Help tracking someone down after online deal went bad.

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I recently bought a watch on facebook marketplace.. Done through BT (not a massive amount of money £100, but still).. I know I had no real guarantee, but we exchanged messages and he seemed fine and responded to any questions, said he would post and send tracking info. but nothing after he said he was posting it. I don't have much detail.. Just full name, and bank account details.. He has removed his facebook profile although has a similar profile with same picture.. so I don't have much to go on.. Is there anything I can do? 1. to find out more about him - address etc and 2. anyway of getting my money back? Prob not but worth a shot..

Thanks

So much of this goes on these days - all done on trust.

Maybe you can ask others in the Marketplace Group if it's a localised one, if they know him or also if they've seen any other profiles of his.

Are you able to see his friends on his other profile - might be able to message some of them if they don't look like family members?

Thanks, the Advert has been removed along with his profile (although 2nd profile with same name and very similar photo).. It is strange, as it was for a Seiko watch which required repair.. so hardly seemed like you would list it to scam someone!! Saw a fella in one of his photos who is a friend and runs a landscaping business and has a mobile number.. so maybe give him a shout..

as it was for a Seiko watch which required repair.. so hardly seemed like you would list it to scam someone!!.

I would have thought even more reason, if it's in need of repair (not working?). He could have nicked it, found it, broke it himself.

Maybe i'm an old sinic (sp)

Good luck tracking him down

chances are name is a dud as bank details do not yet have to match account name.
report it to the bank, police will not be interested.

the police will take the details but will not go any further, if he is a genuine robber the account will be pretty anon and there will be no one to chase.
unless you have an actual genuine name and or address its pretty much done for.

Hi,

I recently bought a watch on facebook marketplace.. Done through BT (not a massive amount of money £100, but still).. I know I had no real guarantee, but we exchanged messages and he seemed fine and responded to any questions, said he would post and send tracking info. but nothing after he said he was posting it. I don't have much detail.. Just full name, and bank account details.. He has removed his facebook profile although has a similar profile with same picture.. so I don't have much to go on.. Is there anything I can do? 1. to find out more about him - address etc and 2. anyway of getting my money back? Prob not but worth a shot..

Thanks
Go to your bank or write to them and expain what has happened and see if they can obtain a name and address for the account that you sent the money to. Banks don't like their accounts used for fraudulent purposes. Remember no matter what anyone else says to you about asking your bank it is not relevant. All that is relevant is what your bank say's. Ask.

Go to your bank or write to them and expain what has happened and see if they can obtain a name and address for the account that you sent the money to. Banks don't like their accounts used for fraudulent purposes. Remember no matter what anyone else says to you about asking your bank it is not relevant. All that is relevant is what your bank say's. Ask.
They won’t give out any details, it’s against the data protection rules. It might be worth reporting it to Action Fraud but I wouldn’t hold my breath, they don’t seem to get many results.

It’s a shame the OP used a bank transfer, PayPal is a lot safer. As long as you don’t use the gift option you stand a chance of putting in a claim and getting refunded.

They won’t give out any details, it’s against the data protection rules.
In fact, where an innocent third party has information that can be relevant to a crime or tort, an application can be made to a court to compell the third party to provide that information. The OP can ask their solicitor about a "Norwich Pharmacal order"

In fact, where an innocent third party has information that can be relevant to a crime or tort, an application can be made to a court to compell the third party to provide that information. The OP can ask their solicitor about a "Norwich Pharmacal order"
A solicitor or court might be able to get the bank to hand over information, agreed, but that’s not what was suggested. I doubt merely contacting a bank directly yourself would glean any result at all.

chances are name is a dud as bank details do not yet have to match account name.
report it to the bank, police will not be interested.

Last time I did a bank transfer it was in branch and they insisted on a name to match against the recipients account

Last time I did a bank transfer it was in branch and they insisted on a name to match against the recipients account
Most likely for reference.

I can do a transfer to any sort and Acc from my bank without a name.

Doesn't help op now but most of these online market places (Facebook, gumtree, shpock etc etc) are all intended to be cash in hand purchases and specifically warn against electronic transfers for posted goods as there is little to zero protection.

As suggested above PayPal (for goods and services, not gift) may be a better idea if you're really desperate for the goods on offer. At least you could claim the money back easily with no tracking details being provided.

Most likely for reference.

I can do a transfer to any sort and Acc from my bank without a name.

No, when I said that's the first time I have ever been asked for a name they specifically said it was for fraud prevention

Thanks for the input.. I do have his name, but whether that's real or not.. who knows.. will call into the bank and see what they say..

I called into Halifax today, they said I can make a claim for the money after 28 days.. So hopefully that will sort it.. just have to wait now.

I called into Halifax today, they said I can make a claim for the money after 28 days.. So hopefully that will sort it.. just have to wait now.

Thats good to know! I'm about 50% towards buying a car from a "dealer" on Saturday if its still available - but he only accepts debit card or bank transfer. Just the demons in me telling me I should really pay on a credit card!

