HelenC's 52 for 2021 - Week 52: Showcase - critique welcome

Dirty
I wasn't sure if I liked it at first, but after a longer look I started to see patterns and textures, so now I like it.

For me, the footprint is a little lost in the background... But is that intentional? The image is very much about the pattern and I like the choice of a square crop.
Works well!

Bit of a 'Where's Wally' picture, I find myself searching for patterns in the mud. Think I would have preferred a colour version.

That's a cool B&W shot, and good tech.
Inventive image Helen.
Well thought out.
Works perfectly for the theme Helen, it’s looks suitably slushy. I like the use of the single footprint.
That fits the theme nicely Helen. Fascinating the way the texture looks so even.
Dirty is certainly on theme and the processing works well plenty of detail

Thanks for dropping by and commenting. It's much appreciated when we all have such busy lives ;)

That works well, I’m a tad irritated though as I’d got as far as taking a near identical image myself :ROFLMAO: , (great minds think alike obviously). Oh well, back to the drawing board and as they say “you snooze, you loose”:LOL:
@Hadron I don't see any problem with submitting similar images... as you say.. great minds!

Bit of a 'Where's Wally' picture, I find myself searching for patterns in the mud. Think I would have preferred a colour version.
I can't help wondering what the colour version looks like. I'm imagining browns in there.

Here's the colour version which I think works with the leaves under the slush. I did the conversion to make it more of an abstract image as the subject wasn't particularly exciting.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2ktxVEZ][/URL]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2ktxVEZ]footprint colour by Helen Cannon[/URL]

both versions work very slushy I think I like the b/w more

It's been a bit of a busy week... unexpectedly offered voluntary redundancy and have been mulling over, calculating and deciding so nil time for photography.
I purchased a cheap RF lens mainly to do some astro photography at some point and went out to test at the weekend in dull flat conditions - so I will post and be damned ;)
This is the gravestone of Mildred Holland, the Victorian lady who painted the ceiling of our church which I used for my first 52 of last year..

086A3574
by Helen Cannon

Oh I do like that! Enough in the frame to see what it is (a cross with a wreath: in stone), but a pleasing shallow DoF showing some good colour & detail.

Nice lens .

Yes, nice DoF and have caught the lichen too. Is that an over-wintering ladybird towards the bottom right?

I must admit I couldn't see exactly what the image consisted of. My eyes keep moving to the sharp focused section at the bottom right. It is certainly an intricate structure, Would it benefit if changed to B&W, it appears to have good tonal range to consider it.

I really like that. As others have said the depth of field is just right and you’ve brought out some lovely texture :)

That's a cracking find and nicely presented Helen (y)

Nice and interesting.

That's great - looks so much like wood! A concrete cast maybe - or a very talented stonemason!

Lovely textures in there, the colours are great and the DoF is spot. Good job

Great carving a very interesting gravestone good choice for the theme I like the unusual pov too.

Stone
I like the abstractly look and feel. I know you like a black and white, but I'm glad you've left it in colour, the greens work well.

A very interesting shot Helen, I'd love to see a wider angle just so we could see this shot in context.

Oh I do like that! Enough in the frame to see what it is (a cross with a wreath: in stone), but a pleasing shallow DoF showing some good colour & detail.
Nice lens .
Thanks @d00d - have to say for the cheapest RF lens I am most impressed and enjoyed the challenge of using a prime lens again. Takes me back..

Yes, nice DoF and have caught the lichen too. Is that an over-wintering ladybird towards the bottom right?
@ShinySideUp - well spotted, I didn't see the ladybird until you pointed it out. Doh!

I must admit I couldn't see exactly what the image consisted of. My eyes keep moving to the sharp focused section at the bottom right. It is certainly an intricate structure, Would it benefit if changed to B&W, it appears to have good tonal range to consider it.
@StuartPearson - I tried mono but actually preferred the colour version. Will have a play.

What a super intricate piece of stonework, perfect for the theme.

I like the subject, the compostion and your use of DoF Helen.

I really like that. As others have said the depth of field is just right and you’ve brought out some lovely texture :)

That's a cracking find and nicely presented Helen (y)

Nice and interesting.

That's great - looks so much like wood! A concrete cast maybe - or a very talented stonemason!

I'm a sucker for an interesting gravestone shot. Great stuff!

It took me a while to resolve that - an amazing bit of carving.

Lovely textures in there, the colours are great and the DoF is spot. Good job

Great carving a very interesting gravestone good choice for the theme I like the unusual pov too.

Stone
I like the abstractly look and feel. I know you like a black and white, but I'm glad you've left it in colour, the greens work well.

Nice abstract picture - the muted colours really make it.

A very interesting shot Helen, I'd love to see a wider angle just so we could see this shot in context.
@Darkslinger I didn't take any wider angle but someone else has..
View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/norfolkodyssey/47581488901/in/album-72157631364700658/

Thanks very much for dropping by and commenting folks.

I had various ideas for this one but they needed some decent light which this week hasn't provided. Took some shots on my daily walk yesterday and this giant redwood was over exposed - so high key it is :D

086A3619
by Helen Cannon

That works really well for tall. High key and mono really does bring out the textures.

I’m catching up on comments, so for a moment I thought your gravestone was for ‘tall’ - I thought because she painted ceilings [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I love the gnarly look with the twisty design and the lichen - definitely works in colour. I also like the lighting.

I really like the TALL redwoods in high key, my eyes were scanning the photo photo because not one thing was drawing me in it was the whole picture. I do think the mono brings out the best in it too, I cant image it would look as good or have as much detail had it been in colour. Thumbs up from me.

Good work Helen, it ticks the tall box so bang on theme. It is a little bright for my taste but it's brought out a lot of detail.

Lots of detail in there - hits the theme for tall for certain! The B&W has hidden any faint overexposure nicely - the high key look works.

Back