Head Shots - Portraits - Communal thread

Buster.jpg

Loved the purple on the Wood Pigeon's neck.

Quick question - When in LR, I adjusted the highlights slider to -100 as it showed all the detail in those whites, but obviously the exposure dropped.

Adjusting the exposure slider to counteract the highlights slider resulted in the whites back to the original state.

How would I keep the detail?

DSC_5628.jpg

there is also another highlights slider in mid tone Wez - the tone curve section

other than that you would have to select an area and just apply adjustments to that - you can do that using the adjustment brush is LR and varying the feather, flow and density .. otherwise it is into PS for a "more accurate" selection

there is also another highlights slider in mid tone Wez - the tone curve section

other than that you would have to select an area and just apply adjustments to that - you can do that using the adjustment brush is LR and varying the feather, flow and density .. otherwise it is into PS for a "more accurate" selection

Thanks Bill, I kind of thought as much.

So, in PS, would it be as simple as reducing the highlights on one layer, creating another and then adjusting exposure? Would that show what I'm after?

Trying to look for tutorials on it

Thanks Bill, I kind of thought as much.

So, in PS, would it be as simple as reducing the highlights on one layer, creating another and then adjusting exposure? Would that show what I'm after?

Trying to look for tutorials on it

something like that - in PS you have lots of options - you could just mask the highlights - paint them in and then adjust - on a copy of the bg layer if it is just a simple task - and then invert the layer if you want to adjust anything else - I never really get into multiple layers unless it is really complicated

Hefty crop of a pigeon head taken at 1000mm!

16185-1471260659-0de8b92026d99dc4443760ae5cb01dd9.jpg

Last edited:
Back