Yes
A selection of based Hawk T.2s, shot at RAF Valley 21.06.18

42051013305_143a6b5353_b.jpg

41140702100_7bc184566a_b.jpg

29078426878_dc50f882aa_b.jpg

41140708190_484c3e1e94_b.jpg

28083145107_a3364c799c_b.jpg

GC

Lovely images. Spent 2 years living on Anglesey and the base was one of my favourite places to visit. IS the new runway complete do you know?

Nicely caught, in lovely light too.
Zippy little things, especially through the loop.

Cool DR every where, GC… but I prefer the
dynamic tonal range in the second. (y)

Lovely images. Spent 2 years living on Anglesey and the base was one of my favourite places to visit. IS the new runway complete do you know?

The main runway (13/31) was re-surfaced a few years back. It was quite a major civil engineering project but fully complete and operational now.

GC

Great images! Hopefully I will be there as a student in a few years. The T2 isn't as pretty as the T1, but technologically it's far more interesting and sends a much better pilot to the front line OCU. It's just a shame we don't have many.

Great shots but I still cant get used to the 4 Sqn colours on Hawk aircraft. I spent over 4 years on 4 Sqn Harriers . It still should be!!!

Meh, I won't get in to the rights and wrongs of retiring the Harrier early here, but all I'll say is that I agree that IV Sqn shouldn't be a training unit. It should have gone to the Typhoon Force to keep its front line tradition.
There wasn't any logical reason to not re-role 208 Sqn from 19 Sqn. 19 had been a trg unit for so long that the "tradition" no longer existed, but I'm sure the Phantom boys would disagree.

Last edited:
Great shots, thanks for sharing.

Nice to see Hawks here, hoping to see them on Anglesey in Sept

They're active most week days although Fridays can be quiet. Let me know if you need any info on photo locations around the base.

GC

We are staying at the campsite next to the airport so should be ok

Assume that's the campsite at Rhosneigr?

The shots above were taken when runway 31 was active (landing over Rhosneigr). The taxy shots were from the eastern side of the runway which is good from first light to 11.00hrs, the landing shots were from the dunes on the western side in the afternoon. Both locations are about a 10 min walk from the campsite.

If runway 19 (the "cross" runway) is active, there is a dedicated viewing car park next to the main gate/airport entrance, this is good in the mornings.

If runway 13 (opposite end of 31) is active carry on past the main gate viewing area, around the runway end then turn left at a T junction, this lane goes to the end of runway 13.

The Hawks are fairly active with a smattering of visiting types on most days. Had a first visit from an RAF F-35 yesterday but I was on a paid gig elsewhere and missed it:(

GC

Yeah that's the one, and cheers for the info, we will definitely use that whilst we are there, also planning a visit to the Loop and Corris to see if we can catch any action.

Last edited:
Back