Wild Heron landing

Now Mark, these are some dramatic light conditions and quality!
Very proper rendition too!

Last edited:
Colour pallet and the angle of the long grass as the bird is hanging in there make this shot a photographer's bird shot for me ...just my opinion that is ,if I had to nit pick I would just clone that dark tip of the grass under the left wing

Colour pallet and the angle of the long grass as the bird is hanging in there make this shot a photographer's bird shot for me ...just my opinion that is ,if I had to nit pick I would just clone that dark tip of the grass under the left wing

never noticed it Den but may do so later..cheers..

…if I had to nit pick I would just clone that dark tip of the grass under the left wing

I like to think that it helps integrate the bird in the scene!

If only it was front facing. Hey ho:(

Yip, it would have been better but need to take what i could get as it was flushed by a dog in the long grass whilst i was ut photographing the SEO.

Yup, sometime you gotta use what's there. As we say up here (and I'll say this in a nicer sort of way;)), you can only urinate with the appendage you've got:D

Compositionally and ascthetically it would be better if the subject was facing front. As agreed by the op.

Compositionally and ascthetically
Compositionally, it would make no difference since bird would still be in the frame.
Aesthetically, I don't believe that…
• less details is better than more
• less colour is better than more etc.
With all the time spent at shooting wildlife, I have developed an appreciation
of my own on the subject and discovered that feathers are, to my taste, better
seen this way.

Other opinions may differ but in my book, this is (as noted):
— "a photographer's bird shot!"

Reactions: den
Compositionally, it would make no difference since bird would still be in the frame.
Aesthetically, I don't believe that…
• less details is better than more
• less colour is better than more etc.
With all the time spent at shooting wildlife, I have developed an appreciation
of my own on the subject and discovered that feathers are, to my taste, better
seen this way.

Other opinions may differ but in my book, this is (as noted):
— "a photographer's bird shot!"

Having seen some of your efforts at wildlife photography I'm of the opinion you don't really know what makes a good wildlife shot. If you do, then you don't seem to put it into practise. You are entitled to your opinion of course, as I am mine. Yeh, it's subjective and seeing as how you are the apparent self appointed expert in everything, who am I to argue.:rolleyes:

../

Reactions: den
That is one "Very Nice" shot Mark, the general composition is good it's just a shame the bird is not front facing. But other than that very nice.(y)

George.

Having seen some of your efforts at wildlife photography I'm of the opinion you don't really know what makes a good wildlife shot. If you do, then you don't seem to put it into practise. You are entitled to your opinion of course, as I am mine. Yeh, it's subjective and seeing as how you are the apparent self appointed expert in everything, who am I to argue.:rolleyes:
Brian we all have our views on the images as you have yourself that I do not contest , but do you not think in recent light of the recent issues we have had in the bird section recently do you not think your reply to Daniels comment was called for ,I just think it is very disrespectful to knock his work as I don't believe anywhere in his replies he deserved it ,just my opinion and I am sure if this was the other way round you wouldn't like it just like I wouldn't ,a genuine question Brian ,what do you think (y)

Folks, thanks for the replys. Looks like another thread posted in good faith going down hill a bit. I'm sure we all have opinions on what is good about the image and what could have made it better but as its over in a second or two you get pretty much what you get. I often photograph birds from the back when close as you can see the feather layers much better on most birds like that. This was a bit different which some think works and others may not but hey its people's own opinions and I'm free to take or leave those. Thanks for the comments.

Not wishing to derail Marks thread anymore. I stand by my comments. I'm sure if Kodak is that concerned he'll PM me to discuss the matter or Report me.

Apologies Mark.

This is definitely ../ from me. (I learned that from Kodak).

Back