HelenC's 52 for 2020: Week 52 - Decorate and finished..

Cracking set of images to kick off your 52 project Helen.
Local is very detailed and seeing the colour version, I definitely prefer the mono version.
Nice set of shots for Pleasure. I think your original shot is my preference.
Cracking shot for tool. Very nice composition and the mono works so well.

Very nice Helen lovely textures and details in there great B&W conversion

I like the half finished wicker basket with the tools to complete the work in front. Nice mix and textures and colours and the B&W processing is very well done again.

Nice processing Helen.
And an interesting array of tools.

Nice set of tools Helen, highlights are handled well and like the dinky iron.

Suits B&W and a nice composition.

Cracking shot for tool. Very nice composition and the mono works so well.

I really like the use of the tools' project in the photo - the B&w conversion is lovely.

Thanks folks for all the nice comments. The tools used in basket making are varied and some come from rope making and other sources. The rapping iron is my favourite - used for beating down the weave with some force - most therapeutic! The iron is used as a weight. Unfortunately the basket has been waiting in the wings to be finished for quite a while now so came in handy for the shot.

Nicely processed and well suited to B&W.
Did you consider any other aspect ratios? I have a feeling 4x5 might also suit as it would concentrate you on the tools themselves. Thoughts?

Hiya LC2 - thanks for the comments.
I did try cropping slightly differently but quite liked the stakes of the basket under construction being part of the background. Here it is in 4x5 which does focus more on the tools as the subject. Personally I still think I prefer the first image?
Helen

Tools new.jpg

Nice mono. The modern plastic handles are a bit incongruous but otherwise good stuff.

I like that you have included the basket in progress to show what they are for.

That's an interesting layout, Helen, and showing the basket in progress is an excellent touch and tells the story perfectly. I will say straightaway that I wish the pliers in the foreground were either all in focus or not there at all because I found it distracting once I noticed, but everything else is spot on. I particularly like the way the bright metal parts of the tools contrast strongly with the dark strands behind them (y)

Went for a beach walk and had a dilemma between "abandoned" and "discarded". Most, for me, fitted with the former rather than the latter. However, compromised on the fact that the contents of this were definitely in the discarded camp.

Boat.jpg

Abandoned can be a synonym for discarded... Great shot... Am thinking a really grainy black and white edited to look old for this one....

Nice image for Discarded and right on the theme. I love the colours you've pulled out of the lichens etc and you've managed the DoF perfectly, I think.

Abandoned can be a synonym for discarded... Great shot... Am thinking a really grainy black and white edited to look old for this one....

Nice image for Discarded and right on the theme. I love the colours you've pulled out of the lichens etc and you've managed the DoF perfectly, I think.

Thanks both Agreed on the synonym. It's just me being pedantic. I am expert making life difficult for myself :(. I resisted the B&W conversion as I rather liked the colours too (for once.. )

Nice shot for the theme Helen but I would have liked a bit more space around it. Just a tad too tightly cropped for me.

Both work Helen, but I have to say the 2nd one is my favourite (y)

Excellent images there Helen!
Both are perfect fits for the theme, well spotted.

#1 is really super...I like the composition, (though as Joan said, it's cropped a teeny bit tight) and the texture detail on the mossy(?) bits is great.
Very nicely captured and a great angle.
#2 is terrific - the rust textures on the engine are marvellous...it's definitely not seaworthy!!:giggle:
Great work.(y)

Nice shot for the theme Helen but I would have liked a bit more space around it. Just a tad too tightly cropped for me.
Excellent images there Helen!
Both are perfect fits for the theme, well spotted.

#1 is really super...I like the composition, (though as Joan said, it's cropped a teeny bit tight) and the texture detail on the mossy(?) bits is great.
Very nicely captured and a great angle.
#2 is terrific - the rust textures on the engine are marvellous...it's definitely not seaworthy!!:giggle:
Great work.(y)

Thanks both for the feedback. I tend to crop quite tightly anyway but on this occasion there was also a lot to crop out - including the couple with the dog who seemed intent on getting in on the shot :wave:

Really like that Helen I also like your second image and nice detail shot.

#1 is a good shot, but I think #2 for me (though I would have wanted a little more headroom in the shot).
Looks like there are plenty of abandoned spares there :)

ETA: You've doubled your tally in 2012 now :)

Hi Helen,
I think a few of us had a similar conversation in our heads of discarded or abandoned. It’s like the old tomaatto, tomato conversation :)
I loved both these photos and the detail in the second is fab. Thumbs up from me great composition.

Great shot, but I agree with the crop comments. I think there needs to be less boat basically, and maybe a b/w version would look good!!

#1 is a good shot, but I think #2 for me (though I would have wanted a little more headroom in the shot).
They're a bit tight, but the subjects are great! I really like the photos - very on theme!
Great shot, but I agree with the crop comments. I think there needs to be less boat basically, and maybe a b/w version would look good!!

Thanks guys.. comments noted.. will have to have a look at my cropping habits in future.
The second shot has little headroom as I had to crop out the Sizewell cooling towers in the background and is the main reason I discarded (sic.. ) that image. I'm in the camp of not "editing out" unwanted items in my images. If it was there it stays there.

Hi Helen,
I think a few of us had a similar conversation in our heads of discarded or abandoned. It’s like the old tomaatto, tomato conversation :)
I loved both these photos and the detail in the second is fab. Thumbs up from me great composition.

Thanks Gritty - not just me overthinking the subject.

Really like that Helen I also like your second image and nice detail shot.
I like that Helen and I think it works well in colour.
Thanks both.. much appreciated.

I like the fist one best but agree it could do with a bit more space around it

Not B&W? Nicely composed , interesting colours and textures! But maybe a bit tightly cropped on the right?

Nice shots for discarded, it seems there are boats discarded all over the place, I wonder how that happens.

Like your shot for tools, nicely composed and suits mono.
Discarded works very well, might of tried mono on that myself.

I had the same to-ing and fro-ing in my head about abandoned and discarded :) Apart from the tight crop on the right hand side, which seems as though it was forced upon you, this is a great find for the theme with the added interest of the glimpse of the interior and the colourful lichen on the hull. The other image would also work for this theme and the colour and texture of rust is always a winner for me but the first one just pips it.

You've pick the right photo for the main thread, the other photo is a little busy on the right hand side for me.

Trotted along to the coast to try some long exposures for the technical silhouette as lots of dramatic sky inland. Unfortunately once it hit the coast it turned flat grey so a pretty humdrum mediocre shot. However, gets the technical out of the way :)

Bawdsey.jpg

I think the sky works rather well. It makes the view uncluttered. So to me a very good photo.

Very minimalist Helen, I like it :)

Nice image, I don't think the fact that the sky is flat detracts from it at all. I do have to ask though, was there some rope hanging and swinging from the pole on the marker? I ask as there seems to be an artefact, which now that I've seen it, distracts me a little (just above the water line)?

Back