2.5% premium for a credit card though, so thats probably why they want it that way.
Check with the bank that they will allow you to transfer that amount of money on a bank transfer. When we bought our last car from Mazda we had to inform the bank and they gave us a specific 1 hour time window for the transfer that we did in the dealership.

Vauxhall dealer wouldn't take a cc payment above 300 quid, car was bought with Nat West debit card

Thats good to know! I'm about 50% towards buying a car from a "dealer" on Saturday if its still available - but he only accepts debit card or bank transfer. Just the demons in me telling me I should really pay on a credit card!

Put a small amount, but at least £100, on a credit card. That’ll give you some extra protection.

Why would anyone still transfer money to a complete stranger with no guarantee? We have new threads here every day and the same is said again and again. Just don't do it. Period. Even using facebook is complete lunacy like you've demonstrated. I've made 0 sales from facebook to this date. It is data gobbling POS.

99% chance you'd get nowhere with any such claim. Buy from someone private and save 50% and you'll probably have a working car if you check it over. Many dealership older PX are duff bangers in their last 1000miles.

Buy from someone private and save 50% and you'll probably have a working car if you check it over. Many dealership older PX are duff bangers in their last 1000miles.
You dont even know anything about the dealer, or the car he's buying, so that's a bit of a duff statement.

You dont even know anything about the dealer, or the car he's buying, so that's a bit of a duff statement.

That's right. But I know they all must mark up all cars at least extra 50% to be profitable and I know the sort of crap a lot of people give to them as px. It applies to all business.

It's good to know that private sellers don't flog bodged up pieces of s*** that a dealer won't touch and they know it.

I'll bear that in mind.

or is it bare? I'm never sure.

Last edited:
Buy from someone private and save 50% and you'll probably have a working car if you check it over. Many dealership older PX are duff bangers in their last 1000miles.

I suspect you’re just making things up and generalising...

I bought my (cheapish) car from a small local dealer in 2012, it’s still going strong and other than normal maintenance has never had a problem.

I'd rather buy from a reputable dealer then privately. my present car second hand from a dealer 8 years ago
and have no complaints whatsoever, in fact it was underpriced due to the engine management light
coming on, but that proved not to be a problem, it does it when it blows a brake light :rolleyes:
On the other hand I've had a few friends buy privately and had nothing but problems, the reply
from the seller is "sold as seen"

Now with changes that were made to the SOGA along with the CCA, very few main dealers will retail older cars due to the risk of customers rejecting goods due to faults. Also Social Media has created a situation where customers will normally get more than they are entitled to as dealers wish to avoid negative press.

Having worked in the industry for over 20 years these out of date sweeping generalisations really irk me. Don’t get me wrong there are still outlets who give the industry a bad name but these are a small minority and mainly small independent used car outlets, not franchised main dealers.

the police will take the details but will not go any further,.

unless your a well know star and someone said BOO to you then the police will go all out to track them down and get a conviction.... rest of us... no chance :(

Now with changes that were made to the SOGA along with the CCA, very few main dealers will retail older cars due to the risk of customers rejecting goods due to faults. Also Social Media has created a situation where customers will normally get more than they are entitled to as dealers wish to avoid negative press.

Having worked in the industry for over 20 years these out of date sweeping generalisations really irk me. Don’t get me wrong there are still outlets who give the industry a bad name but these are a small minority and mainly small independent used car outlets, not franchised main dealers.

I'm not really talking about 1 year old cars or main dealers but rather those older ones... In any way any dealership will have to charge VAT and make profit unless clearing out so that's basically that. You look at some small 7 year old cars in fourcourts and can't understand how they are still £5, 6 or 7k. I wouldn't pay 2k for most of them.

I bought my (cheapish) car from a small local dealer in 2012, it’s still going strong and other than normal maintenance has never had a problem.

Good. My main one was also bought from one of those kinds in ebay auction with some minor flaws (which could be anything from drop links to blown engine, but you can test and leave it before paying). They apparently just buy from auction in bulk and ebay them. Net result not too expensive and presumably some minor profit for them and completely shafted former owner - 100% self inflicted too.

I'm not really talking about 1 year old cars or main dealers but rather those older ones... In any way any dealership will have to charge VAT and make profit unless clearing out so that's basically that. You look at some small 7 year old cars in fourcourts and can't understand how they are still £5, 6 or 7k. I wouldn't pay 2k for most of them.
Thing is if you are looking at 6/7 year old cars on a dealer forecourt, they have standards they have to adhere to. Even independents have had to increase standards so as to meet consumer expectations. With most dealers retailing a car of that age, there will probably be a requirement for brakes and tyres (most standards dictate at least 3mm), servicing, mot. On top of that there will be warranty costs, it isn’t unheard of that by the time you have factored in all this along with vat, you’ve blown the best part of a grand.

Also new car prices has risen significantly over the last 20 years, a new Fiesta for example is now over £13k. To put that into perspective the first car that I ever sold was a brand new Vauxhall’s Omega CDX 2.5d for £12k!

Back