Heal's Spiral staircase

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I was up in London for some training last Tuesday and realised I was close to Heal's where I have wanted to photograph their spiral staircase for some time.

The staircase was designed by Cecil Brewer and completed in 1916. The staircase was refurbished in 2013 which is when the bespoke Bokki chandelier was added.

I found the white balance quite hard to get right as the lights are quite yellow but there are several windows allowing natural light in as well. Not sure that I have got it quite right across the set as a whole so might try and adjust that later but overall was pretty happy how they came out.

spiral by Steve, on Flickr

Heal's staircase by Steve, on Flickr

Heals series 3 by Steve, on Flickr

Heals series 4 by Steve, on Flickr

The first three are super very coooool! (y)
Personally, I would just tweak the low lights
recovery… a tad up! :cool:

The first three are super very coooool! (y)
Personally, I would just tweak the low lights
recovery… a tad up! :cool:

Thanks, I'll have a play. I did lift them slightly already but will have another look.

I really like the third one - even though it gives me vertigo

Cheers, It doesn't look as bad when you're on the stairs. Could have done with a camera with live view though as I was having to take a best guess and hold the camera out over the banister.

Excellent set, love the third image (y)

I always like these slightly abstract staircase shots, and these are good examples.

Is that your left foot in the third image? :)

Edit: just noticed the right one too!

Last edited:
All images look very interesting and dynamic. Compositions are hard to fault in any way.

I wouldn't mind seeing midtones pushed up a little. Definitely try black and white conversion - I think that would make them stand out even more.

All images look very interesting and dynamic. Compositions are hard to fault in any way.

I wouldn't mind seeing midtones pushed up a little. Definitely try black and white conversion - I think that would make them stand out even more.

Thanks, I'll try with editing the midtones. I've given them a go in B&W but think I still prefer the colour ones. Happy to hear others thoughts about the comparison though.

Heals B&W 1 by Steve, on Flickr

Helas B&W 2 by Steve, on Flickr

Heals B&W 3 by Steve, on Flickr

Heals B&W 4 by Steve, on Flickr

It's the colour versions for me. I really like them but #3 is my favourite too.

Not at all, they seemed quite happy for people to do it. There is part of the staircase that is staff only but still plenty of scope to take shots.

Thanks Steve, I've seen images but had no idea where they were until a presentation at the camera club last night (didn't think they were in a partdement store). Trick is now to try to construct an original image, everyone has managed some wonderful stuff so far.

Now to find a time to walk around town and take these and other stairs in

They all look underexposed to me.
Any problems going in and photographing the stairs?
When I went there I sought permission, but it was readily granted.
I was even permitted access to an area that was closed off.

Last edited:
They all look underexposed to me.

When I went there I sought prmission, but it was readily granted.
I was even permitted access to an area that was closed off.

Good to know about them giving you access to the closed off areas.

I found it a tricky balance to get the lights from over exposing yet showing enough detail. Others have mentioned bringing up the midtones which is a fair point.

I am also working with an 12 year old digital camera which struggles in low light situations and can't push the ISO much past the 250-400 level otherwise I start to get alot of noise in the image which does limit the choices I have when hand holding shots.

I won't hijack this thread, but here is a link to one of the shots I took when I visited.
View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/116923835@N07/46330922261/in/dateposted-public/

I don't recall having any exposure/contrast problems at the time.
Obviously, it's not very bright in the depths of the stairwell and you need to bump the ISO appropriately.
I used 1600 ISO so I could stop down a bit for maximum depth of field.
If you are ISO limited then I can understand your problem.

Last edited:
For those that are interested there is a guide to some of London's staircases here, although a few of the photos have been removed.
I guess you can always do a search if there are any without photos that attract your interest.

Back