Hertsmans 2018 52....Rural/Bright/Elegant/Derelict added

2 nice shots, I think I prefer the first image though for its symmetry....you weren't in the water were you?:LOL:

#2 for me ... showing a lockgate and a half, perhaps you should have zoomed in on them. I like detail, the weeds growing in the wood.

I prefer the second shot apart from the finger and I feel the bright bits are slightly over exposed (Silver Birch Trees)

I was thinking of lock gates as well, but the weather is so grey at the moment.

Pete

Gate
Both work well for the theme, if I had to choose, I'd go for #1, just because of the symmetry.

Gate(d) - Both fit the theme, but the first image for me cleaner composition and it doesn't have your finger in it :D .
Thanks Mandy, not done that for years !

Like both shots here.
Out of interest, where are they taken?
I've been there, but can't place my finger on where it is!

Near Marsworth in Herts....

Lock gates, good choice of subject, people never manage to position themselves properly on these things though, do they :) I still prefer the front-on view in the first.
They certainly dont Chris !

2 nice shots, I think I prefer the first image though for its symmetry....you weren't in the water were you?:LOL:
Nope, theres a lucky bend that give this perspective....

#2 for me ... showing a lockgate and a half, perhaps you should have zoomed in on them. I like detail, the weeds growing in the wood.

Cheers D

I prefer the second shot apart from the finger and I feel the bright bits are slightly over exposed (Silver Birch Trees)

I was thinking of lock gates as well, but the weather is so grey at the moment.

Pete
Weather is deffo a bit pants,,,,
Gate
Both work well for the theme, if I had to choose, I'd go for #1, just because of the symmetry.
Thanks Dom, its my preference too.

For thos that say they look over, the hstogram in LR is perfect, howver, I did edit them with bright sunlight on my screen, whcih I gues is the cause.....

Last edited:
Good idea for the theme and lock gates are always interesting, I think. I do like the straight-on view for the symmetry but I agree with most people that #2 is the better angle and shows much more detail. Not sure about the finger sneaking into the bottom though :LOL: and it would have been nice to see the whole arm of the gate, but I imagine that it would have required a much wider view to fit it all in? It still works very well though (y)

Difficult to choose but I think number 2 for me, both great images.

Good idea for the theme and lock gates are always interesting, I think. I do like the straight-on view for the symmetry but I agree with most people that #2 is the better angle and shows much more detail. Not sure about the finger sneaking into the bottom though :LOL: and it would have been nice to see the whole arm of the gate, but I imagine that it would have required a much wider view to fit it all in? It still works very well though (y)
Thanks Andrea, but 16mm is as wide as Ive got and I was conscious of not stepping backwards and falling downt he steps into the FREEZING canal.....

Difficult to choose but I think number 2 for me, both great images.
Me as well, Liz, thanks

Well, a fair bit of work has evidently gone into creating the props for this image.
I like the colour effects you've obtained and captured, with all those reflections and reflective surfaces it would have been so easy to blow a lot if it out.

I have no idea what to say about that, someone’s been watching Blue Peter, astounding work :wacky:
oh and to split hairs they are definitely not people

Nice fun photo, well put together and well done for controlling the lights and reflections

Like that a lot Mark you've put a lot of effort into that like the lighting and reflections.

And they are definitely people

Great effort and it pays off, well controlled light! But what happened to the left hand of one of the twins in the blue shirts?

I'm not a fan of these lego people photos, but you have put some work in on creating it, so well done.
Feel sorry for the armless twin.

Pete

Week 0 - Prefer the landscape - the OOF trees have made interesting patterns.
Week 1 - The second gate for me (with a crop to remove the finger - dratted wide angle lenses) The sun and greenery make it look as if it could have been warm.
Week 2 - ingenious - well exposed

Shiny Happy People ... I know that song, and like your handiwork more because of that. :)

...god ... the lengths people go to, I hope the children weren't watching.

