Help with wireless doo da

Name
You can call me Sir.
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I'm rubbsih with computers and I'm hoping someone can help me. I've got a PC and a laptop, both connected to the wireless router modem doo da thingy but I can't get the two to talk to each other which I wuold like to do so I can fileshare between the two. I've tried the windows help thing and it was no help so I'm hoping someone might be able to walk me through it.

Cheers
Kev

Hi all,

I'm rubbsih with computers and I'm hoping someone can help me. I've got a PC and a laptop, both connected to the wireless router modem doo da thingy but I can't get the two to talk to each other which I wuold like to do so I can fileshare between the two. I've tried the windows help thing and it was no help so I'm hoping someone might be able to walk me through it.

Cheers
Kev
I'm assuming they're both on WinXP?

Its likely that you've got each one on a different workgroup; i.e. one set to WORKGROUP, one set to MSHOME.

Right-click "My Computer", then go to "Properties", "Computer Name"

Set your computer name to anything you want, then click the "Change" button. You can set the Workgroup to anything you want, but make sure that all PCs on your network have the same Workgroup.

When you're done, reboot all PCs. Go to "My Network Places" and everything should show up in there.

If they only connect to the router atmo, you'll need to set up wireless networking so that they can talk to each other. Try using the wizard in My Network Places (Set up a home or small office network)

I tried the network wizard but it wouldn't work for some reason.

I assume your router is switched on. Has your wireless adapter established a connection to it?

I have 2 wireless and one wired in my network.. they can all see mine but I cant see anyones!! Ive run the network setup time and again on all 3 computeres. It doesnt always work out, so alter some settings and keep trying!

Mine used to be setup perfectly but not now.... as long as the kids can share my printer downstairs is all Im bothered about really, and that works. (y)

If there is nothing shared on the computer then it won't show as there is nothing you can use if you did see it.

Share a printer or share a folder first. It may take windows 15 mins to refresh its network view if you don't see it immediately.

Back