Help - Photoshop Elements - Image Issues

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
I've taken some photographs today, when I view them through Preview on the Mac they are perfect. Lovely blue background to the birds.

When I open in Elements, the background has circles radiating from the centre of picture, going to the outer edge.

When re-saved, those circles remain present in the background, even through Preview.

I initially thought it's a lens problem. But given that when viewed straight from the CF Card they are perfect, I can only guess it is something to do with Elements and the way it opens them.

Image below is an example after it has been saved from Elements.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Bretton Park  23rd Feb 2019 - 83e.jpg

Raw or Jpeg?

It looks to me like Photoshop Elements has restricted the continuous tones to a few tones - that suggests an inappropriate set of Elements default settings (assuming that you have done absolutely no processing).

That image is a cropped Jpeg, the original is the same once opened in Elements. I didn't take any in RAW format, which is a shame as would have liked to compare.

Just tried to attach the original, and when it shows on here it shows the rings as well. But through Mac Preview it doesn't show them... Totally confused.

Camera is set to Adobe RGB rather than sRGB.

If I send you my email, bung it over and I will see what it looks like in Elements and LR on my PC

If I send you my email, bung it over and I will see what it looks like in Elements and LR on my PC

Many thanks and I've sent them over to you.

Hi Mark

I looked at the straight jpeg and its fine in Elements and Lightroom 6
Looks like you have some sort of setting enabled in your version of Elements, no idea what though, sorry
Maybe see if its one of the Filters being applied, seems the most likely thing

Rich

Last edited:
At a quick glance, it looks like bad JPEG compression artefacts but a closer look shows that it's too even and regular in shape - I'd expect compression artefacts to be more banded than circular.

Hi Mark

I looked at the straight jpeg and its fine in Elements and Lightroom 6
Looks like you have some sort of setting enabled in your version of Elements, no idea what though, sorry
Maybe see if its one of the Filters being applied, seems the most likely thing

Rich

Thanks for taking a look. I'll click away and see what I can find, very odd.... I'll run them through LR on my other machine when I can, just thought elements would be quicker on this occasion. Thanks again.

Got to the bottom of it with a fair bit of help.... :banana:

BANDING

Having now gone back through everything, it does seem that when the files were batch saved, it compressed them to 3 out of 12. At that level the rings appear, once set to a decent file size they disappear.

Feel a total numpty now and having spent other peoples time looking at this, I apologise!!

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
@Spiderdudeuk

Before I suggest some points, just to be clear, I don't have Elements. I only use Photoshop, so while I can't be sure of Elements but I know from experience that it do happen with various raster software. (Not just Adobe, but I mean another any other software.)

Sometimes when you open an image file, the previous settings, if not reset, could have automatically applied to the image. For example, some filters, or light adjustment, or a crop outline appear ready for cropping even if you don't want to do cropping. You open an image file, it turned into some kind of watercolour, and you're like saying to the computer: "Hey! I don't want to apply the watercolour effects!" so you turn off the setting.

Happens to me a lot. Last image file, I was cropping the image. When I imported or open the next image file, Photoshop gets it ready for me to crop it, because the crop tool was the last tool I used.

Kind of like you changed your camera's settings to shoot in B&W, so unless you reset back to colour or your camera had been programmed to reset to default settings after being switched off, you would sometimes start shooting then goes like "What gives? The images is in black and white?!"

If you did not get the chance to turn off any setting before saving the image file, then the image files will be saved with the settings applied.

Also, when you export to JPEG, go for the highest quality setting, rather than lower quality settings. For example, if you tried to save a file as JPEG but compressing the image file a lot, then the image, once opened will show telltale signs of pixels. Lower settings will make the circles more and more noticeable.

As for the "preview" you spoke of, I'm not sure if you are referring to small thumbnail preview, or a small image size like when you click on the filename, the computer will show a preview, so being sure this is the one you want, you then open the file. (Note: I use Windows so don't know much about Mac, but assume Mac would have something similar?)

If this is so. Then because the preview is small, it is hardly noticeable unless you view at full size. Sometimes the preview image on camera looks fine, but when opening in a computer with a big monitor, you would goes like "What the? Where did that spot come from? It wasn't on the preview!"

As for the "preview" you spoke of, I'm not sure if you are referring to small thumbnail preview, or a small image size like when you click on the filename, the computer will show a preview, so being sure this is the one you want, you then open the file. (Note: I use Windows so don't know much about Mac, but assume Mac would have something similar?)

If this is so. Then because the preview is small, it is hardly noticeable unless you view at full size. Sometimes the preview image on camera looks fine, but when opening in a computer with a big monitor, you would goes like "What the? Where did that spot come from? It wasn't on the preview!"
Preview is an iMac program to view a variety of file types. It is the default program for opening Jpeg images =- not doesn't allow much beyond looking at the file but is very quick to open.

Preview is an iMac program to view a variety of file types. It is the default program for opening Jpeg images =- not doesn't allow much beyond looking at the file but is very quick to open.

So kinda like Window's own Windows Photo Viewer?

Back