HelenC's 52 for 2021 - Week 52: Showcase - critique welcome

While the rest of the country seems to be swathed in snow or frosty sunshine we have been treated to grey cloud for the last couple of days. I went for a chilly local wander across the bogs yesterday with the camera assuming I would return without removing the lens cap. On the way across the estate this evergreen seemed to stand out against the misty background of the bare trees so I thought it deserved a photo op.

086A3317
by Helen Cannon

Square works really well for this. It's like the tree is saying "look at me - I have leaves!" to the poor leaf-less trees in a background that's separated by the mist.

The foreground could be argued to be a bit empty, but cropping it would spoil the balance and I quite lkike the space it gives.

The tree really does stand out, good square crop and a good start to your 52

Grey cloud here too Helen :/ (until about 10 minutes ago!)
I agree with the others that the instagram crop suits the shot and processing - I don't think it would have the same feel/impact if it were colour or a landscape orientation.

Nicely seen and taken. I think your crop is perfect, as is your choice of B&W.

Really love this. The tree just stands so majestically. Got to love a grey/moody scene in BW!

A giant Bonsai what's not to like?
:D

Nice processing too Helen.

Hi Helen

That tree certainly stands out from the not too distant BG. (y)

Nice crop on the image and the mono PP works very well. I like the way the background trees go up to the right (you'd expect that to unbalance the scene, but it works well).

I like the square crop, the tree does stand out against its skeletal neighbors.

It's a nice mono for sure.

Got a bit of a mole problem I see.

Your format choice definitely works to its advantage, looking at the scene I'm wondering what the image looks like moving to the right and distancing the trees on the right hand side (if possible)

A lovely seasonal shot Helen and I like the crop and the background trees disapperaring into the mist.

Square works really well for this. It's like the tree is saying "look at me - I have leaves!" to the poor leaf-less trees in a background that's separated by the mist.
The foreground could be argued to be a bit empty, but cropping it would spoil the balance and I quite lkike the space it gives.
B&W always looks cool in grotty grey weather, nice shot Helen.
A good shot to start the year, Helen. Like the 1:1 format and the spaces suround the subject to emphasis its environment.
Grey cloud here too Helen :/ (until about 10 minutes ago!)
I agree with the others that the instagram crop suits the shot and processing - I don't think it would have the same feel/impact if it were colour or a landscape orientation.
Nicely seen and taken. I think your crop is perfect, as is your choice of B&W.
Really love this. The tree just stands so majestically. Got to love a grey/moody scene in BW!
Hi Helen
That tree certainly stands out from the not too distant BG. (y)
This is a lovely tree portrait, understated but kind of perfect!
It's a nice mono for sure.
The square crop works really nicely Helen - mono highlights what I suspect was a very cold day!!
Your format choice definitely works to its advantage, looking at the scene I'm wondering what the image looks like moving to the right and distancing the trees on the right hand side (if possible)
A lovely seasonal shot Helen and I like the crop and the background trees disapperaring into the mist.

Thanks for dropping by and commenting. Once I got back and looked at the shot I wish I'd spent longer and tried some different compositions. TBH it was a quick point and shoot. You live and learn :)

A giant Bonsai what's not to like?
:D
Nice processing too Helen.
Thanks @Cobra - the sheep do a good job of pruning them into a straight base line...

Got a bit of a mole problem I see.
Lol.. there are so many it made walking quite difficult.

Had a bit of a photographically fruitless week (see what I did there.. :LOL: ) - weather grey/wet/both. All I could find in the very local landscape was the final remnants of my crab apple. Will do better next time!

086A3373
by Helen Cannon

In all honesty I'd have cropped or cloned out the RHS,
That's nice sharp crab apples though..

I gave it all a quick slap with the content aware brush and took out the OoF branches.
it works better IMO with just the main branch and wilted fruit.
But as I said just my opinion :)

Hey I love that, nice & sharp, good light & colour.

