HelenC's 52 for 2020: Week 52 - Decorate and finished..

Two very good landscapes. I'm not sure I can pick between the two, each has its merits and appeal.
Great shots Helen. I really like your small shot - big big skies there definitely. Your mono snappers choice shot is beautiful as well - really nice shot.
2 nice images Helen, I do prefer the simplicity of the broken sea defenses, nicely processed too.
Two excellent landscapes I agree with Dominic both really strong pictures
Two cracking images - I like them both equally.

Thanks for the feedback folks.

Loved the sea defences Helen. That middle rock looks like the head of a dog! And now I can't unsee it!
Lol.. I see what you mean and now I see it every time :)

Hi Helen
a couple of cracking shots, the processing suits each shot. The colour one is slightly ahead in my eyes just for the colours. However it looks like its leaning over to the right slightly, maybe the curve of the hill.
Pete
Thanks Pete.. yes, it is a slight hill so perspective looks a little off.. plus on the wide of my wide angle.

Hi Helen,
Small - The long exposure has hidden the hordes well, I think it achieves what you set out planned. The choice of B&W makes it feel more desolate too.
Snappers Choice - Another pair of long exposures. The lighthouse shot feels like you may have had a polarising filter attached (the dark sky top right). I think I prefer the sea defences, again they have a desolate abandoned feel.
Thanks @LC2. Well spotted, I had left the polariser on and couldn't be bothered taking it off as it was a token shot "as I was there" #lazycow :LOL:

Last edited:
Lighthouse one for me, lovely tones and a silky sky (longer exposure?). I like how it is not overly bright, almost has a film look to it.

Small: That's my kind of shot Helen. The composition and processing are terrific.
Snapper's Choice. I like them both, a lot and on balance just prefer the lighthouse.

Small: Nice use of the shale as a leading line around the water, nicely composed and processed.

Snappers Choice: 2 Cracking images I too like them both and think the processing suits them really well.

Harnessing Mother Nature. It would have been nice to have some darker cloud behind the mill but then Mother Nature doesn't always play ball :D

Mill
by Helen Cannon

Damn you! I was going out this evening to do a wind turbine slow shutter! Thinking cap back on....

Lovely photograph, the shutter speed was spot on.

Yep that's a goodun that is! Lovely movement!

Mother Nature: Nice use of a slow shutter speed works well for the theme. (Back to the drawing board for me..!)

Lovely impressions of movement Helen, both the grass and the sails.
They work well together.

That's another lovely pic Helen. The movement in the wheat is terrific and the blur of the sails is a real eye-catcher.

Damn you! I was going out this evening to do a wind turbine slow shutter! Thinking cap back on....
Lovely photograph, the shutter speed was spot on.
Yep that's a goodun that is! Lovely movement!
Mother Nature: Nice use of a slow shutter speed works well for the theme. (Back to the drawing board for me..!)
Excellent love the slight movement in the grass
Lovely impressions of movement Helen, both the grass and the sails.
They work well together.
Lovely breezy image.
Oh wow this is stunning. Love the movement!
I like the motion blur in the sails and wheat.
That's another lovely pic Helen. The movement in the wheat is terrific and the blur of the sails is a real eye-catcher.

Thanks for the great comments folks. There were a lot of rejects before I got the speed right with a reasonable sky... patience, patience, patience - better than build, build, build :LOL: :LOL:

I had to go look at the exif. Surprisingly short shutter speed, I was expecting longer somehow.
Loving the movement in both the sails and the grass.
Thanks @LC2 . It was a very windy day,..

Running out of time this week and the forecast is wet and grey so not much chance to get out. Took this a couple of days ago and while not exactly an amazing shot it definitely shows signs of rain on the way!

IMG_7948
by Helen Cannon

Last edited:
Lovely colours and sky there - it definitely does give the impression that this will be getting damp soon! Great choice for B&W too.

Nicely controlled PP with the clouds (unlike me lol) and the detail in the field helps establish a good foreground subject to focus on as well. My initial thought with regard to the dark central areas was to wonder how it would look if the shadows were lifted, but then I do think that as it stands it helps bring a feeling of something ominous coming.

Looking ominous indeed, it works well in B&W Helen

Lovely image, I think mono really suits a sky like that. I like the way you've used the wheat field as the foreground, which has enough interest but at the same time completely directs the viewer to the sky - great stuff!

Very close crop image of the old airfield at Woodbridge MOD - the infamous Rendlesham Forest where the UFOs landed in the '80s (aka Britain's Roswell). Didn't see much on my visit apart from the odd squirrel!

IMG_8060
by Helen Cannon

Signs

A good black and white landscape. Nicely composed.

Secure

Nicely framed windsock.

Last edited:
I get a feeling of bleakness from it, as if a distant memory of what one was. Perhaps rather fitting during a pandemic where something like this on a far greater scale could have happened.

Looks like a place that should be recycled into something else rather than securely abandoned.

Back