HelenC's 52 for 2020: Week 52 - Decorate and finished..

As soon as I saw the theme I knew where I could go. I first visited this place after a reading by Christopher Sommerville from his book, "Britain and Ireland's Best Wild Places" when it was first published.
This is part of South Elmham Minster which is tucked away in a lone piece of woodland in the middle of fields... the closest habitation is only a small village some distance away.
As it is only a pile of flint walls with a backdrop of trees it was difficult to find a decent composition so I opted for an interesting tree with part of the wall and then processed using LR infrared option.

Hidden (1 of 1)
by Helen Cannon

Last edited:
Brilliantly creative shot for Liquid. I love it!
Very nicely lit shot for Household. Very nice indeed.
Hidden is another good shot. Nic composition and a great find.

That's an interesting looking place Helen, nicely captured.

Nice place to visit and I think you definitely found a good composition

Nice processing of a hidden gem (y)

Household: Superb composition and a great subject.
Hidden: Lovely detail.

Brilliantly creative shot for Liquid. I love it!
Very nicely lit shot for Household. Very nice indeed.
Hidden is another good shot. Nic composition and a great find.

That's an interesting looking place Helen, nicely captured.

Nice place to visit and I think you definitely found a good composition

Thanks for the feedback and for stopping by. Have to say it was wonderfully peaceful there.. a lovely place to spend an hour wandering with the camera.

The trees have awesomely sharp foliage. Is that the camera/lens/technique, or the processing?
I like the range of light and dark in the different areas of the image.

Thanks @LC2. It was all in the processing.. actually in the click of a button - LR Infrared Profile.
The amount of foliage lent itself to IR but I didn't have the filter in my bag so when I got home it was a "one-click" process which (for once) worked really well.

Thanks @LC2. It was all in the processing.. actually in the click of a button - LR Infrared Profile.
The amount of foliage lent itself to IR but I didn't have the filter in my bag so when I got home it was a "one-click" process which (for once) worked really well.
I didn't know LR had an Infra Red profile. I'll have to go have a look !

lovely, great composition and a lovely subject.

Very moody. I love it! And I love how you have so many different parts to your composition. Well
Done

House hold item
Lovely directional lighting.

Hidden
Looks good in black and white, not a bad sky too.

Hidden is a great image, really suits the mono PP and the detail in the wall is nicely captured.

The open expanses and big skies of East Anglia often make you feel small.. no more so than at Shingle Street. This isn't the greatest shot as even in the late evening it was quite busy with families so my options were limited. I did intend to go back but won't get the chance this week.

IMG_7447
by Helen Cannon

Last edited:
I like that, the smoothed out water and sky in mono suit the scene well..

There's nothing wrong with that Helen, it works well especially with the "small" house in the distance.

That's a fab shot and a good mono!

I think you did a great job Helen, really suites mono.
I like that, the smoothed out water and sky in mono suit the scene well..
What an excellent image for Small. Very well thought out and taken Helen. :clap:
There's nothing wrong with that Helen, it works well especially with the "small" house in the distance.
Very nice, sky looks great and I like the reflection of the sky in the water(y)
That's a fab shot and a good mono!
That's a lovely tranquil shot Helen.

Thanks for your comments folks. Have to say it seems to be a very popular destination for photographers these days (and now the wider public!). It used to be completely deserted. There were two swimmers in the "lagoon" when I took the shot.. amazing what a long exposure can ignore :)

Like the hidden shot, nicely composed.
Small is a good idea and well executed.

I decided to have a trip to Happisburgh today based on weather forecasts from 2 apps telling me it would be 80% cloudy in the early afternoon. Ahem!
Bright sunshine and a beach full of grockels but thankfully they couldn't be bothered walking down the beach to the broken sea defences so I spent a pleasant hour or so pottering around the beach with only a couple of artists sketching for company.

IMG_7723
by Helen Cannon

A tourist shot of the lighthouse..

IMG_7752
by Helen Cannon

Last edited:
Two very good landscapes. I'm not sure I can pick between the two, each has its merits and appeal.

Great shots Helen. I really like your small shot - big big skies there definitely. Your mono snappers choice shot is beautiful as well - really nice shot.

2 nice images Helen, I do prefer the simplicity of the broken sea defenses, nicely processed too.

Hi Helen,

Small - The long exposure has hidden the hordes well, I think it achieves what you set out planned. The choice of B&W makes it feel more desolate too.
Snappers Choice - Another pair of long exposures. The lighthouse shot feels like you may have had a polarising filter attached (the dark sky top right). I think I prefer the sea defences, again they have a desolate abandoned feel.

Loved the sea defences Helen. That middle rock looks like the head of a dog! And now I can't unsee it!

Two excellent landscapes I agree with Dominic both really strong pictures

Two cracking images - I like them both equally.

Hi Helen

a couple of cracking shots, the processing suits each shot. The colour one is slightly ahead in my eyes just for the colours. However it looks like its leaning over to the right slightly, maybe the curve of the hill.

Pete

Back