Beginner help with snow scene

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
Im trying to set up a snow scene but at them moment it looks very boring ( i haven't lit the bg either)

Anybody have any tips any advice to make this scene better (yes its Christmas cheese but i like cheese) i think having the bird in front of the sledge and maybe a tree with lights where the bird is may improve it

Snow Test by Alan Cook, on Flickr

Last edited:
Yay I'm liking this already. You onto a nice image hear for sure so keep playing.For me this needs some bokeh/warmth lights as an element for sure.
Is the snow post work ?

Gaz

For me i think if she had the proper cold clothing & nice & coloured it would look better for me anyway,nice shot though.:):clap:

The @cargo. Yes the snow was added in post. I've never used PS however I found a free action on Gavin Hoeys site which works quite well
Yer he's a clever chap Gavin. As a great way of telling a story too.

Gaz

Looks like a good snow effect to me.

I'm asking myself how this would look if you had actually taken it outdoors in the snow. Snow tends to mute the colours of the background but it wouldn't desaturate the reds & blues in quite the way you've done it here.

The light on a cloudy, snowy day tends to be much flatter with a lot of reflected light from below. Still directional, but flatter, with few shadows.

I'd try pointing a softbox at the ceiling to bounce the light, and covering as much of the floor as possible with a white sheet (which won't be in shot). I'd expect to use a big white reflector too.

That may be just a little bit too flat to make an interesting portrait. You could add a smaller key light at fairly low power relative to the bounced light. I'd probably have both lights in about the same position.

Having just said all that.. it could still end up too flat :thinking:.

Here's a random idea.. you could try replicating a night scene. Include a lantern in shot & light the subject as if all the light came from the lantern - try a gelled standard gridded reflector more or less in line with the lantern? Your tree with lights idea would work better then, too.

Back