Help - What are these lines on my photo

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

this is the 2nd time I have noticed these lines on a pic of mine, I have boosted the sharpness and saturation in Picasa to highlight them, can anyone help or let me know what they think it is?

Red and blue lines coming from the top flower, I have seen it in raw files and today it was a jpeg original as well.

:(

127983844-L.jpg

Mike.

Hmmmn that doesn't look good tbh are these lines always in the same place or is it dependant on the photo you are taking ? Do they show up on all photos or just the occasional ones ?

I'm having trouble seeing any lines at all tbh Mike ... must have spent too long in the POTY Comp Gallery ... :D

:p

They run from the petal that is at about 2 o'clock, Ven and go straight out horizontally to the right hand edge of the photo. An orange one, a blue one and various thinner ones underneath.

Thanx J ... I can see something a bit blurry there but can't say I can see those colours ... :shrug:

:p

You can see that there is a photo there, Ven? :D

I can see them - just. Although if its the same on every photo, it'd bother me as much as the unavoidable vignetting I get on my S5100.

Hate to say it but my money's on a faulty sensor.

Hi,

doesn't show on all photos, I saw somewhere that it might be the card so I will try a new one and see, that card has been used/deleted many times porbably about 5000 shots been through it, so fingers crossed its that.

New sensor, oh dear not cheap I expect.

Mike.

I'm afraid this is known as "CCD smearing". I'm not sure if it's a problem with the sensor.

Vertical smear
Vertical smear is a phenomenon peculiar to some types of CCD camera which occurs when a bright object or light source is shot with the camera. This phenomenon is observed on the monitor as a vertical streak above and below the object or light source.

Sample photo:
http://www.mintron.com/HTM/Q&A/Htm/Smear rejection ratio and measurement.htm

Edit: Though the 350D is a CMOS sensor............. so it shouldn't suffer from CCD smearing! Unless smearing also occurs on CMOS sensors.......... ?

Edit: So it could be a problem with the sensor. :( You should try taking pictures of bright objects near the top or bottom (at different positions across the view) with dark background to see if the smearing only occurs at one area or all over.

umm. his photo is rotated.

edit: rotated so it is vertical lines. the sensor "orientation" doesn't change if you have your camera in portrait mode.

I can't see this being a memory card issue to be honest looks more like what Kamion has suggested. If it was a memory card I would have expected random pixel colours rather than a line.

Hi,

thanks for all the replies folks, I will try a new card as have one anyway, although suspect not that but worth a try.

Whatever it is I bet it's not cheap to repair, it will be one of those "it would be cheaper to buy a new one" scenarios :(

Mike.

I've had similar problems regarding the horizontal lines with my new Canon 350D,as you have the same camera mabey it could be just a problem with those? I went to jessops for them to check it,and they took it in and did a few tests and it came up with nothing,but they only did about 30 shots and i had bought it just a month before the 400D came out hahaha :bonk:
This is what my camera churned out...

Picture161.jpg

That was shot at a place where they have very powerful lights,but i've done more gig photos there and not had any problems,its been fine for months now,still not sure what causes them but i use picassa too sometimes..mabeys its that :shrug: Tis very odd

hmmm. peculiar. maybe you should email Canon to see if they say anything about it.

Are they more / less obvious in with different ISO settings ?

Back