HelenC's 52 for 2021 - Week 52: Showcase - critique welcome

I like all things physics so I like this one too, Muted blue and slate grey, looks like Plymouth on a sunny day -- you'd only get that if you'd been there, seems they had a lot of battleship paint left over after the war.

Shapes
The white dome is really prominent (not in a bad way) against the dark clouds and the grey/blue building it sits on.

Running a little late this week.. I took this last weekend and had it in my head that I had posted it! I spent some time at the coast but stopped off at Dunwich Forest on the way home and rather liked the sun falling through the trees. It also fitted the low key technique. Job done :)

PW6A4854
by Helen Cannon

Another image I really do like, dark and moody but with enough light to see it all.

Lesson learned this week: don't go to Southwold!

I went down to the harbour thinking about lots of boats with numbers. I don't mind people visiting but found myself getting frustrated with:
(a) people who have to drive to the cafes and try to find somewhere to park right next to them rather than using the extensive parking facilities and using their feet to walk the few hundred yards... and
(b) those driving trying to avoid the huge potholes (due to too much traffic) and not even saying thank you to those trying get out of their way.

Ok, rant over. Due to the number of cars parked around the moorings and boats potential shots were definitely limited but "numbers" bagged at least. For my sanity Southwold is now a no-go area for the rest of the summer (apart from dawn if I can drag myself out of bed).

PW6A5568
by Helen Cannon

In a town close to where I live (the next town along the coast) we also have the problem of people seemingly unable to walk a couple of hundred yards and trying to park right next to the pub/cafe/arcade/ice cream stall etc - it's bloody annoying! Mind you, not quite as annoying as the holidaymakers who, because they are on holiday, are obviously immortal so they can just wander around in the roads etc without a care in the world, or fear of injury. Anyway, rant(s) over...

I like the image, great colours and the crop works well for me as you've left enough detail to be able to easily recognise what it is. Good job and great for the theme.

I really like the striking colour on this. The rust(?) on the white lettering warms it up nicely. It's probably an image where I'd try and saturate the blues up a bit to hammer home the compliment with the red to see what it looked like. Probably easy to go OTT with it though and it might not fly.

Very tidy composition too.

I love boatyards - and this works very well!

Love a rusty tatty boat in a harbour, not so much out at sea!

People do seem to have lost the use of their legs, and it must be murder trying to social distance these days in such places, just as well that covid seems to be receding very quickly, fingers crossed it will continue and peter out.

Pete

Good work Helen, lovely colours in there and the composition works well with lots of interest and diverging lines.

Numbers
Very colourful, I like the slight rusty areas and the numbers stand out well.

I really like all the angles and lines you have going on in this Helen. The colours work well too.

I echo your thoughts on visitors parking and people not acknowledging when you have moved out of the way for them. Makes me really grumpy.

Bit of a PABD this week due to lack of time / opportunity. This was installed on one of our local footpaths for the kids to play on but I have noted a number of adults taking advantage of a local "toy". Taken with phone camera.

IMG_20210519_164021-2
by Helen Cannon

Toy
I think the idea is good, the swing maybe a little central, but I do like the orange rope contrasting against the green foliage.

Toys
I would have a go myself!! On my ipad the image looks very green, I know it's trees but the bark also has a tinge of it too.

Toy
I think the idea is good, the swing maybe a little central, but I do like the orange rope contrasting against the green foliage.
Toys
I would have a go myself!! On my ipad the image looks very green, I know it's trees but the bark also has a tinge of it too.
Thanks for bothering with my mediocre shot.. It does look a little green. The ambience of the footpath has a very green tinge as it is surrounded by young trees but I think my phone camera may be playing a few tricks.

Fits the bill. I like to see things like this - the idea of kids still playing in woods is appealing (and adults!).
I agree it looks a bit green

Shot with the phone explains the slight focus (to me) problem, would have liked the swing part in focus as that is what drew my eye, but feels like it might be a little soft. Looks like tricky lighting, so congrats on getting the shot (perhaps try black and white if it is too green - or colour punch the orange rope whilst desaurating the greens?)

Really struggled this week with time, inspiration and weather.
I went for a wander around Thorpeness where all the mock Tudor and Jacobean houses were built at the turn of the 20th century as a "well to do" holiday village. The flat grey sky stopped me from shooting the House in the Clouds so yet another record shot for a PABD box ticking exercise.

PW6A5701
by Helen Cannon

That's one of the best mock tudor houses I've seen. Even the windows look like they have real stone mullions. Black and white fits the subject perfectly.

Nice idea for the theme although you don’t seem to happy with it.

Works well in mono, was that the intention when the composition was framed?
I can't work out whether it's a stronger image if you cropped from the bottom removing the angled wall or does constitute a leading line that takes you to the left before running along the side of houses?

That's a lovely shot for a PABD, really goes well in mono.
Thanks Dave
That's one of the best mock tudor houses I've seen. Even the windows look like they have real stone mullions. Black and white fits the subject perfectly.
Thanks. They were built very well.. just out of context. It's an interesting place to visit.

Nice idea for the theme although you don’t seem to happy with it.
Thanks Allan. I think I'm going through a bit of a negative period with my photography - one of those "I can't take a decent shot" times :(. I'm sure it'll soon kick back in again.

Works well in mono, was that the intention when the composition was framed?
I can't work out whether it's a stronger image if you cropped from the bottom removing the angled wall or does constitute a leading line that takes you to the left before running along the side of houses?
Thanks Stuart. As the light was so flat I looked at it in mono. I tried a few crops and the wall seemed to help frame the image.

Perfect choice in the black and white Helen, I think it would take a bit of a crop and still be effective.
Thanks Susie. I may give it another go on cropping.

It's a cracking idea, obvious... as soon as someone else points it out.
It works well as a mono shot too, great tones. That one has it all, the wattle and daub, the herringbone brickwork, the (un)leaded panes. It all makes for an interesting image.

Nice house, great in B&W, even if it wasn't Mock tuder it would still be Artificial as you can't get them to grow.

Pete

My first photo workshop of this year in some ancient oak woodland, Staverton Thicks. I rather like the pattern created by this fallen tree.. it looks to me like an strange creature wearing a cap!

PW6A5767 by Helen Cannon, on Flickr

What an interesting piece of dead wood, and then, new life, the fern bursting through just off center.

And yes I can see the "creature" :)

Lovely patterny mono - needs printing BIG and sticking on a coffee shop wall :)

Nice gritty image and great texture in the wood, interesting idea for the theme

Pattern
It does have a look of dinosaur skeleton. It's for some interesting shapes and textures.

Lots of detailed shapes and textures that keep your attention in the image, maybe too bright a highlight in the bottom left side. Has there much processing carried out on the image?

What an interesting piece of dead wood, and then, new life, the fern bursting through just off center.

And yes I can see the "creature" :)
Great shot for the theme Helen, really interesting how the patterns on old trees and roots go.
Lovely patterny mono - needs printing BIG and sticking on a coffee shop wall :)
Nice gritty image and great texture in the wood, interesting idea for the theme
Pattern
It does have a look of dinosaur skeleton. It's for some interesting shapes and textures.
Lots of detailed shapes and textures that keep your attention in the image, maybe too bright a highlight in the bottom left side. Has there much processing carried out on the image?
Thanks Stuart.. you're right about the slightly blown highlights. I didn't spend too much time processing. Will correct when I get a mo.

Thanks for dropping by folks. Been remiss in my own comments this week so will make amends shortly #slapwrist :D

Back