Healthy Fox(es)

Name
Gil
Edit My Images
Yes
Was lucky enough to spot 2 foxes, however didn't get them both in the same frame, just one individual I think...

They seemed to be enjoying the snow, and also seemed to be in good healthy condition

HSC_7043.jpg

f8 1/1250 ISO1000 460mm
HSC_7017.jpg

f6.3 1/1250 ISO140 480mm
HSC_7034.jpg

f6.3 1/1250 ISO250 460mm

Great opportunity Gil, love seeing foxes. :)

Impeccable renditions, Gil.
Well done buddy! (y)(y)(y)

Impeccable renditions, Gil.
Well done buddy! (y)(y)(y)
Thanks Kodiak, today was a fantastic day for me :). Shame the fox turned to look at me behind all of these dead twigs!! It could smell me before it saw me!! It hesitated, then turned and stared at me, but I was ready!! The first picture was actually the last picture in the sequence. All of the others, the fox wasn't aware I was there

Always nice to see a fox even better if you get chance to get a photo lucky you

Foxes live well in my area , McDonnalds ,kebabs, pizza etc all discarded in the roads people just throw it out of the car window :mad:

Lovely images and yes very healthy looking :cool:

Lovely shots Gil, shame the fox in the first one didn't take a step forward or back, but thats wildlife for you;). Were you using your 200-500? I have the D500 and 200-500 set up but not getting the sharpness I've seen in your photographs, not sure if it's my fault or faulty lens:(.

Lovely shots Gil, shame the fox in the first one didn't take a step forward or back, but thats wildlife for you;). Were you using your 200-500? I have the D500 and 200-500 set up but not getting the sharpness I've seen in your photographs, not sure if it's my fault or faulty lens:(.

Hi Christoph - yes, taken with the D500 and 200-500. I have to say, the light was exceptional yesterday so I think because of that my results were particularly good. I have heard though that there is variation differences between one 200-500 and another. I'm lucky enough to have one that seems to be very sharp!! Might be worthwhile trying another 200-500 and seeing if you notice any difference with sharpness.

Nice work Gil, number 3 is the shot of the set for me.

I very rarely see foxes here, which is suprising as we are fairly rural but they are about, I'd love to get one on camera.

Wicked Gill the third the pose the detail,reminds me of a red husky mate what can I say ,the pose is fantastic it;s so jaunty:) T he framing is smack on for me too buddy That is a very fine chance very well taken !!

Mate good for you they are sharp cookies if wild,coming towards you is no easy thing to achiieve and you have snow and brights too deal with aswell

,nice mate !! especially that third;)

stu

Forgot to say, settings I used - auto ISO. Spot Metering / exposure compensation was set to +2 with me pulling back the exposure in PP so the snow didn't look overcooked. I'm surprised how sharp the lens is at 500mm, but these were taken just shy of the maximum focal length which I think works slightly better. AF-C at a high shutter speed to capture the action. For focus points I alternated between single point when the fox stood still and 9 point when it was on the move.

Last edited:
Thanks for the extra info Gil, I use BBF,auto iso, alternate between single point and group af and use AF-C. I am keeping the shutter speeds high. I will take your advice and get the lens checked though.

Back