weekly Hertsmans 52 for 2017 Rustic,Festive, weather added-and DONE !

Song - Works well for the song you have chosen nothing else to add that hasn't allready been said
Order - fun shot and a clever Idea for the set up.

Choice of two ....

Personal preference is the former, but I like the idea in the latter. Im well aware the flash makes the shadows to harsh, but Id like ideas on what would improve the idea....

Comfort in Sound....

Comfort2 by Mark P, on Flickr

Comfort...

Comfort by Mark P, on Flickr

Can`t help you on ideas Mark, on the shots my choice has got to be the 2nd, as it goes well in mono. I like the little glint on the ring and don`t mind the shadows :)

I wouldnt mind the shadows if they wernt quite so harsh.....needed to reshoot wiiht lower flash, but her ladyship had finsihed the tea by then !

Second one for me too - possibly because the hands better express Comfort. Tough call on improvements - hands say a lot, the ring says something too ... maybe a bit of steam !?!?

#2 ... nice one for the theme. Good advice above re flash/lighting.

#2 for me, slightly defused light would improve, but nice low POV.

Cheers.

Second one for me too - possibly because the hands better express Comfort. Tough call on improvements - hands say a lot, the ring says something too ... maybe a bit of steam !?!?

Second for me too - I like the angle of the cup and the lovely detail on the hands. Maybe using a fixed light instead of flash through white material would have softened the shadows enough?

#2 ... nice one for the theme. Good advice above re flash/lighting.

Thanks guys. In some ways, I kinda rushed at this. I liked the angles I was getting, but couldnt get the lighting quite right. I was using OCF, BUT what I should have also done is to dial back the flash power as that woud have made a huge difference.
Another week done, and another lesson learnt....

Thanks to some others in the lighting fora I now know how to use my flash off camera without a cable or radio trigger.....

Thanks guys. In some ways, I kinda rushed at this. I liked the angles I was getting, but couldnt get the lighting quite right. I was using OCF, BUT what I should have also done is to dial back the flash power as that woud have made a huge difference.
Another week done, and another lesson learnt....

Thanks to some others in the lighting fora I now know how to use my flash off camera without a cable or radio trigger.....

Was the flash defused in anyway, softbox for example? How far away was the flash?

Hi Andy, I used the built in additional diffuser on the SB700 and it was held at least 8 feet back, but as I said, in many ways I rushed the shot and didnt think to dial in some flash compensation which is nearly always required in my experience.

Hi Andy, I used the built in additional diffuser on the SB700 and it was held at least 8 feet back, but as I said, in many ways I rushed the shot and didnt think to dial in some flash compensation which is nearly always required in my experience.

I use the SB700 as well. Softening the shadows with a softbox will help, quite cheap from Amazon.

Depends how serious you want to be.

Getting the light closer will also soften it.

Of, course, you might already be aware of the above (y)

Kinda...I do have a small softbox, but generally find flash comp negates the need for it..
I think it was as much the mrs getting bored as me rushing the shot tbh...

On the other hand, my only idea so far this week is my pubes,so I best get my thinking head on !!!!

Hi Mark,
Well... Your taste in music is a bit suspect. The Levellers :) Nickelback :), but Genesis... All that good work ruined!!!:runaway:

I think I prefer the second shot, the way the hand appear out of The Darkness (hmm another carp band;))
I agree with the comments on the shadows, they are a bit harsh. Reading the comments though, seems you've got the ideas for improving it and having another go sometime.

I love the mug shot just the way it is/ The sepia processing, the dog and the catchlights on the top of the cup and the ring lift it a little. :clap:

Well, this one had me thinking thats for sure. Thought Id cracked it with a coconut and some lego figures, and @Carl Ayling beats me to it....

Id seen some shrubs with these kind of seed pod along the A41 so had a look out for some that I could nick. Driving around this arvo, I saw this great bush covered in these, right on the front of somenes garden....so, quick as a flash, I jumped out and nicked a few pieces....
Bloody tough to expose correctly tho... I ended up at 20 secs, ISO 1250 F20 to get any decent depth in the image.

Anyways...

Hairy

Hairy by Mark P, on Flickr

Good choice for the theme, the lights good and i Iove the dark blue of the BG,
thank god you didn't resort to lego (y)

Nice subject for Hairy, lots of detail to look at with neutral background. Focus stacking would probably work better for this, I've read about it but not tried it. Few dust spots showing up at F20 too :D

He he he ... sorry about that Mark. Wow what a strange looking plant - wonder what it looks like in season? Yes, I can see that would be challenging to expose correctly but you've done a terrific job there. Off centre compo and good colour combination. :clap:

Worth the effort, a really good photo for hairy, I like it a lot

Like Emma @Emja I suspect that its "Old man's beard"

Lots of detail in there, well captured Mark (y)

Comfort #2 for me, great PoV.

I love the detail in your submission for hairy against the deep blue background.

Nice hairy plant Mark, love the bg as it sets off the plant beautifully, good lighting and focus :)

Good choice for the theme, the lights good and i Iove the dark blue of the BG,
thank god you didn't resort to lego (y)

Thank you.

Nice subject for Hairy, lots of detail to look at with neutral background. Focus stacking would probably work better for this, I've read about it but not tried it. Few dust spots showing up at F20 too :D

Damn, did I miss some ? ;)

He he he ... sorry about that Mark. Wow what a strange looking plant - wonder what it looks like in season? Yes, I can see that would be challenging to expose correctly but you've done a terrific job there. Off centre compo and good colour combination. :clap:

I'll forgive you once Carl.... ;) and Ta!
Worth the effort, a really good photo for hairy, I like it a lot

Very nicely done - Old Man's Beard I think? I've never managed a decent shot of this stuff - I love the background you chose.

Lovely detail in there Mark, the background, whatever it is sets it off beautifully, well lit too, nice one (y)

Like Emma @Emja I suspect that its "Old man's beard"

Lots of detail in there, well captured Mark (y)

Comfort #2 for me, great PoV.

I love the detail in your submission for hairy against the deep blue background.

Thanks guys, I was beginning to depair at this one, so happy to have not only taken the pic but clearly presented it well.

For the record, that piece above was about an inch and a half long, and the background my default black card sheet.

Along with the rest of the world, I prefer the second 'comfort' shot. You've been given all the advice you need for now on lighting!

I like 'hairy'. The graininess from using high ISO adds a load of texture and you've struck a balance between having enough DOF to clearly see the plant but not so much as to flatten it out. I wish you'd cloned out the dust spots though!

Liking the Hairy shot a lot. Lots of detail and the lighting turning the black background navy sets it oof nicely. Good composition too.

Colours all work well together in this. Great detail, and lovin` the abstract nature (y)

A bit of a shoe horn Mark, but who am I to question them? :D

Back