Critique Headshot

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
No
Morning everyone,

Second shot with Ryan from last week.

Taking on board what Pedro said about the background, on an earlier thread, with a more casual headshot I tried as subtle blue/green. I opened up the shadows below his chin this time and added more shadow on the left hand side. Eyes have been slightly lightened and the skin had some frequency separation and blemish removal.

Thanks for looking.

v2

For me the pose is a tad bland, but that's subjective. The over exposure in some areas of the image especially the forehead and the nose is dropping off in a way that's making the red content of the skin leap out which then looks a bit harsh.
The eyes in their whites have a red tint which reminds me of getting stoned back in the day. The halo around the subjects head looks like it's done with dodge in PS which it probably isn't and if it were it should be done so no one can see it was done.
That then makes the outer areas of the backdrop look dull.

Disregard as you see fit, others will perhaps offer something totally the opposite, wouldn't be a first lol.

Kind regards

Tim

Thanks for the feedback Tim, always helpful as it's another set of eyes.

The halo was done post it's something that I've played with, personally I don't mind it, but it's tomatoes/tomaytoes. His eye was bright red when I got there as he'd be rubbing it all day. The highlights on the head disappear when I move the whites to -3 in LR.

Below is the SOOC file just for comparison.

DSC05086.JPG

Torn between backgrounds personally, couldn't resist a quick tinker. Skin tones when shooting some subjects using lighting can be awkward. The bue/green will by virtue of the colour juxtaposition against the red/yellow content make those shades pop a bit more.

Regards

Tim

DSC05086AA.jpg

I like it and feel you are heading in the right direction. Male skin is always hard to edit and I like the bluish background you've created.

Thanks @manda

Torn between backgrounds personally, couldn't resist a quick tinker. Skin tones when shooting some subjects using lighting can be awkward. The bue/green will by virtue of the colour juxtaposition against the red/yellow content make those shades pop a bit more.

Regards

Tim

Nice tinkering, I changed the background colour as @Pedro Antunes suggested that grey was possibly too formal for a casual shoot in an earlier thread.

I wondered whether I should carry some face wipes with me for headshots. How do people take it when you suggest using this?

Back