought.

Back