Help please - My Nikon D7000 wont recognise my lens.

Name
Barbara
Edit My Images
No
I've just acquired a new Nikon D7000 and it's working beautifully with all my lenses, but when I put my Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro lens on it the camera doesn't recognise it.

I have tried the lens on my D80 and it's recognised straight away, so I can't see how it can be a problem with the lens or with the camera as it recognises all my other Sigma lenses.

I have locked the aperture ring at it's smallest aperture of 32, and I have tried cleaning the contacts. Can anyone suggest what the problem could be please, as I am desperate to get it to work.

A quick scan on google (nikon d7000 sigma 105mm) would seem to indicate that the lens you have will need to be rechipped by Sigma before it's compatible with the D7000. :(

A quick scan on google (nikon d7000 sigma 105mm) would seem to indicate that the lens you have will need to be rechipped by Sigma before it's compatible with the D7000. :(

Thanks Adrian. I've just been doing a search and seen that too. It looks like a lot of hassle ahead to get Sigma to do it. does anyone know whether it has to be sent back to them for rechipping?

Thanks Adrian. I've just been doing a search and seen that too. It looks like a lot of hassle ahead to get Sigma to do it. does anyone know whether it has to be sent back to them for rechipping?

Unfortunately yes, it would need to go back to them for rechipping.

Wow, there was me thinking it was just the Sony A33, A35, A55, A65 and A77 SLT's that had issues with certain Sigma lenses.

Didn't realise Nikon DSLR's had issues as well.

No, Sigma.

Now you are seeing the drawbacks of having a new camera and an older lens, people tend to upgrade their bodies and keep lenses, and this happens.

The 150-500 (a truly rubbish lens) I had once had to be done for a 350D once, be happy that it is possible at all.

One day the manufacturers will not offer this service making to yave to buy a new lens, I see that coming.

As far as I'm aware it'll need to be sent to sigma to be rechipped.

With the technology advancing all the time I expect this kind of problem to become more common. Sigma have to reverse engineer what nikon has done and then implement it in their lenses in such a way as it doesn't infringe upon any patents that Nikon (or Sony, Canon, etc have). This is a black art in itself, and difficult to get right for all possible eventualities. Basically what's happened in your case is that either the D7000 has tried to put the lens into a previously unknown mode (for sigma that is) or the "emulation" of the nikon system has encountered an issue with the way the D7000 communicates with the lens - possibly something as simple as an electonic timing issue.

Obviously I can't say for sure, but working in the tech industry myself these would be the most plausible reasons.

Sigma bring this on themselves. One of the sigma/Sony issues is because, when they reverse engineered a Sony 100mm lens, they didnt bother to change the lens ID. If you therefore have both the Sony 100mm and whichever sigma lens has the same ID, your AF adjustments get messed up.

Never any problems with Tamron, who pay for the licence to use the mount.

Well I have sent an email to Sigma telling them how disappointed I am. They seem to have re-chipped them free of charge for some of the people on the net, so fingers crossed I might be lucky. I must admit this has put me off buying any more Sigma lens, which is a shame as I have been really pleased with my 10-20 and my 18-50.

Sigma bring this on themselves. One of the sigma/Sony issues is because, when they reverse engineered a Sony 100mm lens, they didnt bother to change the lens ID. If you therefore have both the Sony 100mm and whichever sigma lens has the same ID, your AF adjustments get messed up.

Never any problems with Tamron, who pay for the licence to use the mount.

I'm not sure that Nikon, or Canon for that matter, offer the opportunity for third party companies to buy licenses for their respective lens mounts. Sony on the other hand have historically shown a desire to license their technology, and if this is the case then Sigma should really play ball for the sake of their customers.

However, I'm fully prepared to be corrected on Nikon/Canon licensing thing.

Well I have sent an email to Sigma telling them how disappointed I am. They seem to have re-chipped them free of charge for some of the people on the net, so fingers crossed I might be lucky. I must admit this has put me off buying any more Sigma lens, which is a shame as I have been really pleased with my 10-20 and my 18-50.

Hang on in there and get it chipped if you need to... I've got the same lens with the screw-thread AF and it really is pin sharp... thankfully, I think mine must have been re-chipped when I bought it, as the EXIF data for any shots I've taken with it say 'Nikon 105mm' and not 'Sigma'...

That's a bit insulting. Maybe JSER had a bad copy?

Thank you, perhaps if the person making that inane comment had "read" what I stated "a truly rubbish lens i had once" he would not have made such a comment.

I did not say THE 150-500 lens in general was rubbish.

Read below, I meant 170-500 not 150-500

Last edited:
JSER said:
Thank you, perhaps if the person making that inane comment had "read" what I stated "a truly rubbish lens i had once" he would not have made such a comment.

I did not say THE 150-500 lens in general was rubbish.

Sorry, but I read it as you were saying that the 150-500 was a truly rubbish lens.

To the op, good luck, I would say it would be worth having the lens re chipped even if you had to pay, they produce excellent images.

BY THE WAY APOLOGIES I meant the 170-500 NOT the 150-500 when I said the lens was terrible.

Be honest we have all at some time made an error in what we say, lenses change so often.

