Help, In two weeks will be a Night Rally here...

Edit My Images
Yes
hello mates!

In two weeks there will be a traditional rally here in Mexico, called "RALLY DE LA MEDIA NOCHE" or "HALF NIGHT RALLY" the event starts at 8pm friday and ends at 8am saturday.

Last year part of the rally was all wet because of the rain.

What do you recommend me? Wich settings to use on my camera?

I can use the built in flash, or use a 420EZ I have, but actually the EZ doesn't work well with the TTL of the 20D, so I have to use it in MANUAL MODE to make it work. Actually I haven't try that yet.

So, any comments, sugestions, etc. will be great!!

I cannot advise you on any settings but would suggest you go out and practice the shots - taking pictures of cars on ordinary streets at the same time of day as the rally.

I fancy going to some kind of motorsport event sometime. I like the slow shutter panning shots I have seen - but they need practice. I was thinking of going to the nearby motorway (interstate type road) and just shooting passing cars for practice :)

i have that flash, it wont work in any mode except manual, you can change the flash intensity but im not too sure about the rest, i need to read the manual on it really

With a fully manual flash you need to know the Guide Number, which will be in the instruction book. You can use a guide number for feet or metres, but you need make your mind up which you'll use, as the guide no will be quoted in feet and metres and both will be different. Let's say it has a guide No of 200 in feet. You can work in two ways..

(1) Divide the working distance from your subject (in feet) into the guide number to give you the aperture you should use. e.g. 20 feet = f10 (f11 in practice).

(2) Divide the aperture you wish to use into the guide number to give you your working distance in feet, e.g. f4 = 50 feet.

Don't practice on the general public in cars at night with a flash... one way or another you'll either really p*ss someone off & it might land you in trouble or cause an accident... the rally drivers should be used to it, how I don't know but I've seen them driving at top speed through a wall of flashes... but don't use it if no-one else is (find out if there are any rules... IOM TT bans all flashes & that's raced during the day)... the last thing you want to do is cause an accident in what is already a dangerous sport.

Would make for some good photography though :whistling

its a joke

Back