Help re cropping and fitting on photo paper

Name
Bob
Edit My Images
Yes
Finally got my canon photo printer going again after a 5 year lapse.
When I crop in affinity photo, I tend to crop to what suits the image.
The standard crop settings are 6x4, 7x5 and 10x8.
How do i crop to ensure I can fit fully on my A4 paper?
I can input dimensions but when I put in 210mmx297mm it's not showing the same as A4 on my printer preview.
I know it's probably a simple thing, but it's got me stumped. :)

If you mean to bleed edge on A4 from the ratio of sizes you mention...............Note ~ my Calculator not to hand ;)

Divide the 297 by 210 to find its ratio and compared as appropriate to the ratio's of the three standard print sizes. If one is a match, jobs a good 'un or if close enough then some paper trimming required.

If you mean to fit into the A4 size, well likewise but you will have to centre each one and I surmise will get unequal borders???

I hope my 2p's makes sense ??? But if not just ignore my ramblings :LOL:

If you mean to bleed edge on A4 from the ratio of sizes you mention...............Note ~ my Calculator not to hand ;)

Divide the 297 by 210 to find its ratio and compared as appropriate to the ratio's of the three standard print sizes. If one is a match, jobs a good 'un or if close enough then some paper trimming required.

If you mean to fit into the A4 size, well likewise but you will have to centre each one and I surmise will get unequal borders???

I hope my 2p's makes sense ??? But if not just ignore my ramblings :LOL:
I was meaning to fit the A4 size, but maybe that's not possible?

Do you mean borderless printing?
Yes.
My cameras native aspect is 3:2 which I usually crop without really worrying about the crop ratio, but now I've got the printer working, I've been starting to do some prints, and the crops I've done dont fill the A4 paper.
In future, when cropping I'll try to crop in a way that it fits A4 borderless

Set the crop dimensions to 210x297mm to get the correct aspect ratio and experiment with the borderless options until you just fill the paper.

Set the crop dimensions to 210x297mm to get the correct aspect ratio and experiment with the borderless options until you just fill the paper.
I tried that, but when I do, the crop grid overlay is small compared to the photo.
I can use the same ratio to make it bigger, eg. 445mm x 315mm, or 594mm x 420mm and it looks like it will fit.
Just wondered if there was a quick way in affinity photo to save the crop ratio so I can then alter the size of the grid by dragging but keeping the same ratio.

Try using Canon "Print Studio Pro" software, I have it as a plug in for Lightroom
The layout tab lets you mess about with fitting to the page, I find it handy to see what you will get
It should work with your current crops, hopefully just a matter of adjusting the margins here and there

Try using Canon "Print Studio Pro" software, I have it as a plug in for Lightroom
The layout tab lets you mess about with fitting to the page, I find it handy to see what you will get
It should work with your current crops, hopefully just a matter of adjusting the margins here and there
It's only available as a plug in, so won't work with affinity photo I dont think.

It's only available as a plug in, so won't work with affinity photo I dont think.

Didn't know that, oh well sorry about that, I only use Lightroom and PSE
It should work with Canon DPP too, that's a free download I believe

Last edited:
Guys, I've managed to save some presets for the A4 size crops that should work.
Thanks for all your help.

If I'm going to print onto A4, I need to consider the ratio when I do my initial crop.
As a lot of my images are birds, they tend to have tighter crops, and when I set them up to print fully on A4, I'm losing important parts of the image.

I need to get the crop ratio right in affinity photo, then my full image will fit the paper without it being cropped further by the printer paper settings.

Hope all that makes sense.
I'm away for a couple of days so will try it when I get back.

Most Photoshop and Lightroom plug-ins should work with Affinity Photo although it can be a bit of a faff to make them.

I don't have Affinity, but in PS you can preset the crop tool for width and height in your chosen units (pixels, inches, mm, etc), and resolution (ppi).

Printing seems be another matter here, but if the crop's sized for A4 as above and you choose A4 paper in the print dialogue, isn't that it, done?

I don't have Affinity, but in PS you can preset the crop tool for width and height in your chosen units (pixels, inches, mm, etc), and resolution (ppi).

Printing seems be another matter here, but if the crop's sized for A4 as above and you choose A4 paper in the print dialogue, isn't that it, done?

Re: fitting onto A4, if you don't crop appropriately to fit in PP but "crop in the print driver(?)" a borderless print does that not cause way too much overspray into the waste tank/sponge..... shortening the printer life???

Guys, I've managed to save some presets for the A4 size crops that should work.
Thanks for all your help.

If I'm going to print onto A4, I need to consider the ratio when I do my initial crop.
As a lot of my images are birds, they tend to have tighter crops, and when I set them up to print fully on A4, I'm losing important parts of the image.

I need to get the crop ratio right in affinity photo, then my full image will fit the paper without it being cropped further by the printer paper settings.

Hope all that makes sense.
I'm away for a couple of days so will try it when I get back.

That is what post #9 was saying

That's (probably) because you have more pixels available than you need for the dimensions you've entered. Once you've got the crop box on the screen, set to the ratio you want as a final picture, just drag the box so one corner is where you want it then drag the opposite corner until you have the crop you want/need. Please note that that's in Photoshop rather than Affinity but I expect they work fairly similarly.

That's (probably) because you have more pixels available than you need for the dimensions you've entered. Once you've got the crop box on the screen, set to the ratio you want as a final picture, just drag the box so one corner is where you want it then drag the opposite corner until you have the crop you want/need. Please note that that's in Photoshop rather than Affinity but I expect they work fairly similarly.
I tried dragging it, but it doesn't keep the ratio, it still seems to move freehand.
I've now saved some dimensions so it crops ok. :)

Back