South-East England Hawk Conservancy Andover Tuesday 25th June 10AM

Name
Darran, Daz or ****
Edit My Images
Yes
https://www.hawk-conservancy.org

I'm planning a meet at the Hawk conservancy Andover.
If you have never been it is certainly worth a visit if you are interested in photographing birds of prey.
At present I am proposing a date in May.
Sundays work well for most people but I expect it will be very busy with families visiting.
I'm self employed so I can be quite flexible, however I know week days can be difficult for some due to work.
If you are interested, post some date that work for you in May and we'll try and organise a date that works for most.

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm interested and would also prefer a quieter day - a weekday and not school holidays. I've been several times so I'm happy for those new to the place to take priority on dates.

I've just noticed there is a group discount for 15 or more people, although I'm a member so I won't count.

OP
OP
hashcake
Name
Darran, Daz or ****
Edit My Images
Yes
A young lad I know who is into photography would like to join us and his GCSEs finish on June 14th.
I can do June 19th, 20th, 21st and 25th, 26th and 27th.
If anyone can do those dates well go for the one that is popular with most.

Name
Trevor
Edit My Images
Yes
I'd be interested in this one too Daz - providing it's during the week. I try and stay away from public places on weekends if I can - as crowds aren't very nice to people in wheelchairs. I've lost count of the amount of times I've been elbowed or hit in the face with a handbag or someone's backside.

I would be driving up from the Isle of Wight via the Fishbourne to Portsmouth ferry.

OP
OP
hashcake
Name
Darran, Daz or ****
Edit My Images
Yes
I'd be interested in this one too Daz - providing it's during the week. I try and stay away from public places on weekends if I can - as crowds aren't very nice to people in wheelchairs. I've lost count of the amount of times I've been elbowed or hit in the face with a handbag or someone's backside.

I would be driving up from the Isle of Wight via the Fishbourne to Portsmouth ferry.
I think everyone will prefer a weekday so we'll stick with it
Too be honest I feel the same about crowded places.
How do the dates I posted work for?

Name
Trevor
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm glad it's not just me then. I spent most of my life in London, so crowds aren't the problem so much as the fact that people are so rude, selfish and inconsiderate nowadays.

How do the dates I posted work for?
Sorry, I forgot to say that any of those dates will suit me. :)

Name
Jan
Edit My Images
No
I can do any date except the 19th atm. That may change, but if it does it does.

Edited to say I don't like crowds either - partly because I'm a country yokel who prefers her own company and partly because I'm a shortass and the average 11 year old can block my view.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hashcake
Name
Darran, Daz or ****
Edit My Images
Yes
I can do any date except the 19th
Ok how about we aim for Tue 25h?
That way it hopefully gives you some flexibility for other days after the 19th.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hashcake
Name
Darran, Daz or ****
Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry, I forgot to say that any of those dates will suit me. :)
I'm interested and would also prefer a quieter day - a weekday and not school holidays. I've been several times so I'm happy
Are you both happy with a provisional date for the 25th?

Also any idea about time?
I'm not far from Andover I know Sky will be coming from the IoW some travel time will need to be allowed.

Name
Trevor
Edit My Images
Yes
The 25th is OK for me, but don't worry too much about meeting time on my account. It's an hour on the boat with loading/unloading etc. and about an hour's drive - I'm happy to get an early(ish) boat.

Thanks for the thought though. (y)

Name
Jan
Edit My Images
No
25th noted. Hopefully nothing will get in the way. I'm near Taunton. Google maps makes it just over 1 1/2hr but I'd normally add a good 1/2hr as I have an old lwb Defender. Even if I brought my other car (which I don't like driving any distance) the A303 can be unpredictable.
Anyone have any suggestion as to the best lenses? I have a choice of 18-135mm, 70-300mm and 150-600mm. The latter I struggle to handhold (I'm hopeless at BIF at the best of times) but I'd bring if it was going to be useful. TBH I'd probably do more watching and enjoying than photography unless I get the chance of some portraits.

Great, I won't get neck ache looking up at you then. ;)
I'm familiar with that, although being face blind, after the first glance I usually don't bother...................;)

Edit My Images
Yes
So provisionally it is 25th June then? It's a bit far ahead for me to properly commit, but probably okay. So far nothing booked up, but other half has a habit of suddenly planning trips away... with me luckily :LOL:

I'm also on the Isle of Wight @Sky! West side, so usually go via Lymington. Timewise it works quite well because I don't think they open until 10am. Not sure if sharing transport is feasible, but we can talk nearer the time if it is.

