Help with image resize (wanting a canvas)

Name
Damen
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys

I want a canvas for my Mum for mothers day.

Ive seen a few conpanys that do them and they say "make sure the image resolution is high).

Now at the moment when i export from lightroom it just says w1000 h1000 pixels which is not able to be readjusted unless i tick the "resize to fit box" and then it states resolution at the side.

I have available to select-

Width & dimensions
Long edge
Short edge
Megapixels
Percentage

What is reccomended for a canvas print? Its going to be 20x20

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Basically, you need to tick 'Resize to fit'. Otherwise, Lightroom is using some default parameters which it gets from ...actually I don't know where it gets them from. It seems highly unlikely that it's getting that 1000x1000 setting from the image itself, but I have no idea where else it gets settings from.

Some people will say you need 300 pixels per inch for printing, but canvas isn't capable of handling that much resolution. I reckon 200 pixels per inch would be fine. So 200 pixels per inch times 20 inches equals 4000 pixels in each dimension.

How big is the original image? Images straight out of your Nikon D3300 should be 24 megapixels, which is 6000 x 4000 pixels. That's convenient because if you just crop it to a square format you'll have 4000 pixels on each side which should be fine.

Basically, you need to tick 'Resize to fit'. Otherwise, Lightroom is using some default parameters which it gets from ...actually I don't know where it gets them from. It seems highly unlikely that it's getting that 1000x1000 setting from the image itself, but I have no idea where else it gets settings from.

Some people will say you need 300 pixels per inch for printing, but canvas isn't capable of handling that much resolution. I reckon 200 pixels per inch would be fine. So 200 pixels per inch times 20 inches equals 4000 pixels in each dimension.

How big is the original image? Images straight out of your Nikon D3300 should be 24 megapixels, which is 6000 x 4000 pixels. That's convenient because if you just crop it to a square format you'll have 4000 pixels on each side which should be fine.

Arrr brilliant, ill have to get the orignal raw file up, will it tell me when i go to export? Or is there another way of finding out? what shall i do leave the setting at width and higeght at 1000x1000 and just change the resolution to 200?

My advice would be to get the raw image up in Lightroom and adjust to your preference as well as do the square crop. If what Stewart said makes sense, just go into Export.

Under image settings set to jpeg (unless they can use TIFFs) and make sure you are using the colour space they recommend. Quality to max.
Under image sizing, untick the "resize to fit" box and set the resolution to 200dpi
Export

Brilliant will do, the image i have is already cropped abd edited so will just save it and alter the res

what about the overall size ? are you including the wrap around the edges as some companies when you send them the image they will print it as say as in yours 20x20 and have a white edge all round.
Some use part of the image as a wrap around.
the wrap around adds to the canvas it a question you need to look at

what about the overall size ? are you including the wrap around the edges as some companies when you send them the image they will print it as say as in yours 20x20 and have a white edge all round.
Some use part of the image as a wrap around.
the wrap around adds to the canvas it a question you need to look at

Thanks for the heads up thats one ill ask

Hi Damen.

I admit I don't know much about Lightroom. That said can you not just import your raw file from the camera do your edits and crop as you wish the canvas to be and then just save the image as a jpeg. Without messing with any resizing ? As long as it is square it should be ok.
If you create an account on Trade Canvas website "free" they advertise on the forum, you can upload the image and see in 3d how it will look along with all the edge types on offer. I don't know or work for them but have had quite a few of there canvases, and have never been disappointed.
I always email them too to ask if the image is ok for what I'm after.

Have fun !

Gaz

Aa Cargo says above, I had a couple of canvasses from Trade Canvas Prints. Once registered you can upload your files and see a 3D impression of how it will look with different edge treatments - wrap, solid, mirrored, blur, etc.

Very pleased with the canvasses. As I'm pretty local to Tenby, I collected them in person and got a quick tour of the facilities by Ben and some free paper samples. If you are using TCP don't forget to use the TP10 discount code for 10% off.

Arre thanks guys ill take a look, id presume that editing and saving as jpeg from a raw file shouldnhave enough reslution in anyway but i always see people say save at 72 for internet, save at 300 min for printing and so on :)

always see people say save at 72 for internet, save at 300 min for printing and so on :)
Yes this confuses things for me. To much jargon I don't understand and as experiance as tought me I have no need to know. The only time I resize via pixels is for Flickr and display on forums plus my camera club comps. When I have things printed I never touch the resize/resolution.

Gaz

If you use DSCL for your prints once you have uploaded the image and specified the size and finish, you can then go to "edit" and their system will tell you whether the file you have uploaded is good enough (eg resolution) for the print you've asked for. Probably other companies offer the same thing.

72 dpi is adequate for the internet whereas you need a better qualiity file for print. 300 dpi is often suggested for top quality prnting but you see 240 dpi being described as good. It depends on the print size of course.

