weekly Hertsmans 52 for 2017 Rustic,Festive, weather added-and DONE !

As an idea I think it is very clever and with a few tweaks would be great. Slightly better lighting and a crisp clean background would work wonders. And don't worry, we all have PABD weeks where the theme stumps us and yet everyone else ends up liking the shot.

PS like the upside down selfie in the spoon :p

It made me smile Mark, nowt wrong with the idea .... we all have weeks when we aren't happy with what we post. I think if you had maybe whittled a spoon :) from a larger piece of wood it would look more convincing ...but hey, it's Thursday and we'll have a brand new theme, keep positive.

The idea is there although I can't see many cavemen using a spoon :D

(y)

Above - Great skillz from the rider. The look of concentration is great.
it's amazing the tricks these guys can do, I'm not sure I have the balls to pull wheelies anymore...
I would drag the right hand levels slider to the left to give it a bit more punch, but that's just my preference.

Evolve(d) - Lol, that's a brilliant idea for the theme. I don't care that there are blown bits, it's this kind of shot that produces the smiles that make doing the 52 fun. :clap:
Oh, and nice selfie too ;)

Hi Mark, you might hate it but I quite like the shot. As all those years ago cavemen used tools like this to eat, so it has Evolved to the new now, so on to next week :)

It certainly has its faults but i do like the thought behind it, not sure how that spoon would work :D

these horrible themes come up all the time, get something in and move on, the funny thing is that in the next few days something might well come to mind

Made me laugh, brilliant interpretation :D

Very clever idea! I like it.

As an idea I think it is very clever and with a few tweaks would be great. Slightly better lighting and a crisp clean background would work wonders. And don't worry, we all have PABD weeks where the theme stumps us and yet everyone else ends up liking the shot.

PS like the upside down selfie in the spoon :p

Really clever take on the theme. I don't think I'd have much success trying to eat a bowl of soup with that spoon though :)

It made me smile Mark, nowt wrong with the idea .... we all have weeks when we aren't happy with what we post. I think if you had maybe whittled a spoon :) from a larger piece of wood it would look more convincing ...but hey, it's Thursday and we'll have a brand new theme, keep positive.

The idea is there although I can't see many cavemen using a spoon :D

(y)

The shot itself might be a bit rushed, but the idea is brilliant! It really made me smile - very original :clap:

Above - Great skillz from the rider. The look of concentration is great.
it's amazing the tricks these guys can do, I'm not sure I have the balls to pull wheelies anymore...
I would drag the right hand levels slider to the left to give it a bit more punch, but that's just my preference.

Evolve(d) - Lol, that's a brilliant idea for the theme. I don't care that there are blown bits, it's this kind of shot that produces the smiles that make doing the 52 fun. :clap:
Oh, and nice selfie too ;)

Awww. you guys......you are way to kind I think.....but - I really appreciate the support. If it made you smile, Im happy.
The spoon stick was meant to be more of a "pusher" like kids have......

Anyway, onwards and upwards.....
I have a half decent idea for hold, and maybe a better one if Im allowed out on my own Monday........

Well you Hold a plectrum so I think it fits the theme really well. It does seem a little flat on my screen so wonder if a contrast boost might help.

i like both variations of hold in this, the box and the fact that you hold a plectrum on theme for me

Really up against this week, and tried to get the shot I wanted more than a few times.
I consider this a placeholder really as its not the shot I wanted to put up.

Anyways,

There's no SMOKE without fire.....

Smoke by Mark P, on Flickr

Hold, like the placement of the plectrums as if they are falling out of the nicely made box, to hold them and keep safe. Think the BG goes well with the set up too :)

Not sure about the theme but image wise I like it. Very colourful and well-composed shot.

Cool... what a splendid box, you have brought out the detail really nicely for a black surface, well handled exposure :)

A nice selection of plectrums and I like the way you have set the scene with them laid out, very effective (y)

That looks great Mark - good detail on the box and the bright colours look good against the white (y)

Nice shot, good colours on the plectrums and nice to have the background to the box which has good detail on it.

Interesting selection and box.

Thanks everyone, Im happy enough with the shot and I love the little box.

Well you Hold a plectrum so I think it fits the theme really well. It does seem a little flat on my screen so wonder if a contrast boost might help.

Jill, looks fine on my calibrated screen and HAS had contrast boost....

i like both variations of hold in this, the box and the fact that you hold a plectrum on theme for me

Nicely thought out and laid out. I was pondering the same thing that Jill mentioned, whether a boost in saturation or clarity might give it some extra b00m.
Just a thought.
Tim, see above

That's a very original idea for the theme Mark, really nicely done with all those bright plectrums tumbling out of the box. (and that's a very nice handmade box too :))

Thanks Susie

I like that, and a nice B+W conversion, would lose or perhaps darken the light patch at the bottom maybe

Good take on the theme, hope you can get the shot you want later as I know what it's like when you have your mind set on a shot but haven't got it. This is still a strong shot though.

Another one for cloning out that light patch at bottom. But ... nice focus, nice tones, no fire without smoke eh!

Another one to lose the patch but a great shot and works really well in B&W. Lots of lovely texture and details :)

No Smoke without fire, now I like this shot Mark as on theme but in a different kind of way. Good clear focus on the lit match and goes well in mono and a good dark BG to help set it off :plus1:

I like that, and a nice B+W conversion, would lose or perhaps darken the light patch at the bottom maybe

Good take on the theme, hope you can get the shot you want later as I know what it's like when you have your mind set on a shot but haven't got it. This is still a strong shot though.

Nice take on smoke, gives a sort of intense feel.

I like this a lot Mark - great texture on the skin and strong focus on the match. I agree with Allan that darkening the clothing at the bottom would help it not be a distraction.

Another one for cloning out that light patch at bottom. But ... nice focus, nice tones, no fire without smoke eh!

Once someone points something out your eyes keep being drawn to it so I agree about that light patch Mark, but its a smashing photo, spot on focus and an original idea for the theme.

Another one to lose the patch but a great shot and works really well in B&W. Lots of lovely texture and details :)

I agree with Allan about the light patch at the bottom, otherwise it's a good strong shot, well thought out and executed.

Thanks one and all.... I do see a theme emerging here - not just of this image but of my pics in general. I seem to obsess on the centre of the image and miss the edges - I keep thinking Ive learnt this lesson and keeep proving I havnt!
Practise makes perfect - hopefully!

When I get a minute, I will re process the pic to lose the highlighted area. Personally, I just felt it was bit to similar to my comfort shot, but Im still glad for the feedback.

So, another week rolls by, and another theme. Saw all the Gorse in bloom whilst away and was trying to link it into both the theme and our hols....
Think I got it ?

Vivid
Torridon-5 by Mark P, on Flickr

Last edited:
The gorse looks great against the rugged rock - hopefully you managed a few shots you were pleased with?

A few @Emja ,yes thanks - on Flickr now.....
Im happy enough with the set, but the Red Deer are probably my faves - along with the Turnstones.

Oh, and BTW, thats a 3200 feet mountain in the BG.....

Nicely composed with the line of snow leading down the the bright gorse, good fit for the theme.

Back