@Jannyfox last time I just used my 100-400 on a full frame Canon. There are caged birds, if you want those then wide aperture is good, but the free flying displays need longer lenses.

Edit: Just had look through previous trips. I used the 40-150 on my olympus and added an extender at times, so that's 80-300 equivalent and then 1.4x exptender. I reckon the 70-300 might be your best bet. In the display near the meadows with the kites and vultures, it all happens really fast and at times they come really close.

Last edited:
Name
Jan
Edit My Images
No
@Jannyfox last time I just used my 100-400 on a full frame canon. There are caged birds, if you want those then wide aperture is good, but the free flying displays need longer lenses.
Great. Thanks for that. I'm using a crop sensor so sounds like the 70-300 would be the best for the flying. I also have the Tammy 17-50 I'd probably also bring as for close stuff it's sharper than the 18-135. I'm fine with carrying a selection of lenses so long as the 150-600 isn't one of them. It's a bit of a lump.

Gremlin

*looks down* Yep, I'm a girl!
Name
Ingrid
Edit My Images
No
Anyone have any suggestion as to the best lenses? I have a choice of 18-135mm, 70-300mm and 150-600mm. The latter I struggle to handhold (I'm hopeless at BIF at the best of times) but I'd bring if it was going to be useful. TBH I'd probably do more watching and enjoying than photography unless I get the chance of some portraits.
Been there a few times and would agree that the 150/600 isn't the best lens, birds are fast moving in many of the displays but it is doable
Owls in the wood needs a fast lens I use a 70/200 2.8, light isn't always that great under the trees but it's a great experience
One from my last visit, which was a bright sunny day

OP
OP
hashcake
Name
Darran, Daz or ****
Edit My Images
Yes
The 25th is OK for me, but don't worry too much about meeting time on my account. It's an hour on the boat with loading/unloading etc. and about an hour's drive - I'm happy to get an early(ish) boat.

Thanks for the thought though. (y)
Is 10am okay for you?

Nod

Krispy and Kremey
Name
Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
Edit My Images
Yes
Great. Thanks for that. I'm using a crop sensor so sounds like the 70-300 would be the best for the flying. I also have the Tammy 17-50 I'd probably also bring as for close stuff it's sharper than the 18-135. I'm fine with carrying a selection of lenses so long as the 150-600 isn't one of them. It's a bit of a lump.

From (unreliable, admittedly!) memory (from a visit to the Barn Owl place near Gloucester), the flexibility of the 18-135 would be of greater use than the extra sharpness of the 17-50 (unless the 18-135 is particularly soft or you plan on big prints).

OP
OP
hashcake
Name
Darran, Daz or ****
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone have any suggestion as to the best lenses? I have a choice of 18-135mm, 70-300mm and 150-600mm.
I'll be using a Tamron 100-400 but I'll probably bring my Canon 70-300L as well.
Last time I was there I think I used a Canon 100-400L and it was happy with my photos.

Last edited:
Edit My Images
Yes
There are brief moments - like when the eagles are flying in from afar where longer would be good, but the moment is over so quickly I'm not sure it's worth carrying anything big. Having said that I've never used a zoom to 600. 70mm is the closest I've used - not sure you need anything wide. It is a wonderful experience if you've never been there before.

I agree with @Gremlin that the light for the owls is very challenging. My recent visit was easier because there were no leaves on the trees. Wide aperture definitely desirable, but you can always just sit back and enjoy the show.

Name
Jan
Edit My Images
No
From (unreliable, admittedly!) memory (from a visit to the Barn Owl place near Gloucester), the flexibility of the 18-135 would be of greater use than the extra sharpness of the 17-50 (unless the 18-135 is particularly soft or you plan on big prints).
I'll be taking both. It's just the big one I'll be leaving at home. So 17-50 (has the possible advantage of being f2.8), 18-135 and 70-300. Apart from the 150-600 and the 105 macro, that's all the lenses I have. The 70-300 I can handhold for BIF for a limited time, but depending on how close the birds come I might use the 18-135 for that. Or I might just watch..............

Name
Trevor
Edit My Images
Yes
Is 10am okay for you?
That will be fine - I'll just get a boat at around 0700 to allow for delays.

Not sure if sharing transport is feasible, but we can talk nearer the time if it is.
I always use the Fishbourne ferry as the Yarmouth one is awful to use with a wheelchair.* Although I can walk a few paces with sticks I can only stand for very short periods due to intense pain. Obviously, it would halve our costs so it would be worth it for both of us if you' like to join me (you can leave your car at my house in Wootton). My car is adapted to take my wheelchair, but that doesn't affect the front seats. I will have my Assistance Dog with me - he stays in the back though, so won't bother you (unless you're allergic to dogs).

