Headstone Tunnel

Edit My Images
Yes
Headstone Tunnel at Monsal Head is one of a few former railway tunnels on the Monsal Trail in the Peak District that have been opened up as part of a cycle route, I've wanted to shoot one of these tunnels properly with a tripod for almost two years and I've finally done it.

If you're in the area, Monsal Head is well worth a visit with a cracking little pub as a bonus.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome!

Headstone Tunnel by Adam Priseman, on Flickr

That was an easy shot to do since I suppose
all those lights were on:
— set the tripod and
— the camera on aperture priority
— close down the lens and
— press the shutter… easy.

The "easiness" of this shot is not my point but
its existence! The idea was born two years ago
and it is posted on this forum since 45 minutes.

I see an easy shot that could have been done all
wrong…
— setting the tripod in a lit area
— not considering the DoF
— framing the take dead centred​

And, to top it all off Adam, you render it with proper
WB and DRL. You posted an easy photograph that
had the time to mature during two years and did it
right… offering an intriguing image with cool visual
interest.

I like that, thanks for the pleasure!

We went there a few weeks back and got the same shot as you did. We were happy with it until we got home. Then we found some shots from the other end of the funnel that looked much better. Did you walk through and if so have you any shots to show us?

For some reason we didn't want to walk through the tunnel because it was raining. No, me neither!

That was an easy shot to do since I suppose
all those lights were on:
— set the tripod and
— the camera on aperture priority
— close down the lens and
— press the shutter… easy.

The "easiness" of this shot is not my point but
its existence! The idea was born two years ago
and it is posted on this forum since 45 minutes.

I see an easy shot that could have been done all
wrong…
— setting the tripod in a lit area
— not considering the DoF
— framing the take dead centred​

And, to top it all off Adam, you render it with proper
WB and DRL. You posted an easy photograph that
had the time to mature during two years and did it
right… offering an intriguing image with cool visual
interest.

I like that, thanks for the pleasure!

Thanks for the feedback, I've been back a couple of times, it's quite a nice walk that's quite local to me, I've never had the chance to do a long exposure though, I've either not had my tripod with me or I've had the dog with me who doesn't like waiting while I faff with the camera!

It's been so long since I've done a proper long exposure, I struggled with it at first, best of about 10 shots this, I put the camera in manual hoped for the best.

The WB is a little 'warmer' than it is in reality, I tried going for a realistic WB but wasn't happy with how it looked.

We went there a few weeks back and got the same shot as you did. We were happy with it until we got home. Then we found some shots from the other end of the funnel that looked much better. Did you walk through and if so have you any shots to show us?

For some reason we didn't want to walk through the tunnel because it was raining. No, me neither!

I didn't walk all the way through, it was too cold and windy, done it before though.

Adam.

I love this shot, I love the exploratory photography in england

Really like this and well executed (y) Only thought is that the wet patches in the foreground draw my eye away a bit from the brickwork and view down the tunnel

Very nice shot - certainly draws my end and intrigues me where the tunnel goes / whats around the corner :)

Headstone Tunnel at Monsal Head is one of a few former railway tunnels on the Monsal Trail in the Peak District that have been opened up as part of a cycle route

Really would like to cycle through them - might have to have a look at them (y)

Back