Help with first prints

Thanks for you reply, House moves are stressful so I appreciate your time. I guess a basic question (very basic) that I should have asked at the start is -“ the correct profile in the print dialogue box” - looking at the screenshot I have posted, is this the drop down box titled presets, ie with the selection of default, or does it refer to paper or what? I apologise if this is a daft question.

No such thing as a daft question.... If you can bare with me I will try and do some screen shots of the correct settings later on today...

Hi Jon...

Here are some screen shots of what works for me... (note I very rarely if ever use LR these days)...

Firstly the correct profile selected in the print dialogue (in this case for Photo Paper Plus Glossy)
Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 12.22.18.png
Next the colour matching tab showing ColorSynch selected but greyed out (which is correct)
Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 12.23.25.png
Then the Quality and Media tab showing the correct paper selected, you can also choose to print in Black and White here, it will only use the black and two grey inks.
Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 12.24.04.png
I hope this helps...

Hi Phil, thanks for the pics, I may have to wait until Monday to try it now. I’m sure I can follow it though. I’ll let you know if I get a proper b&w print on Monday!

Hi Phil, I seem to have another hurdle. I’m back to colour and I’ve tried an a3 print on semi gloss, the original print I did on gloss at a4 came out ok, eventually, but the a3 version is much warmer, I seem to be back where I started. I had been printing without soft proofing, so I tried soft proof but as soon as I clicked the soft proof box it looked like I was looking at the print through some grey haze. I unticked a box called ‘simulate paper and ink’ and they greyness disappeared and the image was back as I wanted it, so I printed and it came out way too dark.. there seems to be 101 buttons and boxes on Lr and what I see on the screen is just not what is coming out on the print. Aargh! All this has been complicat3 by the fact that I get periodic ‘printer not connected’ messages.

I think wireless connections can be problematic.

I have a Canon Pro 1 and found that can be too warm. On asking a Canon rep, he said I should be calibrating my monitor to D50 and not D65. This considerably warms what you can see on screen so may work for you. You can then cool your image if that is what you want.

When I click simulate paper and ink, it appears no different to me, strangely! When you soft proof, you do need to change the paper you’re using accordingly. ( you mentioned semi gloss then gloss)

Hi, thanks for your reply. I actually couldn’t get it to work wirelessly, so it’s connected with a usb now. I’ve had a reasonably good print this morning. Perhaps I’ll re-calibrate my monitor. I have changed the paper from gloss to semi, I think the addition of the canon plug in may have confused things, possibly printing direct from Lr would be best. Can you recommend any semi gloss paper, I’m using canon at the moment.

There are others here with far more experience with different papers. I’ve used Canon’s semi gloss, Canon’s Pro Luster and Permajet’s Smooth Pearl - the latter is relatively cheap and not lightweight and I quite like the finish for everyday printing. I’ve started to try matt papers for black and whites and also like Permajet’s titanium lustre for some images, but as I say, there are many here who are more experienced.

Back