*Unsafe ramps, rude and ignorant staff, a tiny lift and disabled toilets on the car deck that can't be accessed unless the boat is in port and there are no cars in the way. :banghead:

OP
OP
hashcake
Name
Darran, Daz or ****
Edit My Images
Yes
Excellent, we'll meet in the Hawk Conservancy car park at 10AM :D

OP
OP
hashcake
Name
Darran, Daz or ****
Edit My Images
Yes
OK great - as I'm easy to spot, you can all converge on me. Sky blue Berlingo, red electric wheelchair and an Assistance Dog (Spaniel). :)
And a camera

Name
Jan
Edit My Images
No
OK great - as I'm easy to spot, you can all converge on me. Sky blue Berlingo, red electric wheelchair and an Assistance Dog (Spaniel). :)
That makes it easy even for me. I'm no good with cars but wheelchair and spanner I can manage. If I still can't find you............. bright red Defender with animals (stuffed). He's hard to miss.

OP
OP
hashcake
Name
Darran, Daz or ****
Edit My Images
Yes
That makes it easy even for me. I'm no good with cars but wheelchair and spanner I can manage. If I still can't find you............. bright red Defender with animals (stuffed). He's hard to miss.
I think we'll all find each other without a problem. I drive a Corsa and I'll hopefully be there a bit earlier.

Edit My Images
Yes

I always use the Fishbourne ferry as the Yarmouth one is awful to use with a wheelchair.* Although I can walk a few paces with sticks I can only stand for very short periods due to intense pain. Obviously, it would halve our costs so it would be worth it for both of us if you' like to join me (you can leave your car at my house in Wootton). My car is adapted to take my wheelchair, but that doesn't affect the front seats. I will have my Assistance Dog with me - he stays in the back though, so won't bother you (unless you're allergic to dogs).

*Unsafe ramps, rude and ignorant staff, a tiny lift and disabled toilets on the car deck that can't be accessed unless the boat is in port and there are no cars in the way. :banghead:
That would be fine. Just for info, I think there is a disabled toilet on the passenger level on the Yarmouth route, but you probably know that. Completely understand Fishbourne may be easier. Love dogs, especially clever assistance ones :)

There is an 0730 ferry from Fishbourne which will probably get us there 0930-0945. It opens at 10 and the first display is at 11, so that should work. @Sky I have multilink tickets, do you? ... although I can't honestly say it's a definite for me until nearer the time.

Name
Roger
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone mind if I tag along?

Name
Trevor
Edit My Images
Yes
I think there is a disabled toilet on the passenger level on the Yarmouth route
That's for AB people - the disabled one is on the car deck as I said and can't be used unless it's in dock.

Love dogs, especially clever assistance ones
In that case you'll love him - he's a marvel. :)

There is an 0730 ferry from Fishbourne which will probably get us there 0930-0945. It opens at 10 and the first display is at 11, so that should work.
Sounds ideal, but we may get heavy traffic at that time. :cautious:

I have multilink tickets, do you? ... although I can't honestly say it's a definite for me until nearer the time.
I'll get a 25% discount on the boat for being a 'raspberry' and anyone travelling with me will get free entry into THC (as my carer ;)) so that will halve the cost of us getting in as well. :)

Edit My Images
Yes
@Sky all sounds good. Not quite sure what a raspberry is, but happy to be educated :) I'm a member so entry is free for me, but perhaps someone else could take advantage of that and share entry with you.

The traffic was pretty heavy when I went last time - not sure we can avoid it. We came back on the back road via Stockbridge and barely saw a car until Romsey where there was a bit of a jam. I'm happy to go with the flow of route and timings as you wish.

Look forward to meeting you - I've never actually met anybody from Talk Photography in the real world o_O

OP
OP
hashcake
Name
Darran, Daz or ****
Edit My Images
Yes
@Sky
Look forward to meeting you - I've never actually met anybody from Talk Photography in the real world o_O
I got back into photography last year after quite a long break and I was surprised there wasn't much activity in this section of forum.
Between 2008-11 we had some really good meets with quite a few attending.

Name
Roger
Edit My Images
Yes
All the meets seem to be up north or in London IMHO. This works out nice for me whether I am coming from WSM or Cornwall. Never been to a bird of prey place, looking forward to it.