HelenC's 52 for 2021 - Week 52: Showcase - critique welcome

8 hours watching sheep!!

Nice Mono image, good for the theme.

And I thought it might be Black Sheep, a [subjectively] rather amusing Peter-Jackson-Bad-Taste copy about killer sheep.

Getting the eye contact from the sheep has worked well :)

Clever take - no need to be sheepish about it :)

Film title
I'm presuming the eight hour film would have same effect as counting them!!
I was going with "Silence of the lambs" like a few others, probably a few other titles in there with the eye contact element

Total shoehorn!!!!

... but it works.

The mono tones are really nice, it has a gritty edge, and the single sheep making eye contact makes the image.

I was thinking silence of the lambs
I had not any idea what the film was, nice B&W though.
I though Silence Of The Lambs too, in fact I thought o doing it as my choice but there’s no sheep locally!
I can’t say I fancy the eight hour movie:oops: :$
Well that's a clever take on the theme, I was expecting Silence of the Lambs too!
And I thought it might be Black Sheep, a [subjectively] rather amusing Peter-Jackson-Bad-Taste copy about killer sheep.
Getting the eye contact from the sheep has worked well :)
Clever take - no need to be sheepish about it :)
Ewe Are The One, 1941 American comedy.
I though Silence Of The Lambs too, in fact I thought o doing it as my choice but there’s no sheep locally!
I can’t say I fancy the eight hour movie:oops: :$

Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I did think about Silence of the Lambs but unfortunately there are no lambs.. they will be arriving in about 3 weeks!

8 hours watching sheep!!
Nice Mono image, good for the theme.
Wow an eight hour epic about sheep, think I might give that one a miss.
Like the way that the one sheep is looking round at you and nice DOF in the photo.
Film title
I'm presuming the eight hour film would have same effect as counting them!!
I was going with "Silence of the lambs" like a few others, probably a few other titles in there with the eye contact element

Not only 8 hours of sheep but in slow motion too!!! Thanks for the kind comments guys.

Ha ha! I did the same with my squirrel. I thought there might be a film called 'Looking at You' or even ewe?

I expect that would send you off to sleep watching that - 8 hours :oops: :$

Lovely point of focus with the sheep looking at you and the depth of field draws your attention to him.

Last edited:
Film
Looks good in black & white.
Maybe I'll watch that one during an insomnia night.

Almost forgot about this one.,. lockdown brain fog seems to be getting worse! I drive past this house quite often and wanted to catch it in some lovely light but we've been stuck with grey mist since I had the idea so I've sepia toned it to give it some age. Anyway, its a rather higgeldy-piggeldy half-timbered house.

IMG_20210302_114554
by Helen Cannon

higgeldy-piggeldy is a great phrase and describes it perfectly, has a vignette been added, the top left area appears strange.

Half
Lovely looking house.
I really like the processing, olde worlde.

It doesn't scream "Half" at me Helen, but when I saw the explanation it made more sense. I think the Sepia treatment works well for your subject, but the composition feels awkward. Perhaps limited by your ability to approach and photograph the building? That tree is quite distracting off centre left and I'm wondering if there's a door behind it...

I didn't see the 'half' at first but the explanation shows a very clever take on the theme. I like the pp on this as it really adds to the old feel of the house. It's a lovely scene and I think you've done it justice.

Nice detailed image, I like the vignette, shoehorn required. :ROFLMAO:

I really like the olde worlde processing. I had thought it was a semidetached, as in half attached but half timbered fits even better. I've got some banding in the sky on my screen, but it might be my internet connection.

higgeldy-piggeldy is a great phrase and describes it perfectly, has a vignette been added, the top left area appears strange.
I really like the olde worlde processing. I had thought it was a semidetached, as in half attached but half timbered fits even better. I've got some banding in the sky on my screen, but it might be my internet connection.
Thanks for the feedback. I messed around quite a bit with the processing and wasn't happy with the result - probably tweaked too many sliders ;)

It doesn't scream "Half" at me Helen, but when I saw the explanation it made more sense. I think the Sepia treatment works well for your subject, but the composition feels awkward. Perhaps limited by your ability to approach and photograph the building? That tree is quite distracting off centre left and I'm wondering if there's a door behind it...
Nice detailed image, I like the vignette, shoehorn required. :ROFLMAO:
Thanks guys. I almost forgot about the 52 so I was scraping the bottom of the 'half' barrel looking for a shoehorn :).
@Harlequin565, you are right... I couldn't get a decent angle without walking up the driveway which might not have been acceptable.

