Hedgehog any advice

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
I saw a hedgehog last night in my road and sadly it was too far to get away a photo with my phone. I had no idea that they were in the road before now.
Any advice about how to photograph these - is flash a no no?
I have a Canon 7D MKII and a Tamron 150-600 and a Canon 70-300 mm.
I also have a Canon 50 mm prime which is also an option because it can be used with a wider aperture.

Depending on the animal getting close to them can be easy or difficult.
Some will curl when they hear something and its a matter of waiting for them to uncurl, others, when disturbed, with rocket away.

I can't say much about using flash as I haven't seen that many hedgehogs. I have used flash and there was no problem but a few months ago I tried to take a quick shot using my phone of the hedgehog that lives in our garden and the moment the flash fired it ran off.

I think the main thing, as with most animal shots, is needing to get down to their level, which isn't very high for a hedgehog.

Dave

My neighbour used to go out in the dark and photograph our local hog on the lawn from a few feet away, presumably with a flash as he doesn't have a 'flash' camera. The hedgehog took no notice at all, or of me when I also walked and stood right next to it. So I think they are pretty tolerant creatures. The only caution I would say is not to draw too much attention to it. You don't want any kids to start thinking of it as a 'toy'. And you'll know of course that if you decide to feed it it needs to be cat food, although round here they snaffle the seed from my neighbour's ground bird feeders and turn their noses up at my fat juicy slugs................

Flash wont do any good unless you are going to use a big studio light but good luck with that.

Just get them from grass level with something reasonably long from a distance in good light

My neighbour used to go out in the dark and photograph our local hog on the lawn from a few feet away, presumably with a flash as he doesn't have a 'flash' camera. The hedgehog took no notice at all, or of me when I also walked and stood right next to it. So I think they are pretty tolerant creatures. The only caution I would say is not to draw too much attention to it. You don't want any kids to start thinking of it as a 'toy'. And you'll know of course that if you decide to feed it it needs to be cat food, although round here they snaffle the seed from my neighbour's ground bird feeders and turn their noses up at my fat juicy slugs................
Thanks for that sadly I won't be feeding it as I don't want to encourage rats.

A small spoonful of suitable food will keep it in one place for long enough to get a few decent shots and it's unlikely to leave enough to attract a slug let alone any rodents!

I recently managed these pics earlier this month, it was dusk about 21.00. I heard it snuffling about in the field just behind my garden. I was about 6 feet away when I took these. The out of camera shots were quite dark but I managed to lighten them in Lightroom. Subsequently I put food down in the garden and at least one is visiting regularly (I set up my Bushnell trail camera on the food).

Hedgehog (1) by Ian Wilkinson, on Flickr

Hedgehog (2) by Ian Wilkinson, on Flickr

Hedgehog (2) by Ian Wilkinson, on Flickr

Hedgehog (3) by Ian Wilkinson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Why is that? My flash illuminates my dog and he's a lot bigger than a hedgehog.

Would you say you get very pleasant results outdoors, particularly with unfiltered naked speedlight?

Back