What people fail to remember is that Nikon and Canon only make lenses for their own cameras, Sigma and Tamton etc have to make lenses fit other makes, so there are going to be problems at times.

Sigma have a superb customer relations, I had the lens done and returned free within a week, still a poor lens, I have also called them many times over the years and received superb help.

I now have a 120-400 and it makes the 170-500 I had look truly lame. In fact I wasn't going to get another Sigma because of the terrible 175-500 (and I am not the only one to complain about that lens) but I am glad I did.

Last edited:
JSER said:
The 150-500 (a truly rubbish lens)

That reads as a generalisation that the 150-500 is a rubbish lens. I know I have quoted a section, but the fact you put the 'a truly rubbish lens' in brackets says you are talking about the lens generally not the specific copy you had.

BY THE WAY APOLOGIES I meant the 170-500 NOT the 150-500 when I said the lens was terrible.

Be honest we have all at some time made an error in what we say, lenses change so often.

What people fail to remember is that Nikon and Canon only make lenses for their own cameras, Sigma and Tamton etc have to make lenses fit other makes, so there are going to be problems at times.

Sigma have a superb customer relations, I had the lens done and returned free within a week, still a poor lens, I have also called them many times over the years and received superb help.

I now have a 120-400 and it makes the 170-500 I had look truly lame. In fact I wasn't going to get another Sigma because of the terrible 175-500 (and I am not the only one to complain about that lens) but I am glad I did.
sorry jeremy it was not ment in nasty way,
but as for the 170-500mm being rubbish i must disagree and say i have had 3 in pentax mount long story and one in nikon mount didnt keep because no os/vr, but i rate them better than the 150-500mm.
170-500mm all 4 copies sharp as wide open,
SJB10042a.jpg

IMGP7174.jpg

SJB10933.jpg

and just to show.
heres a pic from my bad 150-500mm at 500mm wide open 1000/sec
SJB11253.jpg

same settings 170-500mm
SJB11192.jpg

150-500mm not even as sharp at f10.
sigma150-500mmdgf10.jpg

Last edited:
As I said, the one I had was C%^&, of the worst possible type, it was soft, almost out of focus, I know people have taken good photographs with theirs, but no matter what I tried the quality was rubbish. I agree that it may be a good lens but I must have had a Friday afternoon one.

That reads as a generalisation that the 150-500 is a rubbish lens. I know I have quoted a section, but the fact you put the 'a truly rubbish lens' in brackets says you are talking about the lens generally not the specific copy you had.

Did you read my post above yours ?

As I said, the one I had was C%^&, of the worst possible type, it was soft, almost out of focus, I know people have taken good photographs with theirs, but no matter what I tried the quality was rubbish. I agree that it may be a good lens but I must have had a Friday afternoon one.
it does happen, and i think to be fare sigma do have alot of friday afternoon lenses about i had a 150-500mm. and thats why now when it comes to buying sigma lenses a would rather pay a little more and get it from my local shop still 15 miles away but its alot easier to sort any problems out and i make sure i test it properly in the first place as i did my 50-500mm os.

it does happen, and i think to be fare sigma do have alot of friday afternoon lenses about i had a 150-500mm. and thats why now when it comes to buying sigma lenses a would rather pay a little more and get it from my local shop still 15 miles away but its alot easier to sort any problems out and i make sure i test it properly in the first place as i did my 50-500mm os tried 3 lenses and mine was the sharpest by a far bit..

it does happen, and i think to be fare sigma do have alot of friday afternoon lenses about i had a 150-500mm. and thats why now when it comes to buying sigma lenses a would rather pay a little more and get it from my local shop still 15 miles away but its alot easier to sort any problems out and i make sure i test it properly in the first place as i did my 50-500mm os tried 3 lenses and mine was the sharpest by a far bit..

You see that is something I do agree with, you can't beat using a local shop, where possible, for knowlege and try before you buy, it is all very well complaining that they are more expensive (not always, I find Jessops and Warehouse Express more expensive on almost all things) but it is nice to go to a shop, take time "looking" and enjoy the buying experience.

Also haggle, many will offer a free something even if they can't go less on price.

If the lens is still within it's guarantee, Sigma cover the costs of rechipping the lens. You initially have to pay the postage, but that get's refunded.

If it's outside of the guarantee you have to pay, but it's usually only £35 and it's fairly quick. You also have to pay for the postage for non-guarantee repairs.

Read this with much interest, owning a few non-OEM lenses and planning to obtain a D7K at some stage soon... does anyone know if Tamron have the same issues as Sigma (isn't perfectly clear in the thread), or if they offer the same re-chipping option as Sigma?

Read this with much interest, owning a few non-OEM lenses and planning to obtain a D7K at some stage soon... does anyone know if Tamron have the same issues as Sigma (isn't perfectly clear in the thread), or if they offer the same re-chipping option as Sigma?

I don't mean it nastiy but have you tried GOOGLE

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=36755553
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-910849.html
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/194412

Some are old but pertinent threads.

Just google do tamron lenses need re chipping etc.

The answere is most third party may/will

As I said, even THREE years after I had my 170-500 it was re chipped FREE and especially sent AND returned within 5 days including postage time, that is as stated above, S E R V I C E.

Back