Herring Gull - I think - D750

Edit My Images
No
Herring Gull - Juvenile 2nd winter I think ... but I am useless with Gull IDs

Just started taking bird shots with the D750 - this was a quickie - but I don't reckon it's too bad .... background is pleasant and typical of the day ....grey feather detailed "rendering" on back looks very soft however ...... maybe that's how it naturally is .........

Dull old day but the D750 certainly picks out the light! ........ Nikon 300mm f4 at f4 and ISO400 ... cropped

what it has indicated to me in the few shots that I have taken in low light BIF situations is that the D750 performs (much) better than the D7100 ....... I do not know the technicalities etc., and I did not think that there were major improvements, but the D750 locked on focus much faster and higher shutters speeds could be used versus the D7100 .. the D750 seems to capture more light if that is possible

H_Gull.jpg

Last edited:
Herring Gull - Juvenile 2nd winter I think ... but I am useless with Gull IDs

.. the D750 seems to capture more light if that is possible

H_Gull.jpg

Should'nt the D750 capture more light as it's a bigger sensor???....... Also, it has the newer processor for AF so I think it would be better.

Going to order my replacement this week, but when I had my earlier one it would focus and lock in near darkness, amazing really.

Should'nt the D750 capture more light as it's a bigger sensor???....... Also, it has the newer processor for AF so I think it would be better.

Going to order my replacement this week, but when I had my earlier one it would focus and lock in near darkness, amazing really.

Yep Simon, so far the D750 has really impressed my ...... but it's new and it should ......... I should not say this, (as you have sold yours!) but, I was thinking of getting the new Nikon 300mm f4 VR PF lens to replace the current Nikon f4 AFS lens that I use a lot but unless the light is good and I can use a high shutter speed I fail quite a lot with sharpness through camera shake ....... what the D750 brings is better quality higher ISO images that are allowing me to bump the shutter speed up significantly versus the D7100 ...... so I reckon that I can stick with the 300mm f4 (plus it is a lens that I really like)

Yep Simon, so far the D750 has really impressed my ...... but it's new and it should ......... I should not say this, (as you have sold yours!) but, I was thinking of getting the new Nikon 300mm f4 VR PF lens to replace the current Nikon f4 AFS lens that I use a lot but unless the light is good and I can use a high shutter speed I fail quite a lot with sharpness through camera shake ....... what the D750 brings is better quality higher ISO images that are allowing me to bump the shutter speed up significantly versus the D7100 ...... so I reckon that I can stick with the 300mm f4 (plus it is a lens that I really like)

To be honest Bill the 300mm was too heavy for me and I couldn't handhold, although a fantastic lens. I have been up the hospital this week and need to have an op to move the nerves from my elbow to the forearm. I thought the numbness to arm and hand was from ops to shoulder to shave the arthritis where I had nerve blocks and they damaged the nerves to arm. This seems to be a seperate issue.

Anyway, I have a plan. When I get the chance to try one I will go for the Tamron or Sigma 150-600mm for home use on tripod, we are having Kites, Perigrines and Buzzards over our house, so a longer lens will help. I will then also get the Tamron 70-300mm VC for knocking about, I have had 2 of these in the past and I prefered it to the Nikon version I have also owned.

I would also like to get into a little seascapes and landscapes, we have the Gower on our doorstep and we never go down there. So plan to buy a few primes and a wide angle for this.

Good luck Simon ...... I hope it all works well, illness is a bugger ...... the Gower is a beautiful place

Last edited:

Interested in your old F4 if the price is right Bill ;)

Interested in your old F4 if the price is right Bill ;)

Thanks Rich, it is probably my "most used" lens but with the D750's better ISO performance I reckon that it has solved my need for a higher shutter speed situation as a walk around .... as i indicated above

but there should be plenty around and it is a stellar, (IMHO) lens .. you should be able to pick one up at a reasonable price ....... it really has served me well and all the comments and reports I have read confirm this.

Performance wise, the D750 seems to justify all the good reviews that are being written

Last edited:
Back