HelenC's 52 for 2020: Week 52 - Decorate and finished..

I think the sky works rather well. It makes the view uncluttered. So to me a very good photo.
Very nice! It has a very calm feel to it.
Very minimalist Helen, I like it :)

Thanks for commenting guys.

Nice image, I don't think the fact that the sky is flat detracts from it at all. I do have to ask though, was there some rope hanging and swinging from the pole on the marker? I ask as there seems to be an artefact, which now that I've seen it, distracts me a little (just above the water line)?
Well spotted Jim.. there was a piece of rope tied to the marker which was flapping around during the exposure.

Lovely tones on this. I'd lose a bit off the bottom I think.

Great minimalist shot, there appears to be a path leading from the bottom right to to centre which is just subtle enough. The appearance of the sky helps (imo) to define the image.

No problem with the flat sky here either, it complements the flat water :)
You've got the silky thing done well there.
My only comment/query would be that there is detail in the silhouette, rather than them being pure black (I can't talk - I've not done mine yet!).
You could have crushed the blacks in levels adjustments. Just a thought.

Very Nice Helen, I like the simplicity of it all and for me, you've got the exposure for the movement of the water about right.

Very nice indeed Helen I could see that hanging on a wall very tranquil.

All been said above, a beautiful shot.

Week 6: Wild
Southwold this morning with Storm Ciara. Flying spray and howling gale made for some challenging conditions - especially as the sky was very flat grey - as was everything else! My original intention was to capture the waves but looking at shots from the day I rather like this one which was a slightly longer exposure. Tempted to convert to B&W but decided that I quite like the muted tones as it stands.
Came with a free facial exfoliation from flying sand :D

Wild.jpg

That's a cracking shot Helen, it say's a lot without crashing waves IMO.

Lovely shot Helen and like you, I love the muted tones. Well done.

Beautiful image Helen. I love the tones and the muted colours.

Week 5. Lovely minimalistic shot that suits the black and white treatment.

Week 6. Great wild sea scene. I like the muted tones too. Great that you had an exfoliation whilst there too :LOL:

Last edited:
Very nicely taken shot Helen, looks quite breezy there like us here with slight 70mph breeze.

Nicely done Helen, I braved it this morning for high tide, I am still slightly salted!
Yes Clive.. I've was still tasting salt hours after getting home!

Very brave of you to go out in that kind of condition just to take photos for this Challenge. That's a cracking shot, good exposure and timing too. No need to convert to black and white its wonderful as is.
That's dedication! Very wild - lovely shot and captures the storm nicely.

Thanks for the lovely comments. To be honest I don't think our part of the country has been affected as much as the rest. The wind has died down at the moment and we've had little rain so far! Hope the rest of you have survived okay.

That's a cracking shot Helen, it say's a lot without crashing waves IMO.
Lovely shot Helen and like you, I love the muted tones. Well done.
Beautiful image Helen. I love the tones and the muted colours.
Fantastic image. Stunning work.
Lovely minimalistic shot that suits the black and white treatment.

Thanks for the comments. Given the conditions I was surprised to come back with anything half decent so was pleasantly surprised. Very obliging of Storm Ciara to play ball with this weeks theme!

Another great wild sea shot, I'm jealous. Well taken.

Sums up the feisty but gloomy weather nicely :)

Do like a nice Pier Shot, nicely captured and the muted colours really suit.

Snappers Choice: Love it. I'd put that on my wall.

Wild: Topical and well captured.

Great capture showing the movement of the water, I’m not brave enough yet to venture out for this type of shot

Liking the boat shot Helen, looks like it has been there for a while but still has plenty colour in it.
Silhouette shot i don't think is mundane at all, works really well with the almost grey colour scheme.
Certainly looks a bit wild there, rather you than me taking images in this weather, and it seems you obviously live near the coast going by your subjects, which is no bad thing.

You managed to survive then. It certainly does look a bit blustery.

Had a road trip up to Norfolk specifically to photograph some very broken sea defenses. Some idiot transposed the tide times and arrived at high (should've been low) tide! Doh... :banghead:
Trip down the coast to take some nice long exposures but nothing connected to the theme.. then saw this out at sea.. one of them appears to be broken :D

Not a great image as it was too far out for my 70-200mm and I don't have anything longer.

Lighthouse.jpg

Last edited:
Wild - love this, you've got the perfect amount of movement on the water and the composition is great.

Broken - good spot and fits the theme well, and more good movement (you seem to be the shutter speed master ;) )

Very good to get the blur, like the monochrome conversion and fits the theme spot on. As above a good spot.

Back