Hawker Hurricane

Dangermouse

Squeaky Clean
Edit My Images
No
During the VE day celebrations at Hibaldstow airfield this chap paid us a short but pleasant visit

Last edited:
Real shame about the sky being so dull, it makes your shot appear dull also, sorry. its the only downside to our weather, ya just dont know *** we gonna get.

Thanks for the comments...........Next time I will order the sun beforehand and make the pilot bank into it.......oh and stop the -4 wind so my hands arent shaking at 1/250........I did expect this from wannabes

Thanks for the comments...........Next time I will order the sun beforehand and make the pilot bank into it.......oh and stop the -4 wind so my hands arent shaking at 1/250........I did expect this from wannabes

Excuse me? Wannabes? You don't even know me. Grow up.

Don't post if you don't want honest crit.

I am looking for camera shake.............and cant see any .....so could you pinpoint it out please

I am looking for camera shake.............and cant see any .....so could you pinpoint it out please

Did I mention camera shake? Nope, I said it was blurry. Could be a thousand reasons why but as you seem somewhat easily agitated I think I will pass as its just gonna fuel a tense debate. An apology for your narrow-minded ignorance wouldn't go amiss though.

Not being funny or anything .....but every photo you comment on is either "soft" or blurry .........I think you need to pay a visit to an optician.
This was shot using a D200 and a 1980s sigma lens, so either you need eye treatment or you need to get off your high horse and stop thinking everyone has a D3 and millions of £££££ of lenses me old mucka

Maybe I need to pay a visit to the opticians then as the only thing I can see that's blurry is the prop.........:shrug: I'd be happy with it. It is full size or a crop? Not that it matter's, just wondering....

As for the sky, sometimes we get a nice sunny blue day, and another time its overcast. **** happens! But I think in this instance the absence of an interesting sky makes such a great plane stand out more.

Maybe I need to pay a visit to the opticians then as the only thing I can see that's blurry is the prop.........:shrug: I'd be happy with it. It is full size or a crop? Not that it matter's, just wondering....

As for the sky, sometimes we get a nice sunny blue day, and another time its overcast. **** happens! But I think in this instance the absence of an interesting sky makes such a great plane stand out more.

50% crop with no other PP yet, and as you say a nice dark sky with an old warbird is something good(y)

Not being funny or anything .....but every photo you comment on is either "soft" or blurry .........I think you need to pay a visit to an optician.
This was shot using a D200 and a 1980s sigma lens, so either you need eye treatment or you need to get off your high horse and stop thinking everyone has a D3 and millions of £££££ of lenses me old mucka

That's quite the assumption coming from somebody that doesn't even know me. I don't own a horse either, the wife wants one though. Why would I assume that everyone owns a D3 with millions in the bank? 20/20 vision though, so it must be something else.

Perhaps you need to evaluate your critique receiving skills. Because someone doesn't say 'Great Shot', 'Awesome' and 'Good shot' doesn't mean you need to throw your toys out of your pram.

Last edited:
That's quite the assumption coming from somebody that doesn't even know me. I don't own a horse either, the wife wants one though. Why would I assume that everyone owns a D3 with millions in the bank? 20/20 vision though, so it must be something else.

Perhaps you need to evaluate your critique receiving skills. Because someone doesn't say 'Great Shot', 'Awesome' and 'Good shot' doesn't mean you need to throw your toys out of your pram.

OK comments taken onboard..........and thrown out (y)

Berore you congratulate me........could you please show me where its blurry

Sorry couldn't resist: :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

hurricane.jpg

This sounds a bit like it's getting to be a personal :dummy: between the OP and King Boru, so will leave you guys to it........

However, I stand by my comments that I like it.

Classic plane, no fluffy clouds on a blue sky but works on this one........., I am off to speccytw4ts in the morning then, as obviously I am as short sighted as a badger as looks sharp to me.... (other than the bits I have highlighted above!)

Last edited:
Cheers mate, will leave this one myself as someone is having a bad day

Sorry I agree with King Boru, It looks like the canopy and rear view mirror is a bit blurry and the shot is a bit dark. Not the greatest of shots, but a nice angle on the bbmf hurricane.
Neil

Agree Morph, will do some work on the canopy when I get round to processing the shot, thanks

I agree with Morph and Boru, you can see the blur on the exhausts and particularly the rear view mirror above the canopy. It doesn't look like bad weather to me either, more like you were shooting into a strong sun?

Last edited:
I hate to say it, but it looks slightly soft to me too - maybe a re-edit with a bit more USM...?
Does look a wee bit 'dingy' too...maybe 2/3 stop under...?

Looks like very hazy sunshine to me - note the specular highlights?

Ok made it a bit summery and got rid of the true sky, brightened it a bit and a little bit of sharpen to bet rid of the full blur:thinking:

Last edited:
Unfortuantely it now looks over-sharpened. I hate to be negative but once you have that kind of bluriness a shot can't be saved (as often happens when you stop the shutter speed down to shoot warbirds). If others like it then great, but I'm sorry I personally would probably consign that to the 'bin', sorry.:shrug: You have improved the exposure with your edit, however.

