Help with an electrical problem please.

Tringa

Numpty of the Day'
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Grateful for some help about my dishwasher.

Just discovered the inside of my dishwasher is live when it is plugged in and switched on.

I wasn't sure at first but if I touch the inside of the dishwasher with one hand and the stainless steel sink with the other I get a noticeable, but small shock. It is very small and I only feel it if I'm also in contact with the sink. It isn't sufficient to flip out a circuit breaker.

However, I used one of those 'electrical' screwdrivers and it glows when I touch it to the inside of the dishwasher.

The socket for the dishwasher is near the floor in a cupboard and I switched it off. When the socket is off, the 'electrical' screwdriver does not glow when touched on the inside of the dishwasher.

The plug is a moulded one so I can't open it up to see if the connections look OK.

Is there any way for a simpleton like me to find out if the fault is with the dishwasher(which is relatively new) or with some part of the circuit and wiring supplying the dishwasher?

This problem, as far as I'm aware, didn't happen with the old dishwasher which makes me think it is the new dishwasher rather than the circuit, but it has only just started and we had no problem when the dishwasher was first installed.

Thanks

Dave

I used to fix appliances in a previous life, had a similar fault with a washing machine and it was the house electrics, the earth lead in the socket was picking up a live supply from somewhere, not 240v but enough to give a shock. Try a plug in socket tester about a £8 from screwfix.
It could equally be an insulation fault on the appliance, like a live wire touching the cabinet, however this would normally be be picked up by your RCD on your consumer unit, unless there is no earth path present.
The other things to look out for is water in the base or any moisture present in the machine causing earth leakage.
The usual procedure is to do an insulation test on the machine with a megger meter however decent ones are not cheap.
One test, is to plug the dishwasher into an extension lead that is fed from a different ring main, and try the electrical screwdriver test to see if it lights again, which should prove if the ring main is safe or not, however I must add if you are not competent in any way to deal with electrical work, call out the correct trade person (my disclaimer).

If you're "testing" this by having one hand in the dishwasher and one on the sink you're setting up a nice potential circuit straight through your heart, so we can assume that unless you're posting via a Ouija board its not 240v.
Please ring a professional.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like an electrician tomorrow.

Dave

If you're "testing" this by having one hand in the dishwasher and one on the sink you're setting up a nice potential circuit straight through your heart, so we can assume that unless you're posting via a Ouija board its not 240v.
Please ring a professional.

Code word G A F M O applies. :LOL:

Update on this 'problem' and another request for opinion.

I checked the dishwasher again on Monday morning and the 'electric' screwdriver showed nothing (the screwdriver was working OK as I tested it near a socket).

I ran the dishwasher through one of its cycles, tested again with the screwdriver and got nothing and (with Mrs Tringa in attendance if something did go wrong) I touched the inside of the dishwasher and the sink unit - no shock at all.

I've check a few times since then and whether I use the screwdriver or touch it there has been no indication of charge or a shock.

Is it possible the shock I got from the dishwasher was static?

Mrs T suggested this and I initially thought it unlikely due to the inside of dishwasher being generally wet.

However, the shock felt similar to the static shock I sometimes get from the car and when it happened all the dampness from the dishwasher had evaporated and the inside was bone dry.

Dave

I'm sure a 60W light bulb which draws something like 0.5A can kill you. A dishwasher is what, 10A? :oops: :$

What make is the dishwasher? If it's relatively new then an electrician to confirm that it's not insulated properly should allow you to return it even if out of standard warranty as I'm sure you get many years of protection for certain things?

It could be an actual fault or it could be something working in a way which can create a voltage on the metalwork such as a mains input filter/smoothing/anti surge device. These can dump 110v onto the metal casing and this could explain why it didn't feel like a 240v shock. That wouldn't explain why it stopped doing it though unless there's some other variable at play. Another possibility is that something else has an input filter dumping a potential difference onto the earth and is "contaminating" other metal bodied things if the earthing isn't up to scratch.

Whatever... the only way to be sure and get it fixed or gain peace of mind is to call an electrician.

Just on the 110v dumping mains filters. When I did product compliance it surprised me how common this is. It is IMO a lazy way of doing things as it can lead to earth leakage devices tripping and can lead to any connected device having a voltage on its case, even if at low current, if the earthing circuit isn't effective.

Call an electrician.

.. personally I got one of those magic dish washers , I never go near the kitchen unless I'm going into the garden but as I pass through I always see the washed dishes piled on the draining board . perhaps we got a fairy .. :thinking::thinking::thinking:

Im sorry but I can't believe you're still fannying about with this rather than getting it checked.

Nor can I ! There are a number of possibilities, but if the OP knew enough he would not be on here asking for advice. Not only could there be a risk of a lethal shock, but there could be a fire risk. Getting the house and family charred is a very bad way to learn.

RIP Dave o_O:banghead:

I’m in stitches reading this thread. Obviously, because Dave T..OP and Dave70D are both still with us. Having said that The OP’s last post was 1.03pm yesterday. Has he tempted fate once too often ? I’ll try my hand at most things that need attention at home but NEVER anything involving electricity.

OP. ‘I put my hand inside the dishwasher and the other on the sink”

‘ The dishwasher was wet inside “

‘Mrs. T stood by in case something went wrong” Is she a paramedic, Dave ? Lol

Summed up well in the previous post by F1.2

.. personally I got one of those magic dish washers , I never go near the kitchen unless I'm going into the garden but as I pass through I always see the washed dishes piled on the draining board . perhaps we got a fairy .. :thinking::thinking::thinking:

You can't call them that these days. Too un PC. Anyway, I'm straight and I do housework.

Back