Help save police dog Ivy

Name
Jay
Edit My Images
Yes
https://www.change.org/p/west-mercia-police-help-police-dog-ivy-stay-with-her-beloved-dog-handler

Link includes photo of Ivy.

This dog is only 4 and will already be loosing her 3rd home. Police workers frequently get to keep their dog on retiring, as the emotional bond between the dog and the handler is recognised. The police persons home and family is the dogs home and family. I have worked with dogs and know how distressed they are at being separated from their people. If you fee compassion for this chap and his dog, please consider signing the petition in the link above. Thanks.

Did have a search around for this but couldn't find it. Duly signed and thanks for the link.

Signed

Done, as it would be lovely for her to stay with he handler.

But, to play devil's advocate here, she's not a pet, but a highly (and expensively) trained police dog, who is, potentially only 50% into her working life, so I can understand West Mercia Police wanting to continue her service.

@viv1969 i know what you are saying, but She's only a police dog at work. She is a pet the rest of the time. I don't think that the dog actually knows that she is a police dog, merely that she has been highly trained to respond to the commands of her handler. To seperate them would be a crime, which give her performance and the 30 years her handler has dedicated to keeping us all safe, it would seem completely wrong.

According to the BBC article, her family have even offered to pay the full costs, some £24000 I believe.

To those who haven't, please sign it, as I have done.

Last edited:
Did anyone scroll down, on the change.org page, & see the petition about the two freaks who cut off a dogs ears, to pose for a selfie?! Words fail me...............:jawdrop:

Sorry, @viv1969 the please sign it was aimed at those who haven't. I was juggling three kids at the time and got distracted. I only mentioned you to discuss the pet/work dog debate :)

I have edited it to read a little better :)

No problem.
Juggling three kids!!
That's got to be YouTube gold!! :D

I've every sympathy, I love dogs and will probably be getting one myself at some point this year but at the same time she is also a working dog with many more years ahead of her, ultimately I believe she should be teamed up with another handler, police dogs take a lot of training and development to gain the skills they need

But for the dog, it's not about training or development, it's just a bond between it and it's handler. It does it's work out of love for its handler no other reason. It doesn't know why it's doing what it does other than its 'master' and head of the pack asks it to do it.

But for the dog, it's not about training or development, it's just a bond between it and it's handler. It does it's work out of love for its handler no other reason. It doesn't know why it's doing what it does other than its 'master' and head of the pack asks it to do it.

And she can develop a strong bond with another handler, as countless other working police dogs have before her.

Penty of serving police officers retire early while still useful so why not the dog.

Hello,

The petition is nearing 30,000 supporters!

The press coverage has been fantastic, from The Sun to Daily Mail to BBC News to New Zealand News to America (Cheri Lucas, Master Dog Trainer for Cesar Milan - TV’s Dog Whisperer - showed her support yesterday by circulating the petition in America!) Now, people all over the world are signing it, and it's only day 5!

Thank you, to everyone here who signed and shared the petition…

Best,

Jacob Windsor,
Chief Supporter & Journalist (working with Team PD Ivy & PS Dave)

P.S You can get updates on the story via my Facebook page - https://facebook.com/Jacob.windsor.104.or twitter @JacobWindsorUK.

Penty of serving police officers retire early
Often to avoid disciplinary action.

Just get the dog to chew up some evidence, or take a poo on the Chief Constable's desk (or in his hat). Early retirement ahoy!

Back