Help how could this be better?

This rendition seems to be reasonable…
I could only be sure after examining the RAW file!

Hi Nick,
it looks a little 'flat' to me (but that might be my monitor!) I'd like to see a bit more exposure on the turret and roof, and a bit more contrast on that interesting stained glass window. I'd possibly also slightly darken that bright tree on the LHS.
I really like the composition of your shot, and the sky looks very well exposed.
Are you using photoshop or any type of processing software? If you're struggling with lightening or darkening individual areas, please ask :)

Not sure what your software is but.......

If Lightroom:

Move the whites slider to the right. It will make it look like the sun is shining a bit more! If you overdo any of the highlights correct for this using the highlight slider.

You may also get a little more apparent saturation using the blacks slider and you can then open up the shadows to partly compensate for this.

Check the verticals.

There's always vibrance too.

Im used lr5 to be honest it looks better before I imported it ,do others find pictures change when importing.

If you're importing raw files, they are usually stored with a small jpg image based on camera defaults embedded, and it is the jpg file that you first see before it is replaced by the raw image. You could set your camera to save images in both raw and jpg formats, then use the jpg image as a guide to decide what you like best while developing your image in LR with the raw file. I would imagine the camera version of this had more 'pop' and vibrancy, greater contrast too?

....or go back and reshoot it when the light is better, as that's what's wrong with it. Fixing poor lighting in PP is not the solution.

Revisit the site at different times of day, or even year... Good photos need good lighting.

....or go back and reshoot it when the light is better, as that's what's wrong with it. Fixing poor lighting in PP is not the solution.

Revisit the site at different times of day, or even year... Good photos need good lighting.

The man is right. despite what i said earlier, there's a limited amount you can do in PP. But its no substitute for better light. In my opinion on dull(ish) days like this choose subject matter which suits the conditions. Try industrial units, waterfalls, woodland details.....

Back