Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
So ugly its almost beautiful

QM2%201.2.17-1-3.jpg

Helmeted%20Guinea%20Fowl.jpg

Last edited:
Nicely detailed portrait David, great to see something different - and this is very different!

2 minor improvements may be to move the crop slightly so the bird is just left of centre, and he's in mid blink with the nictitng membrane covering pat of the eye. Do you have another frame with a clear view of the eye?

Nice work though, techs are spot on.

Mike

Nicely detailed portrait David, great to see something different - and this is very different!

2 minor improvements may be to move the crop slightly so the bird is just left of centre, and he's in mid blink with the nictitng membrane covering pat of the eye. Do you have another frame with a clear view of the eye?

Nice work though, techs are spot on.

Mike

No those are the only 2 shots I got, no time to put on multiple frames, I was photographing some geese portraits when this one walked right past me and then had sun on wrong side, sometimes you just have to take what you you are given, not sure I can see the membrane covering the eye ? any help?
Thanks for the constructive critique
David

Only the first showed for me when I looked...:thinking:

The only way around this is to get a bit naughty in PP!

I tried a couple of things, first I extended the canvas to the right and cropped a little from the left - that was the easy bit!

For the eye I opened up a new layer, cloned the left side of the eye into the membrane, but this made the eye look like an empty black hole, so I did a curves layer and lightened the iris while keeping the pupil black.

The eye still looked too dark and going lighter just made it look totally unrealistic, so I then cloned in a catchlight from the brightest part of the light area just under the eye.

View attachment 96010

Mike

I think that your colours are a bit too strong for reality - warm? - they are usually B & W bodied birds with not that much "brown" if any - they can vary, in fact we have an almost white bird at the present time but that's the first I have every seen of this common bird.

we have them coming thru the garden every day out here and I have seen them for many years

Of course it could be the sun or "Canon Cloudy [warm] setting)

here would be my take, (but only edited on a laptop)

helmet.jpg

Last edited:
Back