Did you take any-more shots of it?

Last edited:
The original shot was slightly blurry (but I emphasize slightly), the edit is sharp though. I do agree that the sky is a bit drab but that's not your fault. I do like it's position in the frame and nice prop blur. Looks to me like you've done everything right and the only bad thing in the shot is the weather (y)

I don't actually care what anybody else says, I think its great (y)

Sorry but the edit, to me , proves that the original wasn't sharp

Sorry but the edit, to me , proves that the original wasn't sharp

1ST shot was straight out of the camera (no processing whatsoever) so I can hold me hand up and say its not as good as it should or could be, but can you show me a straight out the box shot...........not many or none here can, its got to be ran through photoshop first..........there is a difference between a photo and something digitally altered to make it acceptable

Compensating for the AA filter is an aspect of digital photography, and yes, certainly if you're shooting RAW then post processing is required. However I think this image is a touch soft regardless of that.
As you've said kit limitations have to be take into account, we certainly don't all have D3s and 400 f2.8s and the light was against you so I would say this is a fine record of a day when you enjoyed seeing and hearing a gorgeous plane rather than a nailed image. And for that reason I'd maybe sharpen the original a touch but not as much as your edit

To save any more arguments and whatever dignity I have.....Had ...... I am deleting the image

FFS....

Lets appreciate it for what it is........ and chill, it's a Saturday night, Whigfield may want to party and a few of you may have to work tomorrow, but..... hey for most of us, chill...

An amateur togs (well no web linky in a sig so guessing an am, as opposed to pro tog with a link to a load of blown backgrounds) picture of a historic plane with a crap sky........

I know pics are up for a bit of C&C, but think of the equip used, if you can take a pic with a 20-30 yr old lens, so therefore I am guessing at manual focussing,:shrug: at f silly small, to get a 35ft plane moving at 150 knots or so in focus from nose to tail, show me your efforts??

I was planning on going out with the camera after golf today, but was a tad too damp round these parts so well done to all the toggers who got out and about....

Leave it there. Please.

well done guys....:puke::puke::puke::puke:

A big hand....:clap: to all the nonsense about a bit soft around the tail end... crap....99% of you couldn't have done better. Prove me wrong and post your pics here..

Next time you shoot a totally sharp plane, let us see it....

Esp one coming towards you at 150 knots with a crap sky..... and not with your £5k body and £7k lens.......

To save any more arguments and whatever dignity I have.....Had ...... I am deleting the image

I don't think there was anything wrong with the photo so your dignity is intact. Well done for capturing a shot of a historic plane at a good angle showing it off.
I wonder if the critics that saw the so called blur reportedly around the cockpit considered that the shot was taken at an angle looking through the exhaust gases and, therefore, the heat haze ? I would be very happy to get a shot like that.
Well done there.

Go on put it back up please. It's not very often that we get to see these old beautys anymore.

well done guys....:puke::puke::puke::puke:

A big hand....:clap: to all the nonsense about a bit soft around the tail end... crap....99% of you couldn't have done better. Prove me wrong and post your pics here..

Next time you shoot a totally sharp plane, let us see it....

Esp one coming towards you at 150 knots with a crap sky..... and not with your £5k body and £7k lens.......

It was 216mph mate and 500 quids worth of gear and thanks for the PM it meant a lot to me ------ I wont mention your name, otherwise you will start receiving the same treatment on TP as some others, myself included.....silly nicknames and such

King boru has lots to say on this, but he hasnt got a single aviation shot to his name......... anywhere.......good lad, who put him up to this then................need I say anymore

You know what, this is what ****'s me off, you have numb nuts who have to have every nut sharp in an image......... shame they are the only bloody nuts in the threads, now I would have liked to see this plane, crap sky and blurred MIRROR !! but now I won't and tonight I will be tossing and turning in my sleep thinking all the time....... how blurred was that mirror.....

Wilky ( who has £££££ cameras and ££££ lens but still gets blurred images BUT I still like um)

No-one said anything untoward Dangermouse1964, it was your over reaction to King Boru that started this whole thing off. No-one ever did anything but offer perfectly decent C+C. If you post images on here you have to be ready to cope when someone tells you something you don't like, particularly if you post shots without any editing at all, which is nothing but a standard part of photographic practice. If you choose to not listen to that C+C thats entirely up to you.

I have nothing against you Dangermouse1964. You did the right thing in trying to get prop blur, and you went for an interesting angle and I appreciate that. Yes, there was some blur and it's a shame, but it happens to us all (my keeper ratio was about 1 out of 3/4 at DX last time out). I didn't point this, or the exposure issues (which you corrected in your edit) out to insult you, I posted it because it was a constructive comment on the composition of the shot. I'm sorry you (and others) have taken it personally but that was never my intent, whether you believe that or not is up to you.

Why everyone has felt the need to attack a few people who expressed constructive criticism is beyond me.

Most of my shots @ http://www.aircraftinaction.com/

Last edited:
Back