Herbig Haro 555 in the Pelican nebula

Name
Sara
Edit My Images
Yes
IC5070 (the Pelican nebula) is located in the constellation of Cygnus at approximately 1800 light years from Earth. You can see on the right of the image a large pillar of gas and at the tip of this is a Herbig-Haro object.

Herbig-Haro 555 is a narrow jet of gas and matter, ejected by newly born stars at speeds of several hundred kilometres per second. It collides with nearby gas and dust in the interstellar medium, producing bright shock fronts that glow as the gas is heated by friction while the surrounding gas is excited by the high-energy radiation of nearby hot stars.

This is a combination of 60x30 minute exposures, so totalling 30 hours of total exposure. It is a bi colour image, using Ha and OIII narrowband filters.

Pelican nebula (IC5070) in bi colour by Sara Wager, on Flickr

Fascinating

Stunning,fascinating,interesting,awesome!Just a few words that spring to mind,very impressive.

You always astound me with these images and I am always interested in what you have to say about them :)

I feel this big!!!

Another fabulous and inspirational image, thanks for sharing. If the clouds ever lift here I'll start learning how to polar align my shinny new heq5 mount :)

Excellent, very nice to see, thanks for sharing (y)

Not your first APOD, Sara - and almost certainly not your last!

Back