HelenC's 52 for 2021 - Week 52: Showcase - critique welcome

A good Easter scene and you evidently got out at least as far as the church.
I may have been tempted to boost the luminence and saturation of the yellows a bit perhaps? (But that's really just a 'to taste' thing).

Looks like the trees are trying to prevent you getting closer. No mistaking the time of year though. Works well!

A good shot with plenty of contrast, a pleasant Easter scene.

Yep - daffs and church does it!

I was trying to get a similar shot of our local church and daffs but struggled with light/shadows. I rather like that the daffs lead your eye through the frame to the church with the trees bracketing either side.

A good Easter scene and you evidently got out at least as far as the church.
I may have been tempted to boost the luminence and saturation of the yellows a bit perhaps? (But that's really just a 'to taste' thing).
Looks like the trees are trying to prevent you getting closer. No mistaking the time of year though. Works well!
A good shot with plenty of contrast, a pleasant Easter scene.
Yep - daffs and church does it!
I was trying to get a similar shot of our local church and daffs but struggled with light/shadows. I rather like that the daffs lead your eye through the frame to the church with the trees bracketing either side.
A very topical choice Helen, that looks like a nice old church.

Thanks folks. I was trying to find a different "angle" on my local church - as you can imagine, during lockdown I've been shooting there an awful lot!

Feeling a bit rushed this week. I had the idea of a wonderful sunlit field of rape with fluffy white clouds and blue sky - every time I was able to get out those pesky clouds decided to cover the sun! Nothing says spring like weather that won't play ball and some rape..

PW6A4759
by Helen Cannon

Lovely bright image and I don't think it loses anything for not having the sky (although I know what you were probably thinking of). nice DoF too.

The DOF works nicely.... I lets yellow on yellow work. The rape fields are one of the first things that come to mind when I think of spring.

Nice splash of yellow :)

Always a pleasure to see a field of rape in the sunshine with the lovely yellow colour brightening up the landscape, nicely done

The rape is looking a bit ahead of our fields here. Nice dof to pick out the foreground bloom. Shame about the blue sky!! We're hazy here, so not great for rape fields either.

Very yellow, I like yellow. My wife's eyes stream when she gets near rape but fortunately we don't have any near us, which is a good job because that means my bees won't bring the nectar back and store it (it sets in the combs and can't be extracted).

Nice use of DoF and colour
Spring
Good close up, I like the backdrop of the oof flowers.
Lovely colour captured there Helen, and great use of the DoF.
Lovely bright image and I don't think it loses anything for not having the sky (although I know what you were probably thinking of). nice DoF too.
The DOF works nicely.... I lets yellow on yellow work. The rape fields are one of the first things that come to mind when I think of spring.
Can't beat a rape field for spring!
Lovely colourful shot Helen.
Nice splash of yellow :)
Always a pleasure to see a field of rape in the sunshine with the lovely yellow colour brightening up the landscape, nicely done
The rape is looking a bit ahead of our fields here. Nice dof to pick out the foreground bloom. Shame about the blue sky!! We're hazy here, so not great for rape fields either.
Thanks for dropping in and commenting. Much appreciated.

Very yellow, I like yellow. My wife's eyes stream when she gets near rape but fortunately we don't have any near us, which is a good job because that means my bees won't bring the nectar back and store it (it sets in the combs and can't be extracted).
I didn't know that about rape. We have a local rape seed oil producer so have lots scattered around. We also have lots of local beekeepers and they have never mentioned this - perhaps our local bees have more varied options?

Running a little late this week.. I took this last weekend and had it in my head that I had posted it! I spent some time at the coast but stopped off at Dunwich Forest on the way home and rather liked the sun falling through the trees. It also fitted the low key technique. Job done :)

PW6A4854
by Helen Cannon

Possibly a bit too gloomy for me, but if you're after the low-key look, then it's achieved here.

Very foreboding - especially with it's name... I listen to a lot of audio books and Wayne June reading HP Lovecraft's "Dunwich Horror" would give me the creeps if I was walking through these woods listening.

That's very nice, and really suits mono
That fits the technique nicely. You can feel how cool it is in the dappled shade!
very good, the light through the trees is nice
Dark and perhaps foreboding.
A good capture of the light and dark.

Thanks for the comments folks.

Possibly a bit too gloomy for me, but if you're after the low-key look, then it's achieved here.
Very foreboding - especially with it's name... I listen to a lot of audio books and Wayne June reading HP Lovecraft's "Dunwich Horror" would give me the creeps if I was walking through these woods listening.
Thanks @Harlequin565 - not as creepy as Rendlesham Forest where the aliens "actually" visited :D

Haven't been out and about much this week as lots of domestic things took precedence. I wanted to see how the R5 worked with infrared so the sunny days we've had would be great. Until today of course! I'm not particularly impressed with the results but have no others to post.

PW6A5298
by Helen Cannon

Infra red needs sun to work properly sadly. You can see the beginning of the effect on the grass and sky, but it's not the full blown effect. For me, that doesn't matter so much. It's more subtle and still a bit surreal and the castle in the background is quite haunting. Thumbs up from me :)

A pleasant scene I know you didnt get the bright sun you hoped for but I do like the sky in that

Still a nice scene captured Helen as the others have said.
Everyday is a school day as they say. Between @Harlequin565 Ian and yourself, I've learned something about IR photography, thanks.

Infra red needs sun to work properly sadly. You can see the beginning of the effect on the grass and sky, but it's not the full blown effect. For me, that doesn't matter so much. It's more subtle and still a bit surreal and the castle in the background is quite haunting. Thumbs up from me :)
A pleasant scene I know you didnt get the bright sun you hoped for but I do like the sky in that
Out and about
I do like the clouds and sky and the tree.
I really like this Helen. All things draw your eye in to the tree, even the sky.
Still a nice scene captured Helen as the others have said.
Everyday is a school day as they say. Between @Harlequin565 Ian and yourself, I've learned something about IR photography, thanks.

Thanks for dropping in and commenting. I've now sent a rarely used Fuji x100s off for conversion to IR...

Definitely a few shapes going on, and I like the muted colour palette. The moody sky works well too. What sort of building is it? An industrial one?

Yep - shapes working well.

I like it! the tones are really well suited and I like the way you've framed the buildings to go almost to the extreme right and top left, plus the dome is perfectly placed.

Definitely a few shapes going on, and I like the muted colour palette. The moody sky works well too. What sort of building is it? An industrial one?
Thanks @Bebop It's Sizewell nuclear power station... the jewel of the Suffolk coast :D

Yep - shapes working well.

I like it! the tones are really well suited and I like the way you've framed the buildings to go almost to the extreme right and top left, plus the dome is perfectly placed.

Thanks guys.

Back