Help with ident please

User.81858

Suspended / Banned
Name
Charles
Edit My Images
Yes
Seen swimming with Mallards in the park. Not like the other females.ident.jpg

What a coincidence Charles, was looking at a duck very similar today that was swimming with a group of Mallards, a bloke stood close by said it was a female hybrid.

Thanks for reply Phil (y) I have been looking on a bird ident site and the Diamond shapes on the crop suggest female Widgeon :thinking:

Thanks for reply Phil (y) I have been looking on a bird ident site and the Diamond shapes on the crop suggest female Widgeon :thinking:

The bloke could well have been wrong Charles and tbh I wouldn't really know but if you can ID this, I'm sure the one I saw today could well be the same :)

definitely not a wigeon, mallard with maybe a bit of call duck ?

Hmmm if this was in London it might be a "corblimey luva duck " but then again it could be a high bred hybrid :naughty:

A no. 57..

Don't like Heinz:puke: but I like "Dolly mixtures" it could be one of them:p

Apricot mallard or call Charlie.

Ha ha I need the bill bro tis all about head angles this bird togging lark..helps with ID too lmao:D. It's one of the two bro and once again i'll stake my claim to is isn't a hybrid.... most domestic ducks bred by man come from a mallard,it's their progenitor...so a hybrid is sort of impossible as this isn't a result of crossing outside a species It's just probably got an influance of man in it . A call is a mallard,we have just been messing with them for a century or so.Bird looks like more mallard than call charlie by bill length but the dwarfing genes of a call are tricky to read in this image

Bloke was on the way Phil:D

Charlie there is a buff mutation in mallard,it's different to the apricot color pattern . The females of apricot carry that blue grey cast and eye stripe males have grey heads and white neck ring claret bib. But,the buff has a more solid head in females and males have chocolate heads no neck ring and also no claret bib. The dusky mutation is active in the buff colour. Essentially I guess in most ducks folks would say it's leucistic,but here that would be simplistic as there is more at play. Have a look at say a Saxony and a Buff Orpington domestic breeds. This will illustrate these colour patterns quite well for you mate . You may well find both patterns illustrated for calls too ,

stu

Thanks Stuart for that in depth post. I had never heard of call (y)

Sorry Mex didn't Know it was a serious reply, not knowing what a call was, I thought if I asked what is a call I would get Quack Quack. No smiley for RED FACE. .

Sorry mate duck nut lol. charlie we used to keep call ducks very seriously,they are wicked little guys you'll see them dumped on lakes etc:(,look for short broad bill short legsThey vary but really are dwarfs.........no good carrying six female Aylesbuires out on to the marsh. the poor old wildfowler back in the day would sink:D,the yamks call 'em decoys mate,that was what they were orininally bred for to "call" in wild ducks,naturally they are loud as hell too;) So small and noisy are what we bred them for wonderful little birds though Charlie proper little characters

stu

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw stuart You have turned this into a real good thread for me(y) I have learned a lot tonight :clap::clap::clap: I have just done a 40 mile round trip to pick my grand daughter up from work, but before I went I was googling domestic and call ducks. Very interesting reading. Thanks again. Cobra if you read this please give Stuart the name "Duck Dynasty":LOL:

Back