Help with paper - type and supplier

Edit My Images
Yes
OK I'm an idiot about these things - so here's the situation.

I'm a member of a small Church and from time to time we need to print Certificates . We have a pdf of what's needed. it's coloured [ do not ask the colour profile I've not a clue about such things ] and I've been printing when necessary - HP Envy 5640 PSC

I was given a pack of Hahnemuhle Sample papers and printed out a few cert. using the white PhotoRag - the text on the reverse of the sheet said Photo Rag Book and Album 220gsm . This did give us what we wanted BUT my little stock has now run out :(

I need advice as to where I can get this - so far my Google Fu has not been successful - this particular one has not come up but heavier papers have and I don't know if they will suit my printer.

I don't need a huge quantity of paper - if I can have about 30 printed that would probably last the best part of a year.

I will be bearing the cost of the paper - we have next to no money and are funded by our members - mainly Uni Students !!

Please please can someone help with a source of suitable papers for me - I can email the pdf cert if necessary . [ Actually there are 2 different Certificates needed - they are very very similar ]

Annoying when loved papers stop getting produced...

In terms of a 220gsm matt paper, my favourite was Canson Rag Photographique Duo which blew all the other papers out of the water for colour accuracy. It's also quite lightweight and the same as your previous paper. £35 for a box of 25 on Amazon.

In terms of cost, my experience so far is that the cheapest, yet good quality is Marrutt's Archival Matt. It has zero texture though and is super smooth. My test prints with it showed that it dealt with shadow detail & colour really well. It also takes Photo Blacks from your printer rather than matt blacks. They've got a deal on (50 for the price of 25) at the moment on single sided (£8.95 for 50 ex vat). Double sided is excluded but is still quite cheap (£10.50/25 ex vat). I talk about it a bit on my website (non-affiliated link)

If it's a certificate with text and little in the way of imagery and cost is an issue, I'd definitely suggest the Archival Matt. If cost is less of an issue and you want a bit more of a premium feel, I'd go Fotospeed Platinum Etching, but that's heavier weight (280gsm). If money's no object, I'd try the Canson paper in my first line.

Many of the paper manufacturers do test packs which you can try if you like.

The top third of the certificate is graphic art the rest is text.

I've ordered a pack of Pinnacle Antique Fine Art 210gsm - Sizes:A4 25 sheets and also a Fine Art sample pack from PaperSpectrum so I'll print some off and see what the result is like.

After that I'll try using some of the samples and see what works well and possibly try a few other sources for some sample sheets. As I say I'll not need a lot. We do want a textured paper if at all possible .

I'm a bit of a skinflint as regards my own normal printing of documents - Tesco Value 75gsm does most stuff for me , for decent stuff I'll use 90 and will on occasion use better/heavier paper

Thanks for all the recommendations :)

You can get blocks of A4 canvas textured paper at art shops and probably other textures too. I have a feeling that I've seen some at the Range.

Now I've got the first badly needed Certificates printed off and handed over [ they were well received :D did look good ] I can now start experimenting with the samples I've got of various papers. I do remember putting a heavier Hahnemuhle paper through [ can't remember the weight ] but the printer really struggled with it - clearly the printer wasn't happy with that particular weight and we will draw a veil over the result.

Once I've tried a few others we will decide what will be used for all certificate printing for the future and then get a small stock in - we really don't need a large number

Back