Help stitching ultra wide angle shots to make pano

Edit My Images
Yes
I took a set of 18 shots of the milky way at 15mm (35mm equiv.) in two rows of nine. Stitching them in Lr or Ps results in a mess, the output having the arching MW as a horizontal band and a very curved horizon. I assume this is because of the distortion coming from using an upward tilted ultra wide angle lens. Any ideas on how to work round this? I've tried in PTGui as well but as a novice I might not be using its full capabilities.

Tools for stitching panoramas usually have some way of specifying the projection to be used to create the final image. For example I use PTAssembler and the online documentation has a very good explanation of the different types of projection. It sounds to me like you've used the wrong type of projection. Either that or you need to change th yaw parameter in the projection to tell the software that the camera is pointing upwards.

Tools for stitching panoramas usually have some way of specifying the projection to be used to create the final image. For example I use PTAssembler and the online documentation has a very good explanation of the different types of projection. It sounds to me like you've used the wrong type of projection. Either that or you need to change th yaw parameter in the projection to tell the software that the camera is pointing upwards.

I did try some alternative projections in Lr (and auto in Ps). But I'll experiment and search for a "yaw parameter" as that sounds a likely culprit. Thanks

If you want to upload low-ish resolution versions of the images somewhere, I'd be happy to have a play with them to see what problems I encounter.

If you want to upload low-ish resolution versions of the images somewhere, I'd be happy to have a play with them to see what problems I encounter.
I might take you up on that kind offer as I'm having no joy from randomly pressing buttons in packages I don't know! If I can find time I'll see if I can put them in a sharable Dropbox folder, if that works for you

I've not done much with stars, but Microsoft ICE has done some incredible stitching jobs for me.
Well worth 1000x the price, (unusual for Microsoft) :cool:

I assume your remembering to give good overlap (~30% is recommended).

Back