If you use DSCL for your prints once you have uploaded the image and specified the size and finish, you can then go to "edit" and their system will tell you whether the file you have uploaded is good enough (eg resolution) for the print you've asked for. Probably other companies offer the same thing.

72 dpi is adequate for the internet whereas you need a better qualiity file for print. 300 dpi is often suggested for top quality prnting but you see 240 dpi being described as good. It depends on the print size of course.

dpi has no real relevance to internet. Using 1dpi, 72dpi or 300dpi to present a digital image is all the same.

Would you care to elaborate? I'd like to know if I was wrong.
Sure, I'll try.

Firstly the thing about 72 PPI for the Internet and on-screen view. Web browsers and other software ignore the PPI setting in the image file's EXIF data; they just display whatever pixels there are. It doesn't matter whether the EXIF says 72 PPI, 300 PPI, 10000 PPI or whatever: the software will display it the same size. The only thing that matters is how many pixels there are. Plus, since the 1990s most mainstream computer monitors have tended to display about 100 PPI, so you can't even use the 72 figure to estimate how big the image will be physically.

Then the thing about 300 PPI for printing. It's true that the limit of human visual acuity approximates to 300 PPI for somebody with 20/20 vision. So if you want the ultimate in print quality you should aim for 300 PPI. But there are a lot of caveats to that, including:
* If your image doesn't have enough pixels to print at 300 PPI at your desired size, enlarging it won't help.
* If your image isn't sharp at the pixel level, you need to shrink it until it is sharp at the pixel level.
* If you're printing on canvas, the material probably isn't sufficiently fine grained to accept 300 PPI.
* Whatever you're printing on, your printer might not be able to deliver 300 PPI. (Some run at 250 PPI, for example.)
* You can only see 300 PPI when you look at something really close-up. Hold it arms' length and you might only be able to distinguish 200 PPI. Put the photo on the wall and you might only be able to see 100 PPI.

That last point can be critically important. If you're printing something to display on the wall, you don't need 300 PPI unless you plan to look at it really close up. For example if you had an image that's printed very big at 90 x 60 cm, you're probably not going to be able to appreciate the whole image unless you're a metre or more back from it, and at that range you're almost certainly not going to be able to discriminate more than 100 PPI.

Last edited:
ok guys I've done that on the dscl site, ready to order, just before I do, in the picture background when I zoom in, there is Noise, will this show on the canvas?? if so how do I reduce it without reducing the quality of edit from the main point in the picture

Last edited:
If you can only see the noise zoomed in, it really doesn't matter, particularly on a canvas.

Sure, I'll try.

Firstly the thing about 72 PPI for the Internet and on-screen view. Web browsers and other software ignore the PPI setting in the image file's EXIF data; they just display whatever pixels there are. It doesn't matter whether the EXIF says 72 PPI, 300 PPI, 10000 PPI or whatever: the software will display it the same size. The only thing that matters is how many pixels there are. Plus, since the 1990s most mainstream computer monitors have tended to display about 100 PPI, so you can't even use the 72 figure to estimate how big the image will be physically.

Then the thing about 300 PPI for printing. It's true that the limit of human visual acuity approximates to 300 PPI for somebody with 20/20 vision. So if you want the ultimate in print quality you should aim for 300 PPI. But there are a lot of caveats to that, including:
* If your image doesn't have enough pixels to print at 300 PPI at your desired size, enlarging it won't help.
* If your image isn't sharp at the pixel level, you need to shrink it until it is sharp at the pixel level.
* If you're printing on canvas, the material probably isn't sufficiently fine grained to accept 300 PPI.
* Whatever you're printing on, your printer might not be able to deliver 300 PPI. (Some run at 250 PPI, for example.)
* You can only see 300 PPI when you look at something really close-up. Hold it arms' length and you might only be able to distinguish 200 PPI. Put the photo on the wall and you might only be able to see 100 PPI.

That last point can be critically important. If you're printing something to display on the wall, you don't need 300 PPI unless you plan to look at it really close up. For example if you had an image that's printed very big at 90 x 60 cm, you're probably not going to be able to appreciate the whole image unless you're a metre or more back from it, and at that range you're almost certainly not going to be able to discriminate more than 100 PPI.

There are obviously some aspects of digital that my poor brain can't or won't understand. I suspect I'm not the only one though, so is it true to say that if you save at 300 ppi the printer will convert it to whatever ppi it prints at?

If so 300 ppi is a ball-park figure that everyone can quite safely aim at for printing. But if you're trying to print bigger than the file will allow at 300 ppi a lower figure will usually be OK.

I must admit i'm at a loss when it comes to saving for web use. I was taught to use 72 ppi many moons ago as the larger the file the longer it takes to down/up - load. Surely that is still the case?

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick.

Ppi is irrelevant on screen - it's just the no of pixels each way that counts. A pixel is a pixel!

Another aspect of saving for web is the amount of compression applied.

Last edited:
I think I have been on this forum too long ! As I thought this thread would pan out like this :)

Gaz

Last edited:
Back