Well, a fair bit of work has evidently gone into creating the props for this image.
I like the colour effects you've obtained and captured, with all those reflections and reflective surfaces it would have been so easy to blow a lot if it out.

Thanks Tim

I have no idea what to say about that, someone’s been watching Blue Peter, astounding work :wacky:
oh and to split hairs they are definitely not people

Im not sure of thats tongue firmly in cheek or not Allan, however - they may not be people, but the shot is representing a song title called "shiny happy people", so it kinda fits... ;)

Nice fun photo, well put together and well done for controlling the lights and reflections

Thanks Chris

Like that a lot Mark you've put a lot of effort into that like the lighting and reflections.

And they are definitely people
Cheers Mark

Great effort and it pays off, well controlled light! But what happened to the left hand of one of the twins in the blue shirts?

Doh! cheap props alway let you dwon dont they ?

I'm not a fan of these lego people photos, but you have put some work in on creating it, so well done.
Feel sorry for the armless twin.

Pete

Thanks Pete, Lego stuff isnt for everyone, but I sometimes use it to fulfill a brief on the 52, sorry !

Week 0 - Prefer the landscape - the OOF trees have made interesting patterns.
Week 1 - The second gate for me (with a crop to remove the finger - dratted wide angle lenses) The sun and greenery make it look as if it could have been warm.
Week 2 - ingenious - well exposed

Cheers

Hi Mark, well done to you with creating that prop ... love the way you’ve captured the bright lights and the colourful reflections, lots of imagination there :clap:

Thanks Susie, id run out of ideas until this came up..., quietly pleased with it tbh

Excellent, I really like this.

Thank yoy

I love the work you've put into this and especially the colourful lights and reflections! A fun image, well put together (y)
Thanks Andrea, Im happy with how it came out

Shiny Happy People ... I know that song, and like your handiwork more because of that. :)

...god ... the lengths people go to, I hope the children weren't watching.

Hahah, lol....my wife said it was like a child at play lol

Really liking people and think your composition is spot on.

Cheers

I like the colours and lighting good set up

Thank you !

Hi Mark, that is a good effort for people but one is missing an arm and one a hand but I do quite like it so well done :)

Dave, only one hand missing, the other arms are out of sight......

No Lego figure were harmed during this shoot....

Bah humbug, this winter is rubbish...The only day I get free this weekend and its snowing and windy and very cold.....
Had a few ideas for this one, but the weather meant I had to think on my feet.
Its not an obvious one, but Im quite happy with it....

Stark

Stark (1 of 1) by Mark P, on Flickr

And a great book it is too - nice work

Good shot. I like the grain on this, and aren't you glad all your books are not the Kindle versions.

Great shot, and not even a shoehorn, is it? I like the grain and muted grey tones.

A man of culture and plywood. Processing works a treat.

Spotted it straight off so works well for me good thinking for the theme and the processing works for me too

Love the people theme, cracking colours in it and a bit of ingenuity to boot. Well done with the stark image as well, had me looking for the relationship between your image and the theme, eventually spotted it :)

People - I can see plenty of effort went into setting up for this image, it's a good fun take on the theme as the others have said well done for controlling the light and reflections.

Stark - I had to do a double take on this image as I couldn't initially see the connection to the theme, the gritty feel to the image works well for this image.

Ben Elton's Star Ark was one something I had considered for this theme, but I don't think my bookshelf is anywhere as tidy as yours.
I'm not sure on the B&W processing, I think I would prefer to see the colours of the books.
However, that is just personal preference and I think you've pulled off a good image for the theme.

Hi Mark, Great minds think alike with the lego people :D I like this, tricky to do with all the reflections. It works for me :D. Stark - first saw the Ben Elton name and as I was thinking "I'm sure he wrote something about Stark" it jumped out at me. I like the pp, I think the effect works well. Did you consider cropping it to just the shelf with the relevant books?

Back