I didn't see the 'half' at first but the explanation shows a very clever take on the theme. I like the pp on this as it really adds to the old feel of the house. It's a lovely scene and I think you've done it justice.
Half
Lovely looking house.
I really like the processing, olde worlde.
What a lovely old thatched cottage, love the oldish PP.
Thanks for dropping by guys.

I didn't work out half timbered but yup, makes sense and it works for me :)
All sorts of angles going on in that shot, but that's the beauty of old buildings like that.
Not sure on the vignette though, but that's personal choice.

As a landscape bod I was quite excited about this theme so I took my camera on a local walk at the weekend but wasn't enthused by anything I shot. I was hoping to get out today but the torrential rain has put the dampener on that one. So back to the weekend shots and the best of a bad bunch.

086A4331
by Helen Cannon

I think you're doing yourself a disservice. I like the curve on this, and I like that I had to work a little to see if it was all reflection or a mixture.

My only comment would be that I'd have possibly looked to clone or crop out the two intrusions on the left and on the top. I guess it's the very edge of the arch at the top and am unsure what's to the left.

It works very nicely Helen, good spot :)

I'm with @Kell on this one, I think it is great @HelenC. I love a sinuous curve and this definitely hits the spot. I stopped me in my tracks - lovely - and bang on theme!

Reflection
Well it looks pretty good to me. A nice curve, that leads you through the image.

Really like the curve on this Helen. Agree with Kell though that those black bits on the top and left could do with a trim. I'd also be tempted to remove the bits in the water too.

Looks good to me I think we are all a bit critical of our own work, cleaning up the water is a good idea though I did on my effort

Good work. I really like that. Sunny day, super reflection, well spotted.

I think you're doing yourself a disservice. I like the curve on this, and I like that I had to work a little to see if it was all reflection or a mixture.

My only comment would be that I'd have possibly looked to clone or crop out the two intrusions on the left and on the top. I guess it's the very edge of the arch at the top and am unsure what's to the left.

Really like the curve on this Helen. Agree with Kell though that those black bits on the top and left could do with a trim. I'd also be tempted to remove the bits in the water too.

Thanks @Kell and @Harlequin565. I know what you mean about the intrusions. I tried cropping and it didn't seem to look right and I don't tend to clone unless I think the image is really worth it so they stayed.

It works very nicely Helen, good spot :)

I'm with @Kell on this one, I think it is great @HelenC. I love a sinuous curve and this definitely hits the spot. I stopped me in my tracks - lovely - and bang on theme!

Reflection
Well it looks pretty good to me. A nice curve, that leads you through the image.

Looks good to me I think we are all a bit critical of our own work, cleaning up the water is a good idea though I did on my effort
Good work. I really like that. Sunny day, super reflection, well spotted.
That's lovely - don't know about the rest of the bunch, but if be very happy with this!
The curve is absolutely lovely.

Thanks for looking and for the kind comments. Perhaps I'm being too self-critical.

It certainly has been rough here for the last couple of days. Went for a windy walk to capture the sea horses on the lake yesterday only to find this little chap scudding ahead of the rough weather about to arrive. I love it when the clouds in this flat part of the world could almost resemble mountains in the distance.

086A4380
by Helen Cannon

Last edited:
Gorgeous sky as Allan said. Fab lighting and I really like the hint of colour in the scene. I get where you're coming from with the theme, but it's not shouting out at me. Perhaps some motion in those tree tops might have helped... Still - it's a photo that's too good not to share :)

A very atmospheric sky, well captured :)

Back