Critique Headshot for critique pls.

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
No
DSC05055-Edit-2-3.JPG

As per title really, haven't done a headshot in a while so any pointers much appreciated.

Thanks

Michael

The first thing that struck me was his skin. I don't think I've seen a man with such smooth skin. Saying that " what do I know" I'm no expert. But overall I'd be happy if he was too.

What was the headshot for? What did you want to achieve with it?
Because if you wanted a casual shot, maybe the background is a little too formal. If you wanted formal shot, the clothes may be a little to casual. So, depending on what you want, the image may be perfect or totally wrong.

It was more for practice that anything else. I can easily change the background to something more colourful if that'll add anything?

The first thing that struck me was his skin. I don't think I've seen a man with such smooth skin. Saying that " what do I know" I'm no expert. But overall I'd be happy if he was too.

Unfortunately the model had quite bad skin at the time of shooting so I was necessary for some frequency separation. I've tried to keep it as I think it would be if it was clear, and to be fair to the model he's only 19 so he'd probably have pretty good skin.

It was more for practice that anything else. I can easily change the background to something more colourful if that'll add anything?

From my experience, to practice something you need to know what you want to achieve. :)
For the style of headshots that I do, I'd dismiss this photo just because of the expression on his face. I don't feel a connection with subject. But that's my approach to headshots. I want to create that connection.

For the style of headshots that I do, I'd dismiss this photo just because of the expression on his face. I don't feel a connection with subject. But that's my approach to headshots. I want to create that connection.
and I prefer the model to connect with themselves unless directed differently, tomatoes tomaytoes.
@Michael Batten Take photos that please you or your client. You could have twenty people look at your photo and each one will have a different view of what it should look like, how they would have done it etc etc. There are photographic do's and dont's but at the end of the day it's ultimately up to you how you perceive your image / s.

From my experience, to practice something you need to know what you want to achieve. :)

I appreciate your comments, I wanted to practice lighting and dealing with someone I hadn't met before the shoot.

and I prefer the model to connect with themselves unless directed differently, tomatoes tomaytoes.
@Michael Batten Take photos that please you or your client. You could have twenty people look at your photo and each one will have a different view of what it should look like, how they would have done it etc etc. There are photographic do's and dont's but at the end of the day it's ultimately up to you how you perceive your image / s.

It certainly is tomatoes and tomaytoes, personally I quite like it.

Looks good to me. Works well.........

My only comment is the layout, a portrait and certainly a bit of cropping would suit IMHO

:))

Agreed.

Well I must say. This is coming from a faffer at this stuff. Without reading the above comments, when I first saw the thumbnail and opened the thread I thought thats a great natural expression you've captured.

Gaz

Could you share your lighting set up @Michael Batten please?
I feel it just needs a little lifting of the shadows under his chin, just to give a little more definition in that area.

Well I must say. This is coming from a faffer at this stuff. Without reading the above comments, when I first saw the thumbnail and opened the thread I thought thats a great natural expression you've captured.

Gaz

Thanks Gaz

Could you share your lighting set up @Michael Batten please?
I feel it just needs a little lifting of the shadows under his chin, just to give a little more definition in that area.

The set up was a single studio flash on a 80cm gridded beauty/soft box camera right apron 45 degrees with a white reflector from camera left.

Back