Lovely sharp picture, they are hanging on there. I think I would probably have zoomed in and cropped it a bit and then it may also have filled your frame ;)

Fruit
I think you're doing yourself a disservice. The fruit has great detail and colour, it's also very sharp. A good blurry background. If there was anything I'd change, I'd find a better angle or remove the bit of twig (?) In the background.

Hi Helen, I like it, its a shame you couldn’t isolate them from the surroundings a bit more, but it has a really nice warmth about it. I really liked your tree too .... works perfectly in the b&w.

In all honesty I'd have cropped or cloned out the RHS,
That's nice sharp crab apples though..
I gave it all a quick slap with the content aware brush and took out the OoF branches.
it works better IMO with just the main branch and wilted fruit.
But as I said just my opinion :)

Hey I love that, nice & sharp, good light & colour.

Lovely sharp picture, they are hanging on there. I think I would probably have zoomed in and cropped it a bit and then it may also have filled your frame ;)

Good Dof nice and sharp where you wanted it

Works well enough for me, but as the scaley one says, a few minutes in photoshop with the magic disappearing tool would probably give it a boost.

Fruit
I think you're doing yourself a disservice. The fruit has great detail and colour, it's also very sharp. A good blurry background. If there was anything I'd change, I'd find a better angle or remove the bit of twig (?) In the background.

Thanks for the comments and advice - all of which I am in agreement with. Something that perhaps has never come across in my 52 journey so far is that I am a bit of a purist when it comes to editing. I don't (or very, very rarely) use PS, only LR and tend to minimal manipulation, dust spot removal etc unless I want to make a "statement". For me, what's in the shot stays in the shot - I don't remove, clone, change backgrounds etc. - and believe me, I've had some lively and protracted arguments with good photography friends on this one :LOL: . Everyone has their own approach to these things and that's just mine. Perhaps it harps back to my days of darkroom printing when the only options were dodge and burn? So when faced with this sort of image I try and make the best of what I have. I did look at a few crops, none of which worked for me so a case of PABD.

For me, what's in the shot stays in the shot - I don't remove, clone, change backgrounds etc. - and believe me, I've had some lively and protracted arguments with good photography friends on this one :LOL: .
Fair play, we all see and do things differently. I'm not adverse to a bit of manipulation (especially when the council stick up road signs !!!) but I absolutely appreciate wanting to keep it exactly as it was.
I'll try to remember not to suggest cloning stuff out, but I can't promise as I have the memory and concentration of a..... Oh look shiny things :ROFLMAO:

I got very excited when I saw snow but it was short lived and slushy. I did venture for a walk but snow mixed with the wet mud and just looked like dirty snow... along with a dirty great footprints. So I had a play with some processing.

086A3470
by Helen Cannon

Inventive image Helen.
Well thought out.

That works well, I’m a tad irritated though as I’d got as far as taking a near identical image myself :ROFLMAO: , (great minds think alike obviously). Oh well, back to the drawing board and as they say “you snooze, you loose”:LOL:

That fits the theme nicely Helen. Fascinating the way the texture looks so even.

@Hadron just post it :) We don't all have to be different and I'm sure it won't be exactly the same.... although if anyone posts any dirty beetroot..... grrrr! :LOL:

Edit: Just spotted your fruitless search for fruit Helen :D I really like your crab apple. The background colours are lovely and you have lots of detail in the withered fruit.

Last edited:
Dirty is certainly on theme and the processing works well plenty of detail

Presuming the other foot off camera unless you were standing on one foot. Great image and works well with the theme, bonus points for ticking off the technique, I always forget that bit until it’s near the deadline!!

Fruit - I really like the apples themselves - just about holding together, and properly wrinkled.

I appreciate your purism - but I might have gone for a bit of a crop too. But - horses for courses!!

Dirty is great - slushy and yucky, and a nicely placed bootprint!

Back