1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Don't forget to change the clocks on your camera equipment!

Dismiss Notice
  3. It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of a long-standing member, Just Dave.

Dave Barker was a member of Talk Photography for nearly 10 years, and was a prominent member for most of those.
    A very warm, friendly and enthusiastic member, he spent the largest portion of his time on TP welcoming and helping others.

I'm sure all visitors to this site will join us in thanking Dave for his unwavering support and being a large part of our community.
    Our thoughts are with his family and friends at such a difficult time.

Click here to join in the discussion

Dismiss Notice
  1. Anthony78

Anthony78

Name:
    Anthony
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Good evening folks

Im new here and have been into photography for the past few years. Me and my wife recently bought canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro usm lens to go on our 760D. We are new to macro photography and its something we are both interested in, im not sure if we are doing something wrong. I like taking pics of miniature items while my wife likes taking pics of flowers and wild life, when we use the lens on AF we can only get so far into the subject, which isn't far enough. When we turn to MF its just blury all the time no matter what we try. Are we doing something wrong ?

Thanks for reading :)

2. Kodiak Qc

Kodiak Qc

Name:
    French Canadian living in Europe since 1989!
    Edit My Images:
    Yes

Have a look on the left side of the lens,
    maybe yours has a limiter… like ∞ to 1 m.
    Just set the AF limiter to a proper position.

3. Anthony78

Anthony78

Name:
    Anthony
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Hi , yes it has 0.31m and 0.48m but we have tried both we no success !

4. Kodiak Qc

Kodiak Qc

Name:
    French Canadian living in Europe since 1989!
    Edit My Images:
    Yes

Sorry Anthony, I'm a Nikon man
    so much more I can't do!

Anthony78 likes this.
  5. Anthony78

Anthony78

Name:
    Anthony
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    not a problem and thanks for the help :)

6. Andy Johnson

Andy Johnson

Name:
    Andrew
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Hi Anthony, i also have this great lense. In MF If you turn the ring as far clock wise as possible and rock back and forth until in focus that's as close as you will get without adding extensions. You probably know this anyway. If you can't focus it at all in MF it may be faulty.

7. GardenersHelper

GardenersHelper

Name:
    Nick
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    And that is about 6 inches from the subject to the front of the lens.

8. alfbranch

alfbranch

Name:
    Alf
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    You need to learn how close you can focus on an object

Set the camera on a tripod indoors and see if you can focus maully on a subject like a flower or coin and try some shots preferbly using a cable realeae

Are you sure they are out of focus not suffering motion blur as the increased magnification will increase motion blur

Have you read this https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/we-need-you-in-draft-want-to-get-into-macro.551944/

Macro is not easy at all however you do it.

Here is a shot of my lens and camera and the car infront of the camera is at the minimum focus distance of just over 0.3m but remember that distance is from the sensor. mine is an old lens at extends as I focus closer many do not. I do not use a tripod for macro usually.

[​IMG]EM1 sigma 105 Mk11 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  9. davholla

davholla

Name:
    David
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Definitely something you need to check, do you know what shutter speed you are using?

Andy Johnson what aperture and shutter speed you use, as you use this lens.

10. Andy Johnson

Andy Johnson

Name:
    Andrew
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    F8-10 and 1/160/200/250 I nearly always use flash, not clever enough for natural light..:)