Help choose a suitable printer for my Mum & Dad..

Edit My Images
No
Hi,

My parents currently have a small Kodak G610 dye-sub printer which they use to print out various snapshop photo's throught the year which also works with the small Kodak camera they was bought a few Christmases gone by. Obtaining replacement paper/ribbon kits for this printer is getting harder to find and also expensive as only Kodak make the replacement print ribbon for it unlike inkjet printers which ink can be found here there and everywhere. I myself have an array of printers from a cheap A4 Canon MP990 for work usage and sometimes the occasional photo print, and a HP B9180 for larger A3+ prints and special prints on certain papers etc.

I have been on the lookout for a printer(no bigger than A4) which features a built in memory card slot and also a largish preview screen and some basic editing onboard(crop, red eye etc) and also one that can print great photo's directly from the memory card slot. This is where the hard task of finding one that can do this comes in as I borrowed a friends HPD7260 printer which looked ideal from the outlay however I could not manage to print out a decent enough photo quality wise without using a laptop/PC in order to select the high quality print modes in the HP or other photo editing software program. The results varied from a grainy to dark looking print each time. I don't know if this is a trait of printing from the memory card slot, or if my parents Kodak camera is at fault as prints from the little Dye-Sub appeared to be exposed correctly whereas with the HP they looked underexposed even though from preview they looked fine on both the printer screen and the camera screen itself.

No doubt they will(I have already told them before) need to get a better camera as the Kodak one is not brilliant but it's ok for now, however with shotages of kits for the printer it's looking like it will end up gathering dust pretty soon so a new printer is a must and preferably inkjet although the amount of photo's they print in quite low and it musn't be too confusing for them to operate ;-)

Any suggestions?

Mike.

Last edited:
I've the Canon iP4500 and am very pleased with it, I think the MP range (has a scanner as well) has a card reader and is virtually the same spec as the iP range. I ued to have an Epson printer and the new Canon one is sooo much better, even straight out the box.

On another note, my local Tesco had an MP..... at half price, around the £50 so even better value - I can check later on if it's of help (y)

Back