weekly Hertsmans 52 for 2017 Rustic,Festive, weather added-and DONE !

Excellently done as the first try and you more or less nailed it. Nice colour too.

I've tried this kind of thing a couple of times in the past so I know how hard it is and you have done a good job of it.

Never tried this and IMHO you have done a great shot, like the colours and composition.

Thanks guys.

Great light painting, I wonder if you could have opened the aperture a bit wider to get a hint of the painter into the picture.
That would have taken away from idea of the word "dark" being the central point in all the darkness was my intention...

Not easy is it :)

The clock PPing is a little harsh, but always good to try something different, it's what a 52 is all about (y)

Cheers.

Nope its not, and yes, my Clone skills are atrocious and always have been sadly...
Well done on the light painting Mark. (y)

Just seen @brrnd 's comment about getting a hint of the painter into the picture ... yes it has been done.

That's a very good first effort at light painting, well done.

Thanks

[

Do you see what I mean though, there is somehow mor vibrance to the colours in the first image.

Yes Tim, I do. I think Ive cocked up generally, having looked though lr, I think I did the cloning to the base image and not the PP'd version....doh....

Ooh, light painting, well done you. Good, original take on the theme (y)

Cheers Jill

Definitely the first one for me Mark, I love the colours in it, what an excellent idea for the theme. I think you maybe needed to use a finer brush size for your cloning to keep it neat, but as you say it's all a learning curve and great that you had a go at it.

Thanks Susie, Im pretty rubbish about finessing stuff like that for some reason - Ive never been able to remove something without it looking an eyesore sadly.

Overall,the first image I was happy with until a couple of errors were pointed out. I think Id like to re visit the idea some time, but my assistant has a low boredom threshhold sadly.....

Loving your first Power image there Mark. It has an abstract, almost science fiction feel to it, though still immediately obvious what it is. I also prefer the blues you've captured in the first shot to the sky in the second.

+1 for #1 .... clean & simple ... dull grey metal against a blueish sky and those wonderful glass (?) bits. (y)

I agree first one also nice lines second one a little to busy as mentioned above somewhere

Power, #1 for me too Mark as a nice sky really helps set it off well. A lot of power going through that (y)

Very apt for the Power theme, Mark. Agree that the first is better, a simpler and a clean image. The second is just too 'busy'.

Loving your first Power image there Mark. It has an abstract, almost science fiction feel to it, though still immediately obvious what it is. I also prefer the blues you've captured in the first shot to the sky in the second.

Lovely pair, i prefer the first one, for the angles, the content and the silhouette of the pylon. nicely done.

Yep another here preferring the first one, it's the clear thingies that do it for me as they lift the image nicely, having three of them also helps, as does the two main ones converging... cool :)

Agree with the others, it's the first one for me. Like @Dark Knight said "it's the clear thingies" that make it for me.

+1 for #1, very nice geometry.

First for me too, good exposure against the sky

Definitely the first one Mark, I love it ...it's a great angle and all those shiny coil thingies are very eye catching, your focus is spot on too, it still looks excellent zoomed in :clap:

First one for me too, less busy than number two. Nice and clean and clear.

+1 for #1 .... clean & simple ... dull grey metal against a blueish sky and those wonderful glass (?) bits. (y)

Love the angles of the first - with all the transparent signs it looks like something from an HG Wells story (y)

I agree first one also nice lines second one a little to busy as mentioned above somewhere

another vote for #1 as well. Clean and simple image taken at a good angle (y)

Thanks one and all.

Im really happy with the first as everything works, the second I really only took to show the place I went to. Its a huge kind of substation that covers about 2 acres I reckon, and the area is crackling with electricity. I saw it many years ago, and only just thought of it as suitable for the theme Saturday evening. Sadly, the industrial scale meant it lost some of the impact I had hoped for, but I think I got that back with my first shot.

The glass bits are electrical insulators, as this pylon is the first line out of the sub station,so I guess it carries a lot of power...

Fascinating if slightly scary place to be tbh.

A bit tight in the frame maybe, are they crazy fits the theme well

I agree it is a touch tightly framed but a dramatic photo. That's some trust the passenger has! Was this part of a show, although the background looks more like a car park so maybe not?

Crazy things people do. :runaway: It is a bit tight but I like it.

I like it too. As others have said, maybe a bit of a close crop. It certainly meets the theme.

Numbers - I like the camera lens better of the 2 for the theme, although the cartridges are an interesting shot too.
Attractive - good take on the theme and a photographer in it to prove your point.
Dark - good work with the light painting.
Power - I like the first better too it is less cluttered and an interesting detail.
Above - a very dramatic shot and a brave passenger

Nice shoehorn I think Mark, think I might be joining you too, good well timed shot.

A bit tight in the frame maybe, are they crazy fits the theme well

Well, it isn't! Great shot, maybe a bit tightly framed.

I agree it is a touch tightly framed but a dramatic photo. That's some trust the passenger has! Was this part of a show, although the background looks more like a car park so maybe not?

Cool - For me it works, as One rider is Above the other too :D - Nice timing :)

1st Power photo is a stunning subject, well framed. Above is just scary :D

Crazy things people do. :runaway: It is a bit tight but I like it.

I like it too. As others have said, maybe a bit of a close crop. It certainly meets the theme.

Well caught Mark ...split second timing.

That's terrifying :eek:! Very nicely timed (y)

Numbers - I like the camera lens better of the 2 for the theme, although the cartridges are an interesting shot too.
Attractive - good take on the theme and a photographer in it to prove your point.
Dark - good work with the light painting.
Power - I like the first better too it is less cluttered and an interesting detail.
Above - a very dramatic shot and a brave passenger

Thanks all....
This was taken in a cattle shed @ Stoneleigh at a Bikeshow, and the guy was literally within touching distance. Im more than disappointed with the focus on this, and Im really hoping its due to operator error. The tight crop is to remove a LOT of clutter in the frame.....

Not my best work for sure.....

Well.
Ive never felt completely stumped with a theme as I have this week.
My initial thought was a Crocodile as they havent really evolved much at all.
Them overnight, I thought a Chimp would be perfect, as we are evolved from them.
Got up this morning and drove to Whipsnade - only to discover it totally and I mean TOTALLY rammed with pushchairs and screaming kids. Not my idea of fun.
Decided to bail out and thought I could go to Tring Natural History Museum and get my Ape shot there.
Then I had an idea that I THOUGHT would work well.....

ONLY it didnt....
After I had shot it I wasnt happy, and the results on screen only confirmed my misery.

So, for my first time on the 52, I am submitting an image that I know is pure rubbish, and I hate that.

TBH,I couldnt even make up a decent shoehorn in the time available......

Anyway, this bag of Sh1t is "Evolved"

Evolve by Mark P, on Flickr

It certainly has its faults but i do like the thought behind it, not sure how that spoon would work :D

these horrible themes come up all the time, get something in and move on, the funny thing is that in the next few days something might well come to mind

Back